Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much of your data (and apps) do you keep on the cloud?
More than half my data... 12 17.91%
Less than half, but more than just email. 21 31.34%
Just email so far. 11 16.42%
None / not that I know of / Huh? - I don't understand the question... 23 34.33%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm reaching a point of password fatigue lately and am looking for a solution....

I'm finally getting my arms around this one. I really prefer KISS solutions.

First step - everything that really isn't critical, I use the same 8 char PW with a mix of upper/lower case and a few numerics. That seems to work for all those sites. That takes care of whole bunches and bunches of them.

I still need to actually straighten out the more critical ones, but there are only a half dozen of those. Unfortunately, some pre-assign a log on name, so instead of being able to remember a single log on w/o writing it down which means I need to have access to both the log on name and the PW. But what I plan to do is write those down on one sheet, and the PW on another. I'll tie some phrase I can remember with the unique PW string, so I don't have the whole thing written down in one place. If you do it right, it won't be that obvious how they tie together, plus you need the 'key' that is not written down.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I'd prefer a longer then 8 character password even if the site security is not a big issue. Why not take that 8 character password and add a unique few other characters? For example, on the Early Retirement site it might be =
8 characters + "ear". The last part is something you can guess at if you've mislayed the cheat sheet. At least this gets you to a fairly strong password with 11 characters.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'd prefer a longer then 8 character password even if the site security is not a big issue. Why not take that 8 character password and add a unique few other characters? For example, on the Early Retirement site it might be =
8 characters + "ear". The last part is something you can guess at if you've mislayed the cheat sheet. At least this gets you to a fairly strong password with 11 characters.
That would probably be a good idea, but I was concerned that some sites might not allow a longer password. I don't know if that is a valid concern, but some of these sites are so stupid that they don't tell you the rules until after you type the PW, so it would take a fair amount of checking to verify. That's also why I avoided symbols - seems some sites don't like some of those.

And I use that scheme for sites I don't really care so much that anyone would break into to. What would anyone gain by cracking my PW for the news sites or hobby forums that I log into? And I don't use any form of that PW for sensitive sites.

-ERD50
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

No cloud for me. External and flash drives are cheap and they fit in the safe deposit box to store data off site. I also keep trust and will documents there. Clouds can go 'puff' so I think local bank is better.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been putting recipes in Evernote, as recommended here (thanks!!), but apart from that my feet and data are on the ground.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
passwords in the cloud
Old 11-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

passwords in the cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'm reaching a point of password fatigue lately and am looking for a solution to keeping up with the passwords without having to carry around an encrypted password list. The latest thing I've been tinkering with is LastPass. Anyone else use it for cloud-based storage of passwords?
I use LastPass (stores my encrypted passwords in the cloud) and portable version of Keepass, that fits on flash drive/sdcard.
I like LastPass but can't trust it 100%. It forgets some website and I have to use Keepass to set it up, again.
Keepass is the best IMHO and it's free. You can get it here: Downloads - KeePass
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I/we have a couple of music purchases on the cloud. I'd need to know a lot more than I do about security to be happy doing anything remotely sensitive. Although, if I ever get around to getting an iPhone, won't I have to have stuff in the cloud?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
That would probably be a good idea, but I was concerned that some sites might not allow a longer password. I don't know if that is a valid concern, but some of these sites are so stupid that they don't tell you the rules until after you type the PW, so it would take a fair amount of checking to verify. That's also why I avoided symbols - seems some sites don't like some of those.

And I use that scheme for sites I don't really care so much that anyone would break into to. What would anyone gain by cracking my PW for the news sites or hobby forums that I log into? And I don't use any form of that PW for sensitive sites.

-ERD50
My least favorite login is the Schwab one. Last I looked they only allowed 8 characters. That's really dumb for a financial site.

Almost all other sites I've seen have allowed an 11 character password (with just alphanumeric characters). Except for maybe Vanguard which only lets you do 10 characters.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Keepass with the file saved on Dropbox. That way it's instantly updated between my two computers and my Android phone. I have to use the older 1.x version though to use it on the phone.