Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can you admit to others, not just yourself, when you are wrong?
Yes, more often than not. 83 91.21%
No, more often than not. 8 8.79%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Can You Admit When You Are Wrong?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Can You Admit When You Are Wrong?

We all see it in life. Of course none of us like to be wrong, hopefully we're right about some things often enough. And some things aren't just black and white, although there are often overwhelming shades of gray.

But IMO there's a difference between just facing facts and admitting you're wrong (isn't that a good way to learn?) VS folks who simply can't admit when they are wrong, and will avoid admitting it using all manner of tiresome, transparent avoidance. Even though almost no one is actually fooled. Those who can admit when they are wrong are more secure with themselves, those who can't - arguably less so.

No it's not that important in the overall scheme of things, it's just a curiousity.

Of course this poll has no chance of providing accurate results, despite anonymity... think about it.

“Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference“ --- Mark Twain (among others)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, but my husband can't.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Yes, but my husband can't.

Yes, for the most part
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, for the most part

Overall, I think I am pretty good at admitting when I'm wrong. Nobody's perfect, though.

By the way, maybe you need another option to the poll:
"Don't know because I'm never wrong"
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I can't answer this poll - I might be wrong.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
I can't answer this poll - I might be wrong.
Hey, I went to Catholic school; I always feel like I'm wrong. And then guilty.

But I do love this Firesign Theatre line (from DCTDHMTP): "And you can believe me, because I never lie and I'm always right."
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

"I was wrrrrrrr" -- Fonzie
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

What is "wrong"?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm insistent, argumentative and stubborn - but I also have a pretty good batting average of being right. OTOH, if someone convinces me that I am wrong, I don't have any problems admitting that I was wrong and changing my position.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm insistent, argumentative and stubborn - but I also have a pretty good batting average of being right. OTOH, if someone convinces me that I am wrong, I don't have any problems admitting that I was wrong and changing my position.
I'm the same, it has served me well to be 'often wrong, but never in doubt.' I used to just stop arguing when I realized I was wrong, but I've learned to go as far as admitting it now, though probably not as often as I could. It used to be a contest to me (silly in retrospect), now I am more than secure enough that I'd rather just set a good example and admit it when I'm wrong. I've done it here a few times...

There are some members here who seem to be smart enough to not post when they have any doubt whatsoever, so they rarely seem to 'get it wrong.' I could do better there, and try to. I look back at some of my posts and think 'well, I didn't really think that through...' More interested in fast (rewarded in my career) than good.

To be frank, there are a few members (like all of life) who are just comical in their ability to deny all reason at times...

Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #11

I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong... once I figure it out. My husband wishes I'd figure it out quicker.

I relate to pb4uski's comments. I have a good track record of being right. And can be stubborn and argumentative. But when I know I'm wrong - I admit it. The issue for me - is convincing me I'm wrong.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Not only do I admit when I am wrong, I go to great lengths to make up for it. Saying "I'm sorry" is a minmum requirement. I go the extra mile and actually take actions to right the wrong, if that is possible.
Admitting an error immediately and making up for it with actions is a life lesson my Mom drummed in my head from a very early age.
Counting to 3 before speaking is another practice that I try my best to stick with.
Mom knew her stuff.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

From a book I read yesterday, and I may start another thread on that...

Quote:
Fools are in this world to make us grow.

You shouldn’t go around complaining this one’s a fool and that one’s a fool. They’re everywhere, and you should be glad. You’d be nowhere without the fools. They show you how you don’t want to be.

While they’re busy acting like dolts, watch what they’re doing. Even if they drive you crazy, study them carefully, then take a good look at yourself. See if you’re doing any of those same things. That’s what makes you better. Be grateful they’re making the mistakes, not you. That’s what fools are here for. They save you a lot of time and energy.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I'm the same, it has served me well to be 'often wrong, but never in doubt.' I used to just stop arguing when I realized I was wrong, but I've learned to go as far as admitting it now, though probably not as often as I could. It used to be a contest to me (silly in retrospect), now I am more than secure enough that I'd rather just set a good example and admit it when I'm wrong. I've done it here a few times........

To be frank, there are a few members (like all of life) who are just comical in their ability to deny all reason at times...
Early in my career I was also reticent to admit I was wrong and viewed doing so as a weakness, but somewhere along the way I learned that if I admitted I was wrong when someone convinced me I was wrong that my credibility actually improved in the long run.

On the second part, I suspect as each of us read this a few screen names will float across our minds.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I looked for Other, but didn't find that option so I picked YES
Old 11-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Of course this poll has no chance of providing accurate results, despite anonymity... think about it.
So, this is a logic trap, correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rules.jpg (48.2 KB, 206 views)
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So, this is a logic trap, correct?
Yep, but I thought the replies might be interesting, as they often are with polls...

I am impressed that even 1 person voted 'no' - that's encouraging!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I have often found lately, whenever pb4uski writes something, I find myself agreeing with it.

Midpack's and freebird's replies are quite good, too. I found in my working years that I felt bad whenever a mistake I made caused someone else to have to do some extra work. I was a programmer in my division so a mistake I made in one of those programs often resulted in many people having to rerun them. Those relatively small mistakes were not usually that troubling, but a bigger one which caused them to waste additional time and effort caused me some angst no matter how forgiving they were.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Early in my career I was also reticent to admit I was wrong and viewed doing so as a weakness, but somewhere along the way I learned that if I admitted I was wrong when someone convinced me I was wrong that my credibility actually improved in the long run.
Agreed, and it's liberating. It's harder to hold onto a losing position anyway...why bother? Move on...

Old 11-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

When I realize I am wrong I have no problem owning up. I used to argue endlessly when I thought I was right (or just thought someone else didn't get my point). This may be more irritating than failing to own up to admitted wrongs. I have, on occasion, indulged that tendency here. But I am trying to change. By the way, I didn't do that at work so, at some level, I always realized it was a bad practice.