Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Points of View On Violence in the NFL
Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Points of View On Violence in the NFL

Why are Harrison's bosses blameless? - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

This article focuses on James Harrison, and tries to understand this controversey from his point of view.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

In fact, many of these NFL players are extremely generous people and deserve to be respected on many levels.

I would like to see some control on these high hits especially coming on from a pass catcher's blind side. The human body just can't take a lot of these, and sometimes really doesn't survive even one or two very well. And I really can't can't watch it either. These players are human men, not icons in a video game.

But blaming "mean" players is just more of the typical hypocrisy that most of us are so used to that we hardly notice.

Even years ago in highschool, the coaches- always pillars of the community- would tell us- "Son, break that MOFOs f*ckin neck. You want to put him down so he won't get up."

Nice message to give a 16-18 year old boy! And of course that boy could figure that the opposing coaches were giving the same uplifting instructions to their players.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why are Harrison's bosses blameless? - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

This article focuses on James Harrison, and tries to understand this controversey from his point of view.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

In fact, many of these NFL players are extremely generous people and deserve to be respected on many levels.

I would like to see some control on these high hits especially coming on from a pass catcher's blind side. The human body just can't take a lot of these, and sometimes really doesn't survive even one or two very well. And I really can't can't watch it either. These players are human men, not icons in a video game.

But blaming "mean" players is just more of the typical hypocrisy that most of us are so used to that we hardly notice.

Even years ago in highschool, the coaches- always pillars of the community- would tell us- "Son, break that MOFOs f*ckin neck. You want to put him down so he won't get up."

Nice message to give a 16-18 year old boy! And of course that boy could figure that the opposing coaches were giving the same uplifting instructions to their players.

Ha
Aside from the tremendous pressure to "win" at all costs, for some reason Americans seem to want something akin to "championship wrestling" rather than sport. My view on the helmet hits and so forth in the NFL is that it really takes away from the game. I don't watch much sports these days, but a cursory glance at any game on Sunday will show lots of big hits that make the highlight reel, but, IMHO, it will also show lots of missed tackles, because the defender wanted to make the big hit, and if their timing is off, they miss what should have been an easy tackle. Football and hockey are both physical sports, and people do get hurt, but dirty play just doesn't do it for me. Apparently I'm in the minority on that one...
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
It all starts in youth sports. Any coaches who teach this head-first, helmet-as-a-weapon form of tackling to high schoolers (and younger) should be banned from participation in youth sports.

Most NFL fans like the big "WOW" hits that almost knock a guy out of his socks. But we like them clean and without cheap shots aimed for, or leading with, the head (or aimed at the knees, for that matter).
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
I think part of the problem is too much equipment; like too much technology - we put too much faith in its ability to protect the person.

It would be interesting to see a NFL team play an Australian team in Australian Rule Football.

Australian Rules Football
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
I think this whole thing is silly. I'm a big football fan, I don't know any fan who likes seeing spearing and other obviously illegal hits. However, when the league does what they did this week and starts changing the rules after the fact, it bothers me.

Face it, people love to see receivers get popped by safeties and corners. That's a big part of the appeal of the game.
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I think this whole thing is silly. I'm a big football fan, I don't know any fan who likes seeing spearing and other obviously illegal hits. However, when the league does what they did this week and starts changing the rules after the fact, it bothers me.
After what fact? And as regards the appeal of the game, you speak for yourself only.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
73ss454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: LaLa Land
Posts: 4,378
One poster mentioned hockey, the refs let these guys fight it out and just stand around and watch. I believe the refs are told to sit back because the fights promote viewers and viewers bring money. Money is what it's all about.
__________________
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
One poster mentioned hockey, the refs let these guys fight it out and just stand around and watch. I believe the refs are told to sit back because the fights promote viewers and viewers bring money. Money is what it's all about.
True, but fist fighting (not actiual boxing) or even sticking is less dangerous than the spinal cord and brain injuries that can occur when one very powerful person launches himself against another's head and neck, often after a good run to build up momentum.

Even many of the play by play guys want reform.

I saw Steve Young discussing this, he wants change, and he should know a little about blind side hits- both on himself and on his receivers. His comment- the NFL will change this. They don't want someone killed on Sunday afternoon TV.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 60
I don't think fines are the answer, it has to be suspensions. I'd be happy with a fine of $50k first offense, then 1 game for repeats. If the player is injured by spearing, the spearee should sit the same number of games as the injured player.

Spearing would cease pronto.

Does the Commisioner have the kahones? Not!
__________________
Pie Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,885
If it's my favorite team doing the hitting, than I'm all for it. If it's an opposing team, then that's a cheap shot Just kidding!

Some hits are blatently dirty, but some calls you have to let them play (it isn't touch football). Nothing more disappointing that having the refs decide the game by penalties. There's enough of that in Basketball.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
If it's my favorite team doing the hitting, than I'm all for it. If it's an opposing team, then that's a cheap shot Just kidding!

Some hits are blatently dirty, but some calls you have to let them play (it isn't touch football). Nothing more disappointing that having the refs decide the game by penalties. There's enough of that in Basketball.
Yeah, but the downside is sitting for 10 minutes while they haul the body off the field. Too many commercials.
__________________
Pie Floater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
After what fact? And as regards the appeal of the game, you speak for yourself only.

Ha
I think after all your posts you should add a note saying that you speak for yourself only

The fact is that this type of hitting has been going on for a long time. The NFL decided AFTER the games last sunday to retroactively change the rules and fine their players.

I guess in your mind we should just give them flags and not allow any tackling.

FYI - the player on the receiving end of the biggest hit last week said it was ok and he would want a player like that on his own team.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/f...-from-retiring
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I think after all your posts you should add a note saying that you speak for yourself only

The fact is that this type of hitting has been going on for a long time. The NFL decided AFTER the games last sunday to retroactively change the rules and fine their players.

I guess in your mind we should just give them flags and not allow any tackling.
I'll do you a favor and not comment on your mind reading regarding flag football.

And as regards "after the fact", aren't meaningful reforms always made in response to events, and thus necessarily after the fact?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
The fact is that this type of hitting has been going on for a long time. The NFL decided AFTER the games last sunday to retroactively change the rules and fine their players.

I guess in your mind we should just give them flags and not allow any tackling.
That's not true. Helmet-to-helmet hits have been against the rules for a while now. Fines have been given out for years. The change is the level of enforcement is increasing to include larger fines and potential suspensions.

It's not flag football but the goal should be to tackle the player as soon as possible not as hard as possible. People are intentionally trying to injure other players and that's inexcuseable.
__________________
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
That's not true. Helmet-to-helmet hits have been against the rules for a while now. Fines have been given out for years. The change is the level of enforcement is increasing to include larger fines and potential suspensions.

It's not flag football but the goal should be to tackle the player as soon as possible not as hard as possible. People are intentionally trying to injure other players and that's inexcuseable.
I believe that Sports Center and all the highlight films are what is being played to here. This has nothing to do with winning the game, only to create a fearsome reputation, notoriety, and (they hope) more money.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe that Sports Center and all the highlight films are what is being played to here. This has nothing to do with winning the game, only to create a fearsome reputation, notoriety, and (they hope) more money.

Ha
I stopped playing football in HS. Even then, half your job as a linebacker was not only to hit the receiver, but to hit him hard enough to give him a second thought about reaching for the next ball. Intimidation has ALWAYS been part of the game.
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
saluki9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It's not flag football but the goal should be to tackle the player as soon as possible not as hard as possible. People are intentionally trying to injure other players and that's inexcuseable.
I will also add that some of the nastiest hitters, guys really trying to hurt other players like LT, Butkis, etc played long before Sports Center and other cable sports shows.
__________________
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
My uncle was the team physician for the UofOR. He was always concerned about hits that injure the head and neck, two concussions and the player warmed the bench for the rest of the year, a third and you were off the team. I do not like to see young people risk their future for the sake of a game. Accidents happen but to tolerate purposeful injury is inexcusable.

My $0.02.
__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Free To Canoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cooksburg,PA
Posts: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
I think this whole thing is silly. I'm a big football fan, I don't know any fan who likes seeing spearing and other obviously illegal hits. However, when the league does what they did this week and starts changing the rules after the fact, it bothers me.

Face it, people love to see receivers get popped by safeties and corners. That's a big part of the appeal of the game.
It is my understanding that the NFL administrators review the rules at the end of each season and make changes as necessary.
I support increased head protection for the players and I do not applaud when my own team or any one else violates them.

I consider it a problem that the NFL suddenly and arbitrarily decides to change the rules in mid season for specific players. This lack of consistancy indicates that the NFL is poorly managed.

Free to Canoe
__________________
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,913
I prefer that they change the rules for safety ASAP, I do not support changing rules for specific players. If a player is willfully engaging in actions that puts others in danger then address that but maybe that should be the overriding philosophy of the rule changes. During the course of a game a player's actions result in penalties against the team, there still needs to be the option of penalties against a specific player for violations of the overriding philosophy.

I love football but will not support it if players are put in danger.
__________________

__________________
Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kidnappings and Violence in Mexico chinaco Travel Information 125 04-25-2009 02:04 PM
Humans Crave Violence Just Like Sex Wags Other topics 8 01-20-2008 10:59 AM
Iraqi Violence is Down samclem Other topics 14 12-21-2007 07:37 PM
My NFL quarterback can whup your NFL quarterback... saluki9 Other topics 11 10-10-2007 08:14 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.