Join Early Retirement Today

Poisoned Alcohol During Prohibition.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? 10,000 dead!

"The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition with deadly consequences."

The little-told story of how the U.S. government poisoned alcohol during Prohibition. - By Deborah Blum - Slate Magazine
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never heard of this. If true, it ranks right up there with some of the medical experimentation the government supposedly did on unsuspecting populations. My Dad used to talk about Prohibition and about how people he knew got sick or even died drinking the boot-legged stuff. He says one always bought orange soda pop to swill along with it to make it more palatable. He told us a story of how he went drinking one night(favorite party spot was a cemetary), and he woke up in a church on pew and couldn't recall getting there. He found his car later parked just a short distance from going into the Ohio River. This ended his moonshine consumption days.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Just goes to prove my feeling that NO government should ever be completely trusted.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Just goes to prove my feeling that NO government should ever be completely trusted.
Only a fool would disagree with that, Nodak. But we still need to work together in this country to try and make it better. Doesn't that make sense, too?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny - Paraquat pot was the first thing that jumped to mind - and there it is in the article.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Only a fool would disagree with that, Nodak. But we still need to work together in this country to try and make it better. Doesn't that make sense, too?
I really should revise what I said. It's not so much government that I distrust. I do, however, distrust anyone that likes power. Anyone that desires power over another, or who thinks they know how things should be done should never be trusted. The way to get me to really trust government would be to term limit all politicians. there should never be a career politician.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Several times I have wondered if we should elect presidents by lot.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I really should revise what I said. It's not so much government that I distrust. I do, however, distrust anyone that likes power. Anyone that desires power over another, or who thinks they know how things should be done should never be trusted. The way to get me to really trust government would be to term limit all politicians. there should never be a career politician.
That's fair. I get you, Nodak.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another reason you should always make/brew/roll your own. Just like investing.

-CC
Old 02-27-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post

Another reason you should always make/brew/roll your own. Just like investing.

-CC
I guess Brewer has all of the fronts well covered then.
Reminds a bit of the Tuskegee experiment.
Only much worse.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote