Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which is the best refrigerator style for RESALE? (pics in post #1)
Top Freezer 4 8.33%
Bottom Freezer 8 16.67%
Side-by-Side 13 27.08%
French Door 23 47.92%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
I've been lusting after those French door bottom drawer models, but most of them are around 3 x the cost of the "regular" models. I'm not sure it's really worth that...
We were able to save $1000+ by having the new refrigerator tucked into a deeper niche--not counter depth. So it was about the same price as a "regular" model. Ridiculous that the counter depth model is 20 percent smaller and 40 percent more expensive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have two rental apartment units with horrible kitchen design - the oven door opens across the refrigerator door. This requires us to search out countertop depth refrigerators for those cheapy apartments - they are available for the thrifty landlord, but what a joke for the poor tenant who tries to put a frozen pizza in the freezer!

Igloo - 10.0 Cu. Ft. Top-Freezer Refrigerator - White - FR1082

Somehow, I suspect our apartment frig is a bit different than the counter depth ones mentioned in the rest of this thread...

Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans0 View Post
We have the french door style, and will buy the same next time. With the drawers, the freezer is easier to organize, and is advertised as more efficient by Consumers mag.

Everyone always wants a stainless steel look. What a PITA to keep pristine! Good for selling, not for living, solely my opinion.
+1

We also have a French door style (Maytag, black). The refrig is at a convenient height. We have an ice/water dispenser in the door that we use many times every day. We use the filtered water for drinking and cooking. Some days we don't open the freezer drawer, but when we do there is an internal drawer that is as convenient as the French doors with two freezer drawers at a much lower cost.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
We have two rental apartment units with horrible kitchen design - the oven door opens across the refrigerator door. This requires us to search out countertop depth refrigerators for those cheapy apartments - they are available for the thrifty landlord, but what a joke for the poor tenant who tries to put a frozen pizza in the freezer!
I think depending on neighborhood, not many urban apartment and small condo dwellers cook much. I am amazed at how little garbage comes away from my building. Many people have some sort of quickie breakfast and eat lunch and dinner out.

My 15 cu.ft. fridge is plenty big enough for me, and I do cook a lot. But I let Trader Joe and QFC and The Public Market store my inventory.

I kind of enjoy food shopping. This morning I went with a son to get supplies for a party he is giving. We went to Metropolitan Market in Lauralhurst, and I would really like to have one in my neighborhood. It is probably too upscale for the median incomes right here, but it is really a treat. There is one on Lower Queen Ann too. We stopped for a lunch of duck liver pate and Serrano ham with some espresso.

Ha
Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I too have been told I'm an "unusual" buyer, since I look at the "bones" of the house, and tend to ignore cosmetics, except that I do think a cheaply remodeled home indicates cheapskate owners, who never put a dime in the place until it came time to sell and they had to "do something."

I HATE trendy cosmetic stuff, since it ages off so quickly.

Would have no clue what to look for in the attic or the breaker box!

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
A
And you are not most buyers if you're able to look past cosmetics.
.....The realtor was really surprised and said I was unusual to think the way I did.