Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is Casey Anthony Guilty?
Reasonable Doubt 14 14.29%
Not Guilty 4 4.08%
Guilty 80 81.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I also find the coverage shocking/overwhelming. Changed the channel whenever it came on and was surprised to see live coverage yesterday when I thought there was a guilty verdict a week or two ago.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Actually I had no idea. I'm Canadian and I guess the news here doesn't include all US trials. I did google and find out what you're talking abot. I have no opinion.
Yes. I was guilty of assuming you were American. The cable news "FoxNews" has created a circus surrounding this sad situation. My apologies.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #43

I live in Orlando about 30 minutes from the courthouse where this case has been held. I haven't been following the case although a couple of friends have. They say that they don't believe there is enough evidence to convict her of killing her daughter, but there may be a conviction of a lesser charge.

This little girls' disappearance was big news around Orlando before her remains were located, and the entire family was perceived to be suspect. But one thing we know for sure.......we'll never really know what happened.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #44

Did everyone here voting (or opining) sit through the trial, see the evidence and attend the attorney arguments from each side?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I guess you need a picture of Casey putting the duct tape over her daughters nose and mouth. If you watched the trial there would be no doubt.
Three pieces of duct tape were used on the toddler to make sure the mouth and nose were completely covered.

I watched most of the trial and all of the closing arguments.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Did everyone here voting (or opining) sit through the trial, see the evidence and attend the attorney arguments from each side?
I watched the trial and can tell you that I'm amazed that 12% of the people voting on this poll think there's reasonable doubt or she's not guilty. I can only think they didn't watch the trial. Since there are 12 jurors and the defense only needs one person to think this way I'm concerned Casey could walk on killing her daughter.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #47
gone traveling

Quote:
I'm concerned Casey could walk on killing her daughter.
Walk? I personally don't think so.

There are too many variations of charges/outcomes. While she may not get to reside on death row (and never face the needle), I believe she will not see the "light of day" for many years - or the rest of her life.

Just my opinion (which accounts for little)...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Walk? I personally don't think so.

There are too many variations of charges/outcomes. While she may not get to reside on death row (and never face the needle), I believe she will not see the "light of day" for many years - or the rest of her life.

Just my opinion (which accounts for little)...
No doubt that's what she deserves or worse. But looking at this poll it amazes me 12% think there's reasonable doubt or she's not guilty.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65
I don't know enough about his case to be able to make any judgement.
That's not how we do things on this forum.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Is anyone else sick of seeing the coverage of this trial on TV. I can't turn the channel fast enough when they start talking about it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Is anyone else sick of seeing the coverage of this trial on TV.
Not really, but only because I rarely watch the 24/7 news media and on the few times I've seen the coverage, I change the channel, either for some other show or some other news that really matters.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can you bring up one reason you think she's not guilty? It was either George or Casey so do you think George did it? Was George out at the clubs after the death? Do you think it's normal that a Mother wouldn't report her daughter missing after a month? If she wasn't guilty she would have taken the stand and testified.

Sheeeesh! What more do you need. Now show us some evidence that points to not guilty.

Not trying to get under you skin or anything..... but I would hate to have you on a jury...... you are not supposed to even consider if she testified or not in your decision...

If I were her lawyer, I would not put her on the stand..... even if she did not do it... there are to many lies from her and the prosecution will make her look like even more of a liar.... nothing to gain by putting her on the stand.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I was just making a general statement. I haven't followed this case closely enough to say there is or isn't doubt. It seems as though everything is circumstantial. No solid, undeniable proof.

A lot of cases like these are circumstantial.... I did not follow the trial so I do not know... did they say how she died I do not think they have that info...

Also, you do not need 'undeniable proof' to convict or there would not be a lot of convictions...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Also, you do not need 'undeniable proof' to convict or there would not be a lot of convictions...
Agreed, though I would add that the burden of proof is much greater than "(i)f she wasn't guilty she would have taken the stand and testified."

Unless one believes that exercising your Constitutional right to not self-incriminate *is* proof beyond a reasonable doubt, anyway...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I think she is guilty...

Not sure what constitutes first degree in Florida, but I would put it there from what I know from Texas law....

I would not give the death penalty, again based on Texas law.... I do not see her as a "continuing threat to society" in the future... I also think that there are mitigating circumstances to not give the death penalty... so she would get life in Texas...

Now, Texas does have parole for life sentenance... no life without the possibility of parole...

Here are the two questions that have to be determined by the jury...

"Once each side has pleaded its case, the jury must answer two questions (three, if the person was convicted as a party) to determine whether a person will or will not be sentenced to death:
  • The first question is whether there exists a probability the defendant would commit criminal acts of violence that would constitute a "continuing threat to society". "Society" in this instance includes both inside and outside of prison; thus, a defendant who would constitute a threat to people inside of prison, such as correctional officers or other inmates, is eligible for the death penalty.
  • The second question is whether, taking into consideration the circumstances of the offense, the defendant's character and background, and the personal moral culpability of the defendant, there exists sufficient mitigating circumstances to warrant a sentence of life imprisonment rather than a death sentence. "
Old 07-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Not trying to get under you skin or anything..... but I would hate to have you on a jury...... you are not supposed to even consider if she testified or not in your decision...

If I were her lawyer, I would not put her on the stand..... even if she did not do it... there are to many lies from her and the prosecution will make her look like even more of a liar.... nothing to gain by putting her on the stand.
My decision of guilty had nothing to do with her testifying. The only way at this point to change my mind would be Casey taking the stand. With all the evidence against her she would need to disprove her guilt.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

It doesn't look like she was taking the break in the trail seriously. IMO

Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
Is anyone else sick of seeing the coverage of this trial on TV. I can't turn the channel fast enough when they start talking about it.

Ok.. I really wasn't following this case..but with the chatter in the forum, now I am
Old 07-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #59

Verdict coming in about 45 minutes.......
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Verdict coming in about 45 minutes.......
With the verdict coming this fast, I'd give it a 99.9999% chance of being a guilty verdict. Otherwise, I'd think they would be wrestling with differing opinions and doubts for a longer time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote