Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you think of Political Robocalls?
I hate them 45 88.24%
I find them annoying, but tolerable 5 9.80%
I kind of like them 0 0%
I really enjoy getting them 0 0%
Other 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Political Robocalls
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Political Robocalls

We've been getting tons of recorded political telephone advertisements this year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't had any calls. Thinking it is because I got my ballot in early since we vote by mail.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Hate 'em.

Interesting that politicians excluded themselves from the Do Not Call law.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I can at least screw with the human callers. Can't do that with the robots. I'd frankly like to ban them, but the people who benefit from them make the laws....
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm ready to robo vote.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Two this morning.

I'm trying to hack into them with * followed by random numbers, just to see if I can.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

OK, this is the result I expected. Shouldn't politicians know that people hate these things?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hate them!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

I hate them but I did find it mildly amusing when B Clinton called .I was hoping it was a booty call but no such luck !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
OK, this is the result I expected. Shouldn't politicians know that people hate these things?
People also hate those annoying commercials with the repetitive jingles, but they work, so we'll keep hearing them.

I wonder if there are reverse robo-calls. Maybe claim to be a call for Candidate X, but make the call very annoying, in the middle of the night, etc. Nothing false, but so inconvenient, annoying, and inconsiderate as to prompt voters to go for Candidate Y.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Hate 'em.

Interesting that politicians excluded themselves from the Do Not Call law.
Yep, just another example of them considering themselves and putting themselves "above the law".

Another thing that really, really bugs me - the really long ones. Not only do they fill up our answering machine so a real person can't leave a message, but they can also tie up a line. One time I tried and tried to "hang up" on one because I had just picked up the phone to make an outgoing call - I couldn't seem to get the line to let go. What if I was trying to make a 911 call?

Oh, and the least they could do (some do - not most) is to have a meaningful CALLER ID, so we know who is calling. Most of the time it is blank or generic.

Arghhhh!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

We were receiving lots of these too until I realized that our land-line phone package had two features (No solicitation and Call rejection) that we weren't using. Once I enabled those features, no more robocalls--yippee
aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't received any robocalls this year (I can't stand them). We have received more mass mailings and political survey calls though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

All the calls I have received have been from the party for which I am presently registered to vote. They are reminding me to vote. Since many folks vote a straight ticket, I figure the number of voters they guilt into showing up at the polls outweighs the number of voters that were going to vote for a candidate or party but got too pissed at the robocalls and decided to abstain from voting for a candidate or party.

Hey, it is marketing and it is cheap. I guess the campaign contributions can be stretched a little further this way. I have yet to receive a phone call from any live candidate or a live volunteer for anyone's campaign. I recall in years past I would have at least 1 live caller asking me to vote for a party or for a candidate.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
They care what we think?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
They care what we think?
Only for about 28 more hours. Act quickly.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I hate them but I did find it mildly amusing when B Clinton called .I was hoping it was a booty call but no such luck !

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I know for a fact Westernskies lives for robo calls from Sarah.....
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Don't care for them. But I screen my calls with a good old answering machine anyhow so it's just more marketing call traffic as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd rather have a robo call than an actual person call, because I don't feel rude hanging up on the robo call without saying anything.