Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What have you checked off your bucket list so far?
Build your own house 22 26.83%
Buy a yacht 5 6.10%
Climb a mountain like Everest 6 7.32%
Dedicate time to volunteering 33 40.24%
Deep sea dive 12 14.63%
Dine at Michelin star restaurant 13 15.85%
Complete Outward Bound or equivalent (miliary course) 6 7.32%
Go on an African safari 10 12.20%
Go skydiving 10 12.20%
Hot air balloon ride 19 23.17%
Learn to fly a plane/helicopter 17 20.73%
Learn to surf 10 12.20%
Live & work abroad OR start & run your dream business 33 40.24%
Run a marathon OR ride a century (bike) ride 20 24.39%
See the Northern lights 26 31.71%
Swim with dolphins/sharks 23 28.05%
Travel the world (3 or more continents) 45 54.88%
Trek the Great Wall of China 13 15.85%
Try out an F1 car/NASCAR/dragster 3 3.66%
Write a novel 5 6.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same as many earlier posters, I do not have a bucket list. And many of the items in the poll are not of interest to me, bucket or not.

The only thing I still enjoy doing is travel. And while I still like to spend one summer of RV'ing in Alaska, then another summer going down St. Lawrence River and going to Newfoundland before returning to the US in the fall for foliage peeping and feasting on lobster, these are not really on my bucket list either. Who's to say the above is more enjoyable than to visit some other places that I have not been to, such as Long Island to see how the rich people live in the Hamptons, and to see how the duck farms coexist with the latter there, and to sample some farm products.

The world is a big place. Even the US is. There are so many places I can visit and enjoy. For me, even driving across the vast windswept prairies of Wyoming was an experience, or on a highway snaking through a remote valley along a stream in Montana. There were some people living there, even a rundown RV park. I did not stop, but wondered what people were doing there, and how they made a living. Every little corner of this world has some histories, some stories to tell, some mysteries. Too bad I could not stop at every place.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I have no idea what the average age is of the members here... but as far as a bucket list goes... it's never to early to live as if you have one.

I've never had a "list" of things I want to do someday.

Someday has always been "now" for me.
34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

That bucket list reads like a money pit.
Nobulife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if I'd call it a bucket list, but there are places I'd like to see before I die. I haven't done much traveling so would like to change that someday. On the list: the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Hawaii, and an Alaskan cruise. I'd really love to take my kids to Disney World but that's more for them than me. Maybe someday!
dontworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Whether we have written bucket lists or what's on it are not important. We all fully grasp 'you only live once' at different stages in life, hopefully some early, unfortunately some too late...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Actually the only thing I can think of for my bucket list is living to 100. Now THAT would be pretty cool.
Good friends grand father just passed 2 weeks short of 102 ... but there wasn't any thing cool about the last 7 years. He was blind and deaf.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I kind of like the term "kick the bucket" but "bucket list"? Very ugly indeed. I won't participate using such a common term. It has to be more sophisticated.

Let's see ..... maybe:
1) Makes me cool list (Nope, too obvious)
2) Sets me apart list (Again, people might see through to my real purpose)
3) Cocktail chat list (A little better)
4) Silly list -- this gets my vote for the best list title replacement

p.s. This is just something I've wrestled with for ages now. Apologies to the OP for dissing the terminology.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I kind of like the term "kick the bucket" but "bucket list"? Very ugly indeed. I won't participate using such a common term. It has to be more sophisticated.

Let's see ..... maybe:
1) Makes me cool list (Nope, too obvious)
2) Sets me apart list (Again, people might see through to my real purpose)
3) Cocktail chat list (A little better)
4) Silly list -- this gets my vote for the best list title replacement

