Join Early Retirement Today

Re: When I Look Upon Pelosi & Reid I Get......
Old 11-09-2006, 10:25 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
...potential supoenas - maybe why Rumsfeld was let go so quickly?
I doubt it. More likely, this was intended as a peace offering and an implicit admission of problems with Iraq policy.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Sadly, while I had hoped the Dems would take the high road and work on issues that truly need to be resolved for all of our good, they do seem to be unable to let go of their revenge and payback focus.
What has happened in one day to make you abandon your hope? I have not heard any of the Dem leaders talk about revenge and payback. Quite the contrary.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
What has happened in one day to make you abandon your hope? I have not heard any of the Dem leaders talk about revenge and payback. Quite the contrary.
Although I’d describe myself as a political pessimist, I will admit to a little optimism regarding the current situation. Two reasons:

1. Maybe the Dems recall how the Repubs shot themselves in the foot in the ’98 midterm elections. The voters were sick of the Repubs politics of personal destruction so instead of bolstering the GOP majority, the voters sent more Dems to Washington. If the Dems focus on retribution rather than governing, they face the real possibility of screwing themselves in 2008. I sense the voters are fed up with the backstabbing circus we’ve had to endure the past few years and will reward the Dems in 2008 if they will lead and not attack.

2. Bush has two more years to try to create some sort of positive legacy for his Presidency. Believe it or not, he really did create an atmosphere of bipartisan cooperation when he was governor. He’s got one last chance to try to salvage something, and I hope what I heard from him yesterday is an indication he’s going to move in the right correct direction.

But I’ve been wrong before…very wrong.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Dang, this morning on the way in to work gas prices had shot up another $0.01 cents. Stupid democrats are trying to push their green agenda by making gas unaffordable for the common workers like me!?!! It's a vast left wing conspiracy undertaken by democraps. Can't they do anything right?

(open season on democrats is officially open!)
Democrats aren't in power yet. Both the House and Senate are still controlled by the Republicans.

But you knew that.

Interestingly, the futures for Jan gasoline have risen by about 10 cents in the last few days.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #25

Well, I would like to introduce a dose of reality here. It's not at all obvious to me that a Charles Rangel run Ways and Means Committee is more friendly to the people on this board than a Bill Thomas one. Rangel, in the past, has been fairly outspoken in favor of eliminating the current tax treatment for capital gains and dividends, which benefit most, if not all, of us.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus
Interestingly, the futures for Jan gasoline have risen by about 10 cents in the last few days.
That is kind of weird. Gasoline spot prices shot up 10 cents in the last few days, and crude shot up a couple bucks, too. I'd really like to blame it on the democraps, but it's probably just random noise.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
Well, I would like to introduce a dose of reality here. It's not at all obvious to me that a Charles Rangel run Ways and Means Committee is more friendly to the people on this board than a Bill Thomas one. Rangel, in the past, has been fairly outspoken in favor of eliminating the current tax treatment for capital gains and dividends, which benefit most, if not all, of us.
I'm OK with that if it means that we close the budget deficit and/or fix the AMT mess.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'm OK with that if it means that we close the budget deficit and/or fix the AMT mess.
Are they mutually exclusive? I don't believe they have to be.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51
Are they mutually exclusive? I don't believe they have to be.
Money has to come from somewhere. That means either taxes have to go up or spending has to go down. Other than some odds & ends of pork and the war funding, I don't see any obvious sources of excess spending that could be easily cut.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #30

Charlie Rangel represents Harlem--and if he doesn't support his constituents, who will?

He happens to be a helluva guy--Purple Heart & Bronze Star earned in Korea. A few items from his web site that may be relevant to some of us:

-- Authored provisions in the tax law allowing police and firefighters to retire early without penalty to their pension levels.
-- Played a decisive role in the Ways & Means Committee to extend the right of employees who receive tuition reimbursement from employers to deduct up to $5,250 from their taxable income.
-- Strongly supported increased educational and health benefits for Vietnam Era and Desert Storm veterans.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Perhaps just listening to the media too much. Politicians don't bring out my natural sense of optimism.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

You can forget about the tax cuts being made permanent. Liberal supreme court judges will be the norm. We will all be in for a new round of gun control after the next school shooting. Capital gains tax rate will go back in 2010. What exactly are we gaining with the democrats? (stem cell research)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprinter
Liberal supreme court judges will be the norm.
I don't think so. We have appointed for life Justices Roberts, Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, and Alito, uber conservatives and most are pretty young too.

The old guy left is Stevens. He is on the liberal minority and someone who believes in analysis and thinking through decisions. Rather than deciding and then justifying the decision.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:45 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I don't think so. We have appointed for life Justices Roberts, Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, and Alito, uber conservatives and most are pretty young too.

Obviously I would feel much better with the whole court made up of guys just like these.

JG
Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 AM   #35

Nancy Pelosi rhymes with Bela Lugosi (sp?) and that's what I expect to
see now...........one long horror film.

JG
Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by xprinter
You can forget about the tax cuts being made permanent. Liberal supreme court judges will be the norm. We will all be in for a new round of gun control after the next school shooting. Capital gains tax rate will go back in 2010. What exactly are we gaining with the democrats? (stem cell research)
I think too many people are putting too much emphasis on the Dems winning both houses. They do not have a large enough majority to overturn a veto and I doubt Bush will sign any law he thinks is too far left (read no stem cell research on newly killed babies fetuses. The Dems know that if they become too vindictive in the next two years, they probably won't hold the majority after the next election. I believe Bush will sign a few more left leaning bills sent to him than he has in the past, only so he can get some of his ideas through. However, after watching an interview with Pelosi where she said all they wanted was a lame duck admin, doubt the left will be sending too many right leaning bills.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I think too many people are putting too much emphasis on the Dems winning both houses. They do not have a large enough majority to overturn a veto and I doubt Bush will sign any law he thinks is too far left (read no stem cell research on newly killed babies fetuses. The Dems know that if they become too vindictive in the next two years, they probably won't hold the majority after the next election. I believe Bush will sign a few more left leaning bills sent to him than he has in the past, only so he can get some of his ideas through. However, after watching an interview with Pelosi where she said all they wanted was a lame duck admin, doubt the left will be sending too many right leaning bills.
Some truth to this, but.... Bush will cave now. He did it with the Dems in Texas. He jumped in with Bob Bullock in Texas, who held his hand and helped facilitate cooperation with the democrats in the legislature. Bush never was a conservative. Now he's effectively hired two of his Dad's pals, Gates and Baker, both who are pragmatists, not ideologues. They will come up with something to save face and leave Iraq. I suspect you're going to be surprised at how cooperative GWB suddenly becomes. He needs a liaison between him and the Dems and that could be Baker.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #38

Martha, you must be kidding. You consider the Court dominated by conservatives? Wow.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I suspect you're going to be surprised at how cooperative GWB suddenly becomes.
Agreed. Bush didn't float to the top by not compromising ever. He is a politician, after all.

Plus, I would bet my bottom dollar that there are LOTS of nasty, dirty, illegal things the administration has done and never wants to see the light of day. The more cooperative everyone is, the less interesting hearings, investigations, subpoenas, etc. will seem.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Plus, I would bet my bottom dollar that there are LOTS of nasty, dirty, illegal things the administration has done and never wants to see the light of day. The more cooperative everyone is, the less interesting hearings, investigations, subpoenas, etc. will seem.
I'll be that's the case in ALL administrations. Anyone that thinks Clinton, Bush 41, and Ronnie were angels better step away from the crack pipe............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote