Police response to traffic accidents?

PX4sc40sw

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm noticing that police are very slow to respond to traffic accidents in my city. Currently in city of 3,000,000 metro. 650,000 city.

I've seen 2 fender benders in 2 days. Response time has been 15-20 minutes even though both accidents were blocking intersections. The accident location is within sight of one precinct headquarters and about 8 city blocks from city hQs of police, sheriff, and courthouse.

My brother mentioned that in his smaller city, they now have Renta Cops do that kind of work. Farmed out to a private enterprise.

Are all cities that slow to respond? If their had been a serious injury they would be very at risk.

In our car accident last year the police were on the scene quite fast. Fire department was right behind them. They all did a great job.

My only personal experience as of late.

We were centerpunched eight days ago, while waiting to come out of a parking lot onto a busy street in Kenner, Louisiana (a far out suburb of New Orleans). The other car was turning into the parking lot but didn't make the turn completely. The other driver was an elderly woman driving a new Cadillac who appeared to both have Alzheimers, and also to be on some heavy medications. Nobody was hurt though I was scared. We were not blocking any street or intersection, though for a while we blocked the exit from the parking lot.

It took the police about 30-40 minutes to show up. When he arrived he was wearing a bullet proof vest. There was a murder at about the same time not too far away. The policeman did a good job of taking all the information down and taking care of business. He said the woman shouldn't be driving so I presume he took care of that after he told us we could go.

Last edited:
OK, sounds like some places still do respond and the results may be mixed. But I just had to wander down and eves (eaves, ease, ??) drop. The policeman seemed uninterested in hearing either parties story. One a Somali cab driver, and the other a Middle Eastern oil sheik evidently, driving a S-Class Mercedes saloon ($100k at least).

Copper was interested in one thing, making a dime. He breathalyzed both. Looked to see if any STOP signs had been run.

He last comment was, "you insurance companies will have to settle it.".

Gosh, he was worth every penny.

But, I guess we did something to get to this point.

Goouud Looord, as one of my former students from Texas used to say. I could have went another half-century without knowing that.

I just searched the wife's cabinets for some Brandy (cooking grade) and I'm gonna drink it.

The police are being put in the middle of this whole thing. The job of a policeman used to be to protect the public, now it's to fleece it. No wonder they jump at the chance to taze someone.

After you read this, you'll be glad they don't come to the scene of the accident:

AccidentTax.com | Home

Heh, I have had Queens cops take 45 minutes to show up,take a look, see that nobody is drunk or injured, laugh, and drive off. Be happy they did anything for you...

I'm noticing that police are very slow to respond to traffic accidents in my city. Currently in city of 3,000,000 metro. 650,000 city.
I've seen 2 fender benders in 2 days. Response time has been 15-20 minutes even though both accidents were blocking intersections. The accident location is within sight of one precinct headquarters and about 8 city blocks from city hQs of police, sheriff, and courthouse.
My brother mentioned that in his smaller city, they now have Renta Cops do that kind of work. Farmed out to a private enterprise.
Are all cities that slow to respond? If their had been a serious injury they would be very at risk.
A few comments.

Does your city or your local newspapers put out any response-time information to help you figure out if it's slowing down? Otherwise you're depending on anecdotal information instead of facts.

Is there any way to tell what else is happening when the accident occurs? As another poster noted, if all available police are responding to a higher-priority call when the accident happens then it's going to take a while for a response.

On Oahu a call to 911 is met with the response "Fire, police, or ambulance?" So if there was a serious injury then it wouldn't depend on police response time. Perhaps there's a similar system in your city.

The job of a policeman used to be to protect the public, now it's to fleece it.
Gosh, imagine if someone characterized whatever occupation you used to proudly pursue in such a manner. Wouldn't that seem like an offensive over-generalization?

Frankly, I could care less if the police take 30-45 minutes for a non-injury fender bender or such.
There are only so many police officers and fender benders, I would think, would be pretty low on the priority list.
If there was some story about police responding to a fender bender BEFORE a domestic, or murder, I bet many of the same people critical of their response time would turn around and scream about them not having priorities in place.

