Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How would you compare today's political dialogue in the US with what it was pre-1990?
Nothing's changed, it's always been combative. 10 21.74%
The dialogue is more combative and less civil now. 35 76.09%
The dialogue is more civil now. 1 2.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Re: political dialogue in USA
Old 06-13-2006, 02:44 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I heard a commentator on NPR say something that struck a note with me.

He said something along the lines of 'the news provides less facts than ever'. *And then they go on to discuss about one fact that they did provide "what it means", or "how americans should feel about it" or whatever. *Then they go on to slander another network (but not directly) and say stuff like "the network america trusts" or "you heard it here first" or some other crap. *It's not just politics, it's everything.

What happened to providing information and allowing me to come up with my own views, opinions, etc.? *Silly pundits.

I've turned the sh!t off.

-CC

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
What happened to providing information and allowing me to come up with my own views, opinions, etc.? *Silly pundits.

-CC
Its funny, I listen to/watch less and less news any more. I pay pretty close attention to Bloomberg radio in the car, and I will watch Bloomberg TV for a few minutes in the morning while I slug coffee before getting in the car, but taht's about it. I find that when I shut the trash off in the car and fire up the ipod with some pleasant or interesting music, I get to/from work in a much better frame of mind.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaper Bunny
Well, when the resident pacifist wants to kick your ass, you've probably become a bit of a problematic a-hole.
I don't want to kick his ass. I want him to go away and not return, since he seems not to be able to contribute anything worthwhile here. I am vacillating between not feeding the troll and aggressively confronting his every useless bit of drivel.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-13-2006, 02:57 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
I heard a commentator on NPR say something that struck a note with me.

He said something along the lines of 'the news provides less facts than ever'. *And then they go on to discuss about one fact that they did provide "what it means", or "how americans should feel about it" or whatever. *Then they go on to slander another network (but not directly) and say stuff like "the network america trusts" or "you heard it here first" or some other crap. *It's not just politics, it's everything.

-CC
I still listen some to pubic radio but not as much as I used to. *What I find especially irritating are shows where they have a great guest and then people call in their questions. *Most of the questions are of no interest to me, putting it nicely. *I would much prefer a well prepared interviewer. *It seems to be the lazy way out. *But call in shows seem to be "in" right now.

Generally, I don't want to hear what one "man on the street" has to say. *Except here. *Among the creme de la creme. *Or hoi polloi. *Whatever.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I don't want to kick his ass. I want him to go away and not return, since he seems not to be able to contribute anything worthwhile here. I am vacillating between not feeding the troll and aggressively confronting his every useless bit of drivel.
Its a lot funnier if you wanna kick his ass. Work with me here?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Generally, I don't want to hear what one "man on the street" has to say. *Except here. *Among the creme de la creme. *Or hoi polloi. *Whatever.
C'mon, say it: the gutter.

I was listening to NPR a lot last year, but I found that they would frequently spend 20 minutes at a time reporting in detail on something that was A) very distressing to me and B) completely and irrevocably beyond my control. *It was like being tortured very slowly with small implements while driving. *No thanks.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Its a lot funnier if you wanna kick his ass.* Work with me here?
OK. I'd happily kick him in the balls if the opportunity presented itself (and I could post an "after" picture on teh forum).

- Will Rogers
Old 06-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, when the resident pacifist wants to kick your ass, you've probably become a bit of a problematic a-hole.
It may just be semantics, but there is a difference between a conscientious objector and a pacifist.* The first one just refuses to be a mercenary ass-kicker on religious grounds while the second one refuses to kick anyone's asses at all.

I think there's a punchline concerning that-- "Pacifist my a$$, I want to kick something!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:10 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Sigh.

You guys will do anything to let the air out of a good line...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I was listening to NPR a lot last year, but I found that they would frequently spend 20 minutes at a time reporting in detail on something that was A) very distressing to me and B) completely and irrevocably beyond my control. It was like being tortured very slowly with small implements while driving. No thanks.
Funny thing, same here -- NPR and its programming are losing me. Not to be uncompassionate, but if I hear one more 20 minute interview on a poverty stricken or oppressed or grieving family in the third world I think I'll go crazy. I know it's sad. I give to causes. But I'm not educated or even entertained by this over and over.

Or today, for example, an endless drone about a "sound sculpter" who took his cello bow, went to the Mexican border, held a stethoscope-type microphone up to the customs wall, and played it with his bow. Now THAT"S good reporting.

Anything better on satellite radio?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:19 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What happened to providing information and allowing me to come up with my own views, opinions, etc.?* Silly pundits.

Good for you. Our local news station (from a town of about 60,000) is much better than anything I have seen, mostly small town facts. Turn it to the Minnepolis/St. Paul stations, and it is TERROR AT 10! :

Both NPR and Fox News are full of ****.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Anything better on satellite radio?
Isn't that where Howard Stern went after he finished his NPR contract?

I listened to that guy when he was a tiny little rock & roll DJ in Washington, DC 25 years ago. Who could've predicted what he'd mutate into...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I get my news strictly from NPR, but yes, I've been listening to less and less because my anxiety keeps rising at a faster and faster rate. Every car bomb that kills 50 Iraqis just adds to that.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Illuminating replies.* You can always count on this group for varied, honest and interesting replies (and some fighting words, but that just makes it all the more interesting* )

Even though I remember strong feelings and strong words between politicians over the years concerning all the tough, divisive issues at hand,* I had to vote for "more combative and less civil today".*

Consistent thread throughout a lot of replies:* shallow, ratings-hungry media and pundits.* I remember seeing the old Crossfire years ago on PBS before it was called PBS (I think they called it NET for Nat'l Educational Television).* It was hosted by a middle-aged Bill Buckley, who, of course had some pretty strong opinions.* But the debate was much deeper and well thought out than the new-age Crossfire-type shows.* As Bill Bradley referred to the conversations "rat-a-tat-tat."*

Seems to me something happened, maybe in the late 80s and the beginning of the 90s.* The political strategists jabbed sharper, the media got less substantive, the moderates in Congress retired and talked about how the nature of the discourse changed for the worse.*

Even though we had George Wallace, the '68 Democratic Convention and all the chaos, we did have Uncle Walter (good point, delfina), somewhat less posturing and more governing and fewer recommendations to "excite the base" from the consultants.

I'm afraid to create a poll for the next obvious question:* Can we get it back?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

This hype behavior will stop when folks stop buying into it. Even the local news opens with "Breaking news...", give me a break!!

If there weren't a payoff they wouldn't do it. Perhaps educators and commentators will start critiquing the motives, actions and impact so that people will see it for what it is, a sucker's game.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
This hype behavior will stop when folks stop buying into it.
Brat, this brings up another point. Do "we the people" just get what we ask for? After all, the news divisions and political consultants are marketers that guage what the market wants and deliver the product.

How much of the problem, and I think it's fair to say we have a problem, is due to the voting (non-voting?) public? Have we lost our civic gene? Has the education system failed us in this regard? Have we lost our attention span due to technology? Are we just too fat and happy?

Old 06-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by califdreamer
Have we lost our attention span due to technology?
I'm sorry, I was flushing my cache. What was the question again?

Old 06-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Look at that cool ball!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I'm sorry, I was flushing my cache. What was the question again?