Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your data (and apps) do you keep on the cloud?
More than half my data... 12 17.91%
Less than half, but more than just email. 21 31.34%
Just email so far. 11 16.42%
None / not that I know of / Huh? - I don't understand the question... 23 34.33%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now

Bows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way

But now they only block the sun
They rain and snow on everyone
So many things I would have done
But clouds got in my way

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I answered I wasn't on the Cloud but forgot about my Yahoo email account which I've had for years and some recent Kindle Fire stuff. Happy to let them deal with the spammers on email. I still get critical emails to my computer.

Just bought a 1 terabyte removable disc for data backups (only $80).

Old 11-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just bought a 1 terabyte removable disc for data backups (only $80).
For not much more you could have gotten a 3TB drive:

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.zwBsuJMBq5w

For instance:

Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 3 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV3000100: Computers & Accessories

I have (in addition to several smaller sizes) three HDs of that size and am currently looking for more storage space. Perhaps another:

Amazon.com: Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure with USB 3.0 & eSATA: Electronics

the four 2TB drives in my current one has proved to be a handy configuration. (The drives are hot bootable -- plug in, plug out.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Old 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #26

One big problem with my cloud is that my ISP limits my uploads/downloads to 250 GB per month. I had to break my online backup cloud switchover between two months in order to stay below my data limits. Not bad once you set it up (and don't automatically upload a 0.5 GB email file that changes with every new email). But if you had a TB of data or more you'd might have to manage it carefully.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Less than half but more than email. I back up important non-sensitive financial data to the cloud. I keep a lot of spreadsheets and documents and even ebooks on Google Drive so I can access anywhere (like my phone). I don't have a full back up of my photos and home vids on the cloud, but the most important ones from the last 5 or so years are on facebook (which is "the cloud"), so recoverable. And all photos and vids are backed up in 2 locations at my house.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #28

None right now, but thinking about it especially for photographs. At the moment the only backup is a 2TB external drive and a thumbdrive I keep Quicken backups on in addition to the external.

All the financials would be a pita to rebuild but doable. In our case I doubt it would matter much beyond going a few months back. And besides, what did people do before home computers? We do that too.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
And besides, what did people do before home computers?
I believe (I've been told) they sat around the fire until the Sun went down and then went inside the cave to sleep.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...(snip)...
All the financials would be a pita to rebuild but doable. In our case I doubt it would matter much beyond going a few months back.
That's why I keep multiple backups:
1) primary HD on PC
2) backup 1TB HD, removable and stored in safe place
3) copy every month of critical spreadsheets to flashdrive
4) offsite: every 6 months, rework backup drive in safety deposit box with new data
Old 11-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #31

We got the copy box of 30 years of print photos to look at 3 weeks ago. The box and photos still sit on the table in the Arizona room.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just use it to sync my calendar and contacts on the iPad and iPhone.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Am I on the cloud ?

9, perhaps. Let me double-check.

[tick tock tick tock]

What was the question again?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Cloud and cloud, what is cloud?

Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Here's some important information for the guys to put in the cloud.......

http://www.stickypixels.ie/themanapp#.UJYhgJG9KSN
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #36

I'm not yet ready to trust the cloud with my data, so nothing in the cloud.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #37

I'm reaching a point of password fatigue lately and am looking for a solution to keeping up with the passwords without having to carry around an encrypted password list. The latest thing I've been tinkering with is LastPass. Anyone else use it for cloud-based storage of passwords?

Our state Dept of Revenue just revealed that they gave away most everyone's SSNs to some overseas hacker, so I'm pretty sure that there isn't much I can do to make my financial data more vulnerable than they did. I have two different credit monitoring companies checking, and they do seem to work (just applied for the 50k mile bonus American Airlines card and both notified me).

I think Dropbox is really great, but I don't regularly need to access the stuff I have stored there. Perhaps I should think of using it for more than I do now.

I use Picasa web albums for a lot of my pictures, but I also back up to another hard drive at home, which won't help much in fire or theft situation, so I really need to start thinking about either uploading everything to Picasa (and buying storage), or trying another storage site. I do like the way Picasa works with the desktop version, so maybe.

And music, I have not done anything about backing up my music to the cloud. I really need to figure that out.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I experimented with LastPass for a couple weeks and found that There was a lot I liked about it. However, it kept crashing my ie9 -- the error message was that it couldn't find a [LastPass].dll. This was particularly irritating when trying to print. The only solution I found was to close IE and start it back up.

Therefore, yesterday, I uninstalled it.

I was, also, using Access Manager, which I really liked, but they seem to have closed down... they did not have access to the passwords. Hmmmm... like LastPass (theoretically?) does.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Password management software. Has anyone tried RoboForm
Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #40

I used Roboform for years. Actually, Roboform 2 Go on a Flashdrive. A very good product, a bit difficult to backup. It cost a one time charge, but when FireFox changed versions they stopped the upward compatibility and required the newer yearly charge version. My drive failed and took my password file to the great data graveyard in the sky, so I am currently considering RoboForm and Last Pass, leaning toward LastPass. More here Password Manager SW

Edit to add: I use a desktop and iPad, neither of the two products seem to have the cross platform functionality I need, so I'm still comparing, and looking. Just on the desktop, however, I would stick with RoboForm because I'm familiar with and like the interface.