Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you file your 2014 taxes, or request an extension?
Filed *whew* 75 88.24%
Extended *put 'em off* 10 11.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:2014 taxes for 2013, filed or extended?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:2014 taxes for 2013, filed or extended?

Got 'em done, or stretching it out?
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Finished them yesterday. A large chunk of my savings will be withdrawn by Uncle Sam today, along with some from the state. However, I'm getting $7 back from our local tax authority.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I e-filed last week, and mailed a -large- check to the IRS this morning.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Filed electronically in early March because we were away from home from mid-January to the end of February. Had over payments of $325 and $12 for federal and state, respectively that I applied to next year's taxes.

I did 13 returns this year for family and friends - all are done. DD's was filed electronically last night.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #5

Filed mine. filed MIL's. Filed my step-mom's.
Did them all in Late Feb/early march.

I always calculate/complete the taxes early in the cycle. Then if I owe - I file in mid April. If I am due a refund, I file ASAP.

Due to DH's changing employment/income status I never know if I'll owe or get a refund.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Extension. I have a private equity investment that doesnt issue its K1 until September, so i have no choice but to do an extension. Were it not for that, i would have filed.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #7

I take an initial crack at it earlier in the year, but since April is a busy time of the year for me, I put off the final filing until later in the year when I have more time.

It allows me to look at my previous work with a fresh set of eyes.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Extended…roughed in to know where I stand….but still a couple hours of compilation away from completion.
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #9

Extended - K1 for a real-estate rental partnership that my sister and I have didn't come in soon enough for my accountant to get everything done.

But I did get my mom's return done and filed, and helped DS and DD get theirs done (well, DD called again yesterday so hopefully she actually filed...)
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Got 'em done, or stretching it out?

I just got back from the post office

It's good to get a stretch in before a workout.

(actually, I received a FedEx package with necessary tax-related forms from the family accountant at 1pm this afternoon... yeah, I'll get that done - by May!)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #11

Did federal in early March, since I had a refund coming.
Did state last week, since I owed them money (coincidentally, very close to the amount I got back from the feds).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #12
Administrator

I e-filed a few weeks, and the amount owed went out of our bank account today, along with the 1st estimated tax payment for 2014.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Administrator

I filed ours and Mom's a couple of weeks ago. Forgot her 1QA estimated. I really need to set her up with EFTPS.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:57 PM   #14

Filed in February. Owed for Federal, refund from state for almost the same amount, close enough.

About 10 days ago I finished working with my son on his taxes. He is self employed and files Schedule C. He owed quite a lot even though he did estimated payments. We got to the end and he asked me for any advice for lowering his tax liability and I mentioned an IRA. I didn't think he'd go for it as he lives pretty tight and his work is uneven. We looked at the Saver's Credit and his AGI (single under $17,750) was within the range to get a 50% TAX CREDIT!!! for contributing to an IRA. He opened a Trad IRA at Vanguard.

A few days later I had a light bulb go off in my head...... DOH! It should have been a ROTH IRA. Yes, he didn't get the tax deduction but he still didn't use his entire Savers Credit and the excess would cover the increase in tax. He was out of town for work for 4 days, so I looked into how to correct this and when he got home on the 14th he called Vanguard and explained that he wanted to change his IRA to a ROTH and they handled it over the phone.

Then last night after dinner DH's brother called. He's doing his taxes in TurboTax and he asked me what could be wrong, he's getting a huge refund and it showed up when he put in his daughters college expenses. I told him that must be the American Opportunity Credit, the government likes it when you send your kids to college. His daughter went to 4 years at a community college and is now finishing her BA at a private college and all this time he never took the college credits! I was shocked. I helped him through the steps in Turbo Tax and then told him to go back and amend for 2012 and 2011 and get those credits. She has one more year and he'll claim them next year too.

How he missed those, I just don't understand.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Extended as always, but got my refund in January without filing. Still waiting for some corrected 1099s, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I filed ours and Mom's a couple of weeks ago. Forgot her 1QA estimated. I really need to set her up with EFTPS.
I mailed my Mom's 1Q estimated payment but did sign up so I can do the remaining Q's this year and beyond electronically.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I used TurboTax to file mine on February 3rd, and my refund was automatically deposited on February 10th.

My first quarter estimated taxes for this coming year were paid today using EFTPS.

Everything is rolling along as it should...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #18
Administrator

From today, I'm sure many of you saw it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (41.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

"never pay taxes again"...

Love it... It worked out for us... Zero taxes between 1989 and today. Next year will be the first, as we begin some draw down of capital...

Aside... As District Managers with a company that began start-ups of franchises (many years ago)... we used to joke that our advertising for franchisees should include as a benefit...
Own your own business...
"Never pay taxes again"...

Didn't go over too well with the boss...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Filed, but it was close. Just got our real estate LLC K1 2 weeks ago, brought everything to my accountant a few days later, he sat on it a few days, then it took me a few days to pick it up and a few more days to return the e-file authorization - which I did yesterday. Mailed a small check to the fed and await my $91 from the State of Illinois. I hope I get it.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote