Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Are You Staying Up For The Election Coverage?
Yes - I like to watch, blow by blow 48 51.61%
No - I can wait 36 38.71%
I'm undecided :-) 4 4.30%
Other 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You just need to go vote BEFORE you go surfing to get it to count before they call the election!
Imagine if all of America's election exit pollsters could only practice their craft in Waianae or Waialua...

No problem for me, though, we voted two weeks ago.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #62
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I confirm I will not vote (and I may be on call that day too !). I also confirm that it is my belief this election is really important. However, one candidate is 90% certain to win in the state I live in. Why vote then ? This is not like Europe where each vote counts, here they have Electoral Colleges, quite different from universal suffrage, which is superior in my view.
I have found out that the "popular vote" translates to "universal suffrage" in French, which is far from the English definition that I know. I'm sorry to have misunderstood your meaning.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I have found out that the "popular vote" translates to "universal suffrage" in French, which is far from the English definition that I know. I'm sorry to have misunderstood your meaning.
Thanks for that--I would never have guessed. The things we learn here!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I confirm I will not vote (and I may be on call that day too !). I also confirm that it is my belief this election is really important. However, one candidate is 90% certain to win in the state I live in. Why vote then ?
Your ballot has many more candidates than just the Presidential election. Even in Hawaii, a state with the legislature over 90% of one party, there are still candidates to choose between. We also have a very hotly contested mayoral race, and several sleight-of-hand budgetary issues being touted as amendments to the state constitution and the city charter. Some elections even have "None of the above" ballot choices, which allow you to exercise your right of free speech against the system.

You don't vote, you lose the right to complain. You also become part of the problem.

I'm not as hard-core as Heinlein, who believed that only military veterans could earn the right to vote. But I feel that a failure to vote is certainly grounds for abdicating citizenship.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone! Some interesting and entertaining posts, but our consensus is that it is time to move on, as the thread has outlived its usefulness.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread