Poll: Can You Admit When You Are Wrong?

Can you admit to others, not just yourself, when you are wrong?

• Yes, more often than not.

Votes: 83 91.2%
  • No, more often than not.

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters
Yes - I admit it when I'm wrong. I have found that admitting a wrong has less of a backlash than the personal bad vibes associated with lying to cover up a wrongdoing.

Last edited:
There's "losing your temper" wrong, or "forgetting something" wrong. Then there are more mushy wrongs, where you might have been right, but there was no upside to it. In both instances, i'll apologize at the earliest convenience. The relationships are more valuable than my pride, or me being "right".

As for factual wrongs, where my memory or understanding are "wrong", that doesn't happen too often, not because I'm some Mensa candidate, but because I likely won't argue about something I have not explored. But, in that case, I'm usually happy to get a better understanding.

Some interesting posts, thanks.

And the poll results I expected, so far 98% can admit they're wrong! Yeah, right - not even true here much less the population at large. I don't claim to know percentages, but it ain't 98%.

Just for fun anyway...

Maybe you are wrong to think it is not 98%?

But what are the odds you will admit it? edit: add smiley, just in case! :)

-ERD50

Last edited:
As for factual wrongs, where my memory or understanding are "wrong", that doesn't happen too often, not because I'm some Mensa candidate, but because I likely won't argue about something I have not explored. But, in that case, I'm usually happy to get a better understanding.

Agreed - it's kinda funny, I'll sometimes kid people that I am seldom wrong, and later they'll say that I think I'm a 'know it all'. I have to explain, no, I don't know anywhere near 'everything', but I don't usually claim to know something unless I'm pretty sure of it. I tend to preface things with 'seems to me', 'IIRC', 'if I understand this right', or 'I'm pretty sure that'...

I know people who say stuff that they have no idea about, and they state it as fact. So I can't accept anything they say, even if they would be right. How can I know?

Anyhow, I didn't vote, because I think there are many categories of wrong, as HFWR pointed out. And I might hit the wrong button, and I'd have to find someone to blame.

ERD50

The Navy's nuclear training program makes all of us experts at admitting when we're wrong.

Unfortunately it also makes us experts at pointing out to other people when they're wrong, too. I say "unfortunately" because, although this technique works extremely well in the engineering spaces, it's a different story in the domestic spaces...

Maybe you are wrong to think it is not 98%?

But what are the odds you will admit it? edit: add smiley, just in case! :)

-ERD50
I'd be more than happy to see any real data, and admit I'm wrong. Do you have anything aside from speculation (again)? Do you think 98% is in fact close to an accurate result? :)

Isn't the poll a little skewed? I mean if you can't admit when you're wrong, most likely you can't admit that you can't admin when your wrong. (((ha ha ha)))

I'd be more than happy to see any real data, and admit I'm wrong. Do you have anything aside from speculation (again)? Do you think 98% is in fact close to an accurate result? :)
We are like Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average.

When I was younger, I would not admit it. Now that I am older, I have no problems admitting it. There are some on here who I think have NEVER even considered it. You know who you are...........:)

FinanceDude said:
When I was younger, I would not admit it. Now that I am older, I have no problems admitting it. There are some on here who I think have NEVER even considered it. You know who you are...........:)

Same here, professionally as "the Boss", I found out ironically, I got more heart felt thanks, and positive feedback from people when I told them I was wrong and would change the decision accordingly than when I was correct. Once I got over the concept of "if you admit you are wrong it is a sign of weakness" admitting mistakes was easy.

The Navy's nuclear training program makes all of us experts at admitting when we're wrong.

Unfortunately it also makes us experts at pointing out to other people when they're wrong, too. I say "unfortunately" because, although this technique works extremely well in the engineering spaces, it's a different story in the domestic spaces...

DW doesn't care for the four hour mandatory training sessions. Forget about the incident reports! She refuses to file these even when she clearly made a mistake... ;-)

We joked a lot about that in computer crime investigations as well. Just when you start to think you know what you're doing you get another lesson in humility.

Yes, I was wrong once. I thought I was wrong but it turned out I was right.

DW, however, has a different opinion....:LOL:

DW, however, has a different opinion....:LOL:

It's been 29 years since I was right in a disagreement with the young wife.

Hats off to the 5 who voted no. Now what to do about the folks who voted yes falsely, nothing of course...

But I've noticed a few people confessing to being wrong on other threads today. :greetings10:

Back
Top Bottom