p.s. This is just something I've wrestled with for ages now. Apologies to the OP for dissing the terminology.
My list was a spreadsheet named "LIFEGOALS" that I started when I was 30, long before the movie and 'bucket list' term entered the vernacular. My filename hasn't changed. The terminology is beside the point no? And it was intended to be fun, nothing serious at all. Better?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
Good friends grand father just passed 2 weeks short of 102 ... but there wasn't any thing cool about the last 7 years. He was blind and deaf.
My last surviving uncle recently passed at 96. The last 3 years of his life were spent tied to an oxygen machine and for the most part confined to his house. I don't see that as living so much as just existing and don't know that I would want that for myself.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My list was a spreadsheet named "LIFEGOALS" that I started when I was 30, long before the movie and 'bucket list' term entered the vernacular. My filename hasn't changed. The terminology is beside the point no? And it was intended to be fun, nothing serious at all. Better?
Hi Midpack, I know your intentions were honorable and tried to indicate it in my p.s. comment. And I know this is suppose to be fun which is why I had fun with a little black humor. I do try to keep my posts away from the negative but might have strayed too close to that boundary.

Anyway, how are you doing on your Lifegoals list?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobulife View Post
That bucket list reads like a money pit.
Being frugal is a pretty hard habit for me to shake. I have goals, not a bucket list, but most of my goals involve cheap hobbies, living some place scenic and fun but inexpensive, and mastering skills that would be revenue neutral or make money, not things that would cost a lot to learn or do.

I have never taken an Outward Bound course, but we did belong to an adventure co-op with cheap equipment rentals, lots of inexpensive wilderness and river trips, and members teaching other members skills for free, like whitewater rafting and kayaking.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I answered that I've done three of these: build a house (it was for a relative, but we built it from the ground up), see the Northern Lights (by accident near where we live, so it wasn't as special as if we saw it in Canada or Greenland), and run a marathon.

I came close to including a few others: volunteering (I've volunteed many times. I consider it more of an obligation than a bucket list item.), fly a plane (I once flew a paraplane - a powered parachute. The skill required isn't close to what is needed to pilot a real plane.), and travel the world (I've traveled in Europe, Asia, and North America. But IMHO Canada doesn't count and the only time I've been in Mexico was for a half day cross-border hop. There's a good chance we'll go to Costa Rica some day. If we do, I would consider that I qualify as a "world traveler", even though my list of continents hasn't changed. DW definitely qualifies already, since she's been in Australia.)

I would be at least mildly interested in doing most of the other items on the list, although with some modifications to suit my own tastes. I probably wouldn't go all the way to China to trek the Great Wall, for example, but I've often thought it would be a great adventure to either bike all the way across the U.S. or to hike the entire Appalachian Trail.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:51 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
None of the above...
Ditto….
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #54

Looked back at the list and I see that I have done two of the items. About 30 years ago I had a friend that owned a hot air balloon so rode in that. I have seen and heard the northern lights more times than I can count.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #55

I responded and then relooked at the list and realized that I've actually done more than I thought ! I've been to Asia (2 days in Hong Kong for work), London (again for work), several cities in the US for fun !, and South America (for vacation) so I guess I'm a world traveler ! I wouldn't have thought that about myself - pretty amazing.

I owned a 26' boat money pit for about 6 months. I think 26' defines a yacht (or maybe its 27 ft). So maybe I owned a yacht. If anything qualified as "bucket list" in that experience, it was selling her !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #56

I only checked off one - volunteering. I have visited several continents, but only Asia and North America since ER so I didn't count that. And didn't think to check off (land) yacht for our RV.

I've been thinking recently that I'm in a bit of a rut and would like to plan/do some new things. Unfortunately, most of that will now have to be solo or with friends as DH's physical condition has taken a sharp turn for the worse in the last 2 months and he no longer feels up to the long RV trips we had planned for this year, and no other travel is comfortable for him at all. On top of that, both my mother and my FIL have had a downturn in their health requiring some not-fun time and travel. (I basically have to stand-in for DH in helping his father.)

One major volunteer activity I am involved in lasts through mid-2015 and the other through the end of 2016, although the time commitment on both will lessen during the last year. So it's time to start planning some battery recharging activities I think. Thanks for the inspiration to get working on it!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #57

The two coolest things I've done from that list is swim with lemon sharks in Tahiti (we weren't in a cage and they were very tame sharks) and drive a NASCAR in the Richard Petty driving school. Got the car to 140 on the tiny Las Vegas speedway track. Both experiences were quite a rush.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

I've done several of the things in the poll, but I never had a list. I just try to do things I enjoy and go places that I want to visit as much as possible.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote