Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Staying Up For The Election Coverage?
Yes - I like to watch, blow by blow 48 51.61%
No - I can wait 36 38.71%
I'm undecided :-) 4 4.30%
Other 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
following quote was directed to obgyn65...

I understand it. All of the Illinois electoral votes will go one way, that is as certain as anything that I can imagine, yes, even the sun rising in the East. If I were so inclined, and was able to persuade half a million voters to vote the other way in my state, it would not effect the outcome.

I don't mean this as partison. If my state was a lock for the Republicans, I would vote Democratic for the same reasons. I carry no brief for any party.

As I said earlier, I am considering that conserving a little gasoline is probably a better civic action than voting in this state (I don;t feel that way if there are close local elections, or referendums).

But none of that affects the importance (or lack of) that one might assign the election overall.

-ERD50
My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. We have had very little in the way of political ads for the Presidential race. As a result, neither candidate has any interest in several problems in my home state that are a direct result of Federal activities past and present.

So, IMHO, voting Republican is one way of getting them to notice my state. Maybe, if my state was not considered a lock for the Dems, we would not be taken for granted by the Dems and ignored by the GOP.

If my home state was a lock for the Republicans I would vote Democratic for the same reasons. This is not a partisan issue and I carry no brief for either party. I want the candidates to realize that not everybody lives in a battle ground state.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. We have had very little in the way of political ads for the Presidential race. As a result, neither candidate has any interest in several problems in my home state that are a direct result of Federal activities past and present.

So, IMHO, voting Republican is one way of getting them to notice my state. Maybe, if my state was not considered a lock for the Dems, we would not be taken for granted by the Dems and ignored by the GOP.
Uh Oh. This thread is heading for the hog pen.

I'll be so dang glad when the 'lection is over and done with...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My home state will go Democratic. No doubt about it. ...

Yes, that is one way to look at it. Same thing for voting independent (each party has to try to capture some of that vote). I even thing not voting sends a message - deliver a real message and I'll get up and vote for you. But it is so strongly weighted it really is 'tilting at windmills' to think a single vote means anything in this case.

But I can respect anyone's decision in this case - vote for who you support, don't vote, vote against the incumbent or controlling party in an attempt to level the field, vote independent to send a message. They are all defend-able, IMO.

-ERD50
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Tuesday...Tuesday....yeah, probably at the Irish pub after work, so since they don't have a TV in there (small blessings) we'll be talking of adventures past and future, plus a few tall tales, and standing around the fire out back with a pint in hand. Nah, not going to watch anything of the sort.
Figured I'll check in on my Twitter feed come morning to see what happened.
My life will continue along the same trajectory regardless of the outcome, a situation for which I am very grateful.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Tuesday...Tuesday....yeah, probably at the Irish pub after work, so since they don't have a TV in there (small blessings) we'll be talking of adventures past and future, plus a few tall tales, and standing around the fire out back with a pint in hand. Nah, not going to watch anything of the sort.
Figured I'll check in on my Twitter feed come morning to see what happened.
My life will continue along the same trajectory regardless of the outcome, a situation for which I am very grateful.
Excellent plan!

Whoever is elected won't take office until late January, and will then be POTUS for at least four years. What's the rush?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
I understand it. All of the Illinois electoral votes will go one way, that is as certain as anything that I can imagine, yes, even the sun rising in the East. If I were so inclined, and was able to persuade half a million voters to vote the other way in my state, it would not effect the outcome.

As I said earlier, I am considering that conserving a little gasoline is probably a better civic action than voting in this state (I don;t feel that way if there are close local elections, or referendums).

But none of that affects the importance (or lack of) that one might assign the election overall.

-ERD50
I am in Illinois too and was glad to vote. Regardless of the results at the top of the ticket, it made me take the time to learn about other races and candidates ("who's that??") and proposed legislation.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I am in Illinois too and was glad to vote. Regardless of the results at the top of the ticket, it made me take the time to learn about other races and candidates ("who's that??") and proposed legislation.
Yes, but I did that by downloading my ballot a few weeks ago.

