Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you think of Political Robocalls?
I hate them 45 88.24%
I find them annoying, but tolerable 5 9.80%
I kind of like them 0 0%
I really enjoy getting them 0 0%
Other 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

We've had our ringers turned off since our houseguests left in August. Now the robocalls are wearing out the RAM in our answering machine.

A few months ago we had an extremely annoying series of robocalls when a Honolulu city council member managed to get elected (he's a Republican) to finish out Abercrombie's term in the House of Representatives. (Abercrombie had to resign from the House to run for governor.) The newbie rep promptly started several weeks of numerous daily phone calls to solicit voter "feedback" and to remind us that he'd like to stay in the house. He also used most of his House franking budget to send out snail-mail "surveys" and "opinion polls" with the same objective. The backlash was so vicious, though, that he's hardly used those techniques at all in this fall campaign.

I think the robocall heirarchy is interesting-- first we heard from all our local politicos, then Bill Clinton, then the CINC, and now from all the local politicos' spouses & parents... or at least that's who they claim to be.

I think the most annoying feature of the robocalls is that we voted two weeks ago. It'd save everyone a lot of time & effort if our phone had some special answer code indicating that we've already voted.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I'd rather have a robo call than an actual person call, because I don't feel rude hanging up on the robo call without saying anything.
I am just the opposite. I feel so good when I can disconnect a real, live Weasel -- I can go down to their level with a clear conscience.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No robocalls this year since we switched to Magicjack and had to change from our long term phone number.

The mail has been FULL of political ads. It's amazing what they pay for advertising that comes in the door and goes directly to the trash can.

The TV ads have been constant, brutal and non-stop. I can't believe the nasty things one can find to say about another person. I've decided that if you ran a negative ad I'm voting for your opponent. That leaves me with some very slim options. In some cases I just won't vote for any of them.

The "good guy" vs "bad guy" music that they use in these ads is creepy.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
The TV ads have been constant, brutal and non-stop. I can't believe the nasty things one can find to say about another person. I've decided that if you ran a negative ad I'm voting for your opponent. That leaves me with some very slim options. In some cases I just won't vote for any of them.
The fact that an ad is "negative" doesn't necessarily bother me. If Senator X voted for a piece of legislation that turned out to be terrible, or was recently censured for malfeasance in office, then that's info that should be highlighted. The objectionable part, to me, is the blatant half-truths and misleading ways that the information (positive and negative) is framed. There's not much way to fix that in a 30 second TV spot.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

No one knows my house number. In fact I don't even know my house number. I hope it stays a big secret.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Don't have a phone...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I know for a fact Westernskies lives for robo calls from Sarah.....

He will be in competition with Finance Dude . By the way Bill C called again today so I'm sure it's real love .
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's getting ridiculous, I just saw a political commercial that said "North Dakota's economy is reeling". Right now I think our economy is probably the best in the nation. It's obvious that that special interest group had a canned script and just inserted the state name for where ever the ad would air.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I'd rather have a robo call than an actual person call, because I don't feel rude hanging up on the robo call without saying anything.
If it's a robocall I don't get to tell the caller why they are bad, and perhaps influence future calls. Parts in my talk:

1. I was going to vote for xxx but now I can't because I have a strict policy against voting for people who use telemarketing.

2. Would you place calls at 2 AM? Because someone might be sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sick?

3. How can you be sure that your message is more valuable than my time?

4. Do you know about the do not call list? Yes I know you're exempt, but the fact that the do not call list is so popular should tell you how people feel about your calls.

5. Do you like to get telemarketing calls? Yes, you are a telemarketer -- you are marketing your agenda.

Yesterday I received a robocall: "Hi, this is Mike Pigg [local sports person], and I'm calling you to ask you to support..."

I looked up his home phone number, and called him to give him my talk.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I don't have much of a social life, so I sit by the phone and wait for the robo calls.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I absolutely vote for anyone who robocalls. I also patronize companies that spam my email box, and really get turned on when 87 popups hijack my computer, requiring a reboot. I immediately place an order with those guys.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I got one on my cellphone.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am just the opposite. I feel so good when I can disconnect a real, live Weasel -- I can go down to their level with a clear conscience.
When a live person calls me, I ask if they are a paid caller or a campaign volunteer. If it is just their job, I politely thank them for their call and say goodnight. If it's a campaign volunteer, I take the opportunity to tell them what a scumball their candidate is.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
He will be in competition with Finance Dude . By the way Bill C called again today so I'm sure it's real love .
Yeah, those boys sure are crazy about Sarah. I, however, understand your appreciation for Bill C
Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
If it's a robocall I don't get to tell the caller why they are bad, and perhaps influence future calls. Parts in my talk:

1. I was going to vote for xxx but now I can't because I have a strict policy against voting for people who use telemarketing.

2. Would you place calls at 2 AM? Because someone might be sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sleeping? How did you know that I wasn't sick?

3. How can you be sure that your message is more valuable than my time?

4. Do you know about the do not call list? Yes I know you're exempt, but the fact that the do not call list is so popular should tell you how people feel about your calls.

5. Do you like to get telemarketing calls? Yes, you are a telemarketer -- you are marketing your agenda.

Yesterday I received a robocall: "Hi, this is Mike Pigg [local sports person], and I'm calling you to ask you to support..."

I looked up his home phone number, and called him to give him my talk.
Good list!

I've actually done #1 before (and specifically called them out for using a generic Caller ID - why are they hiding, will they be this opaque if they get into office?). I don't think I've recieved one "live" call this season, just robo-calls.

I did have one person come to the door. A young (19-20?), very cute and polite girl handing out pamphlets for so-and-so. I couldn't work up enough curmudgeon-ivity to tell her what I thought. I'm weak.

-ERD50
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

We only use our landline for the fax machine, and have the ringer turned off. I don't know if we got any robo-calls, but if so they didn't show up on the answering machine.

I've read that Prop 19 in CA (marijuana legalization) is losing in human based polls, but scoring much higher in robo-polls. They say people are less likely to admit they'd vote for legalization to a person.

Also, NPR has an interesting interview with some of the people who do the scary statements in the political commercials and robo-calls. Dire Predictions and Disastrous Votes: Election Ads : NPR