After you read this, you'll be glad they don't come to the scene of the accident:

AccidentTax.com | Home

Had not hear of or encountered here in sunny AZ. They can impose stupid tax though when idiots go around barricades and enter wash areas during our flood season. It is really dangerous and expensive to do rushing walls of water rescues. I'm sure that they will be starting again very soon as we aproach the monsoons! Multiple copters, fire trucks and up to 20 specially trained rescue personnel and every year we lose civillians who have no sense. The rescue teams do put their lives on the line for these and if they get hit with a 10K bill and insurance doesn't cover it tough luck!

accidents that arent serious are very low priority in most cities.... sometimes ill have my scanner on here in nyc to hear whats going on and some acident responces can be an hour wait...

heres a little tid bit i bet ya'all arent aware of...

most courts will not accept an accident report even with an admittance of guilt on it as admitting to an officer an accident was your fault carrys no more weight then saying it wasnt your fault..basically you talk and they write , unless they saw the accident or had an easy identifiable cause such as someone had a stop sign or failed to yield its all considered heresay......

we couldnt believe in a case where the other party admited in the accident report hitting us that in court he changed his story to we hit him..... i said okay we have the acident report where he states the opposite ,this will be a slam dunk....thats when we found out the report cant be used without the officer present and since officers here arent allowed to go to court for all but the most serious accidents the report couldnt be used as it cant be cross examined.

Oh, it's easily the dominant topic in city council meeting notes and articles written in what is left of newspaper reporting here in the city. But a hint, don't count on newspapers to report much these days, they are struggling to keep advertising dollars to stay afloat.

But the sparse news that does come out is that downtown response times (Central District) doubled in the last 3 years. During those years the PD has spent millions on a nationwide campaign to recruit officers from NYPD, Raleigh, Chicago, etc. With excellent results.

One politician claims that that was the big mistake and that the "imported" cops do not have knowledge of the area, or understanding of the locals. Implied is, "they sit around eating donuts...".

In that same 3 year period, ticketing for traffic offenses is up 36%. Parking ticketing is up a similar amount and jaywalking has become a heinous crime. Ticketing for jaywalking tripled in those 3 years.

I have a police scanner and at the time of the accidents (Sunday at 2pm and Monday at 3pm), I heard the call go out to respond, but other than that it sounded like responses were "a tourist reporting lost/stolen wallet, a group of teens in front of McDs harassing customers' and that was about it. Not exactly bedlam.

Oh yeah for sure, I was a tenured physics professor and we were characterized by what might seem to the sensitive type person, "an over-generalization". But we actually were "untouchable, over-paid, past our use-by date...."

Sometimes things really are what they appear to be, no matter how sensitive some may be to the exposing of such.

A few comments.

Does your city or your local newspapers put out any response-time information to help you figure out if it's slowing down? Otherwise you're depending on anecdotal information instead of facts.

Is there any way to tell what else is happening when the accident occurs? As another poster noted, if all available police are responding to a higher-priority call when the accident happens then it's going to take a while for a response.

On Oahu a call to 911 is met with the response "Fire, police, or ambulance?" So if there was a serious injury then it wouldn't depend on police response time. Perhaps there's a similar system in your city.

Gosh, imagine if someone characterized whatever occupation you used to proudly pursue in such a manner. Wouldn't that seem like an offensive over-generalization?

mathjak107, I was never a scanner type until I got to NYC and heard the very entertaining scanner of a neighbor. A real eyeopener if ever there was one. I love to hear the banter and try to read between the lines.

Thanks for pointing out that information. That makes it even more frustrating that people in an accident have to wait for someone to arrive and then that arriving officer is just a stenographer with a disappearing ink.

In retirement, I am sitting in various court rooms just to listen and the game is to have the defense lawyer wait to see if the officer shows, if not the case is dismissed, it he is there, the lawyer asks for a new court date cause his client is sick.

Sheesh, nice system.

accidents that arent serious are very low priority in most cities.... sometimes ill have my scanner on here in nyc to hear whats going on and some acident responces can be an hour wait...

heres a little tid bit i bet ya'all arent aware of...

most courts will not accept an accident report even with an admittance of guilt on it as admitting to an officer an accident was your fault carrys no more weight then saying it wasnt your fault..basically you talk and they write , unless they saw the accident or had an easy identifiable cause such as someone had a stop sign or failed to yield its all considered heresay......

we couldnt believe in a case where the other party admited in the accident report hitting us that in court he changed his story to we hit him..... i said okay we have the acident report where he states the opposite ,this will be a slam dunk....thats when we found out the report cant be used without the officer present and since officers here arent allowed to go to court for all but the most serious accidents the report couldnt be used as it cant be cross examined.

Brewer12345,
that is pretty close to what happened in this accident, at the 20 minute mark, 2 squad cars arrive (why 2 is beyond me), they create a real hazard with all the turning across traffic, etc.

Look for drunk drivers (think $$$ in their eyes) and pretty much chat with the other copper, and laugh, drive off. Worthless really.

But, if either driver had driven off (exchanged ins. info), they would have been cited for leaving an accident scene.

I'm seriously wondering if this is new policy or just degeneration of service?

Heh, I have had Queens cops take 45 minutes to show up,take a look, see that nobody is drunk or injured, laugh, and drive off. Be happy they did anything for you...

In Chicago, a city of about 3mil, 20-30min is a fantastic response time. A traffic accident without personal injury, damage to other property, or some criminal element, i.e. intoxication, is really a civil matter to be decided by the courts and insurance companies. If the vehicles are drivable from the scene they are advised to go into the nearest police station. It just isn't a priority. Most Police Officers spend the entire day driving from one call to the next in a backlog trying to catch up but never really able to. The next shift will start their day in a backlog. An Officer might be assigned a fire, battery in progress, burglary, auto accident, and domestic all at one time. It's just that busy here. Thats why you might see a police car drive by, see if anyone is injured, maybe get the cars to a safe place that don't block traffic and continue on. The public think the officer is blowing them off. They will know if it has already been assigned to another car. If it's a bad accident they will take it and have all their jobs re-assigned. Accidents are a terrible drain on manpower. A light rain can affect multiple shifts taking care of accidents. On a good day some areas have a dedicated accident car that might have several accidents ahead of you. Drivers without insurance or a license will require hours of paperwork and processing and bonding procedures. In a typical fender bender the only function the police have is to document driver and vehicle information in a report. The problem is very few of them are typical. Cars turn out to be stolen, have drugs and guns in them, people don't have a license or insurance, are drunk, or just abandon the car because they are driving on a suspended license. Then there is the complicating factors of DOT trucks, school buses, city buses and emergency vehicle accidents. You haven't seen anything until you handle a public transit bus accident in the inner city the bus driver says he had two passengers on it but when you get there 50 people swear they were on the bus.

It depends on the jurisdiction, how heavy the overall workload is, and conditions at the time. When I first started in 1973 every accident, no matter how minor, was investigated, a report written, and if appropriate, a ticket issued. Understand that the whole process in MD took at least an hour for even the most minor fender-benders. Later that changed to only writing accidents in which one or both vehicles had to be towed.

An accident with injuries at least doubled the time because then the officer had to go to the hospital for follow-up, and if he had to wait for the docs to finish, that could take several hours. I spent a lot of time waiting in emergency rooms. We were all on a first-name basis with the nurses.

During a snowstorm or other event that created a heavy accident workload, the policy could be temporarily changed to only write accidents in which someone was injured.

And ratface is right. A burglary or robbery in progress of course is a higher priority than a property damage-only car accident. And - this is the amazing part - people will actually lie to the police about who did what in an accident. So I think all those intersection traffic cameras are a great idea because they answer the question about "who ran the red light".

I love the traffic cameras. After Katrina, with all the explosion of drug activity and dopers, tremendous levels of violent crime, storm chaser illegals, and decimated police forces, driving on our major streets meant risking your life. In my suburb they put up the cameras after about a year, I guess, and traffic returned to normal very quickly. I am so thankful. I don't mind one bit. Traffic cameras were one of the biggest helps in our recovery and in returning to normal, IMO.

My point is that as ratface points out, yeah, traffic accidents are way down the list for the police.

So why not take that off their plate. Why not have an accident response team, no guns, no tazers, no sticky fingers.

Just institute a 444 number to dial when in an accident. "Ambulance, fire, investigator?".

Why the charade of having the super-busy police perform that service?

AFAIK in Los Angeles the police will not come to an accident if it the call in does not report an injury. Just a private matter for insurance. DW & I were in an accident where we were pushed across traffic lanes, sidewalk and into the wall of a house. Police came, no injuries, the only reason there is a report is the lady who forced the whole event took out a city tree.

The guys I train in Long Beach are now "not" responding to any accidents. Injury call in's get an ambulance, an EMS and a firetruck if on fire. Wrecker service is the responsibility of the motorist. Police respond only if traffic is slowed/blocked to the point that motorists cannot drive fast enough to be ticketed.

Sad, but true. It's about money.

AFAIK in Los Angeles the police will not come to an accident if it the call in does not report an injury. Just a private matter for insurance. DW & I were in an accident where we were pushed across traffic lanes, sidewalk and into the wall of a house. Police came, no injuries, the only reason there is a report is the lady who forced the whole event took out a city tree.

Back
Top Bottom