-ERD50
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

Yes, but I did that by downloading my ballot a few weeks ago.

-ERD50
Dumb me didn't know you could download ballots. But I got a little fresh air by walking to a polling place located conveniently nearby. And met some neighbors in the process

Old 11-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Since I'll be in Key West I'll be up, but hopefully not watching the election coverage. DW and I cast our absentee ballots a couple of weeks ago now we can wait to see how it shakes out.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #50

I confirm I will not vote (and I may be on call that day too !). I also confirm that it is my belief this election is really important. However, one candidate is 90% certain to win in the state I live in. Why vote then ? This is not like Europe where each vote counts, here they have Electoral Colleges, quite different from universal suffrage, which is superior in my view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
.... but, you said you didn't intend to vote, even though you think this election is really important. I don't understand why you don't stand up and be counted regardless of how one-sided you think the vote will be in your State.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #51

I will stay up to watch, fall asleep on the couch and wake up to watch some more, until I know which way it goes. Have to work the next day and this should be the last presidential election while I am still working part-time.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I confirm I will not vote (and I may be on call that day too !). I also confirm that it is my belief this election is really important. However, one candidate is 90% certain to win in the state I live in. Why vote then ? This is not like Europe where each vote counts, here they have Electoral Colleges, quite different from universal suffrage, which is superior in my view.
How does the USA not have universal suffrage? Unless you are using the wider definition to include non-citizens but then I don't know of any European countries that allow non-citizens to vote.

I only know the details of one European country, the UK electoral system, which is divided into districts of ~60,000 voters and you can only vote for a candidate within the district you are registered in. Many districts are solidly behind a particular candidate so you have the same situation of "why vote, Mr x is sure to win". The Prime Minister comes from the party that has won the most districts (known as "first past the post") so it can and does happen that the country's leader loses the popular vote but wins more districts.

In countries that vote for a President and use the popular vote to determine who wins then I agree with you that there is no reason to not vote.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But there are US congressmen or senators being elected, city officials, state legislators and executives, local judges, maybe ballot measures you might favor or oppose, right?
But I'm 100% in favor of folks staying home if they want to.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #54

I have no idea what your point is, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu
... and if it goes to SCOTUS?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I live in the same state, so not to worry, I voted twice, Chicago-style, to make up for you not voting. If there are any other Illinois citizens who would like me to vote as their proxy, just let me know .

But I imagine many people whose jobs require them to be on call are finding a way to vote, either by early-voting as I did today when I realized I would not be in town on Tuesday, or by absentee ballots, which do not require an absence or a reason for voting that method.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I live in the same state, so not to worry, I voted twice, Chicago-style, to make up for you not voting. If there are any other Illinois citizens who would like me to vote as their proxy, just let me know .
Do it for me, please. As Mae West said, "I'll do anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure."

Mae West Quotes (Author of Goodness Had Nothing To Do With It)

Old 11-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Shall we have an election eve party? Might not last the night before porky shows up but might be fun in the meantime. I'd be happy to chip in for a pay raise for the mods due to the extra work and aggravation ;-)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Shall we have an election eve party? Might not last the night before porky shows up but might be fun in the meantime. I'd be happy to chip in for a pay raise for the mods due to the extra work and aggravation ;-)
I wonder how the amount of daily traffic to e-r.org right now compares to 4 years ago when we had the Soapbox and the election was days away. I do recall it was a time free of strife and contentiousness. . .
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #59

I have to get up for work the next day, so I'll watch till bedtime, then if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night for a nature break, which I will........I may/will probably check in to see how it's going. But, no way I can stay up all night to watch.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wonder how the amount of daily traffic to e-r.org right now compares to 4 years ago when we had the Soapbox and the election was days away. I do recall it was a time free of strife and contentiousness. . .
Oh yeah. Thank you. Good thing is this will be over soon. In the meantime, perhaps we could focus on disaster relief. www.redcross.org