Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can you admit to others, not just yourself, when you are wrong?
Yes, more often than not. 83 91.21%
No, more often than not. 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 728
I believe the 4 most important words I've learned to use are, "I'm wrong, I'm sorry".

I have to use them fairly often.....and I train others on them at my church. I'm not sure everyone agrees when I won't use them but I truly believe those words have true value and my ego doesn't make me need to be right when I know I'm wrong.

And, I feel I won when I say I'm wrong....why? because I learned what was "right" and will make better decisions because of it.
__________________

__________________
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,035
Absolutely ! It eats at me until I admit it & say I am sorry .
__________________

__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,018
I actually know a person whose family name is Wrong. She is always wrong!
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I actually know a person whose family name is Wrong. She is always wrong!
Is her first name So?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Is her first name So?
That's her middle name. Her first name is "Always."
__________________
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,428
Interesting to see there is at least one brutally honest person who replied to the poll.
__________________
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
BTravlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 994
I'm 54 years old. I can't imagine how many times I've been wrong over the years and I'm more than happy to admit it and apologize if appropriate.
__________________
Wherever you go, there you are.
(In other words, no whining!)
BTravlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
In my personal life I have no problem admitting when I was wrong.
__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,974
5 Mistakes That Will Crush Retirement Dreams
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #50
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,146
As I recently admitted to one of my colleagues -- "I was wrong. It's certainly not the first time, and, God willing, it won't be the last."
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #51
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,352
Yes - I admit it when I'm wrong. I have found that admitting a wrong has less of a backlash than the personal bad vibes associated with lying to cover up a wrongdoing.
__________________
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
There's "losing your temper" wrong, or "forgetting something" wrong. Then there are more mushy wrongs, where you might have been right, but there was no upside to it. In both instances, i'll apologize at the earliest convenience. The relationships are more valuable than my pride, or me being "right".

As for factual wrongs, where my memory or understanding are "wrong", that doesn't happen too often, not because I'm some Mensa candidate, but because I likely won't argue about something I have not explored. But, in that case, I'm usually happy to get a better understanding.
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Some interesting posts, thanks.

And the poll results I expected, so far 98% can admit they're wrong! Yeah, right - not even true here much less the population at large. I don't claim to know percentages, but it ain't 98%.

Just for fun anyway...
Maybe you are wrong to think it is not 98%?

But what are the odds you will admit it? edit: add smiley, just in case!

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
As for factual wrongs, where my memory or understanding are "wrong", that doesn't happen too often, not because I'm some Mensa candidate, but because I likely won't argue about something I have not explored. But, in that case, I'm usually happy to get a better understanding.
Agreed - it's kinda funny, I'll sometimes kid people that I am seldom wrong, and later they'll say that I think I'm a 'know it all'. I have to explain, no, I don't know anywhere near 'everything', but I don't usually claim to know something unless I'm pretty sure of it. I tend to preface things with 'seems to me', 'IIRC', 'if I understand this right', or 'I'm pretty sure that'...

I know people who say stuff that they have no idea about, and they state it as fact. So I can't accept anything they say, even if they would be right. How can I know?

Anyhow, I didn't vote, because I think there are many categories of wrong, as HFWR pointed out. And I might hit the wrong button, and I'd have to find someone to blame.

ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,617
The Navy's nuclear training program makes all of us experts at admitting when we're wrong.

Unfortunately it also makes us experts at pointing out to other people when they're wrong, too. I say "unfortunately" because, although this technique works extremely well in the engineering spaces, it's a different story in the domestic spaces...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta suburbs
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
In my personal life I have no problem admitting when I was wrong.
Is it much harder in your professional life?
__________________
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Maybe you are wrong to think it is not 98%?

But what are the odds you will admit it? edit: add smiley, just in case!

-ERD50
I'd be more than happy to see any real data, and admit I'm wrong. Do you have anything aside from speculation (again)? Do you think 98% is in fact close to an accurate result?
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets
2035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 214
Isn't the poll a little skewed? I mean if you can't admit when you're wrong, most likely you can't admit that you can't admin when your wrong. (((ha ha ha)))
__________________
2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #59
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'd be more than happy to see any real data, and admit I'm wrong. Do you have anything aside from speculation (again)? Do you think 98% is in fact close to an accurate result?
We are like Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
FinanceDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 12,484
When I was younger, I would not admit it. Now that I am older, I have no problems admitting it. There are some on here who I think have NEVER even considered it. You know who you are...........
__________________

__________________
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)


This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.