Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is Casey Anthony Guilty?
Reasonable Doubt 14 14.29%
Not Guilty 4 4.08%
Guilty 80 81.63%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
boy....the board sure missed the verdict on this one.
Yes, maybe we're also wrong on other subjects and should all return to w*rk ?...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #82
gone traveling

While I do not think she is a danger to the general populace, I think she should be sterilized so there is no chance she can do this again.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kind of perverse as a child is gone, but I can see the book deals, tv interviews and magazine deals in the future . For her and the jurors.

I suppose this is why folks (us included) follow something like this. You never know what goes on inside the jury room.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

The youngest just called - she watched the verdict being read. She said Cindy and George got up and walked out of the courtroom as soon as the "Not Guilty" verdicts were read.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Kind of perverse as a child is gone, but I can see the book deals, tv interviews and magazine deals in the future . For her and the jurors.

I suppose this is why folks (us included) follow something like this. You never know what goes on inside the jury room.
I served as a juror three times. One case was particularly difficult - charges of kidnapping and assult (stabbed with a knife - we saw the bloody clothes and the knife in court). These experiences changed my view of the legal system. Not in a bad way though. I just understand how different it is to be a juror because your decision impacts other human beings.

Because of this, I'm perhaps more fastinated with cases like this. Now it's over, we should consider justice to have been served. Anthony may or may not be guilty, but it wasn't proven to the jury.

I loved how one of the defense attorneys let the "TV lawyers" have it. Basically said they should be ashamed for playing this up for ratings and how they drew concusions based on their own opinions - not the facts. Nancy Grace must be pretty unhappy about what he said.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I think she's guilty. I also agree with the jury. Being guilty and being PROVEN guilty are two very different things. Same with the OJ trial. Everyone was sure he was guilty but it wasn't proven. The verdit was appropriate IMO.
Have to agree with you about HER verdict(s). I think she's guilty of "something" to do with the child's death, but it was never proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Have to respectfully disagree with you about OJ. I DO think he was proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I think the jury let the extraneous issues cloud their thinking (I also think they may have been looking for any excuse to acquit.) Still, I wasn't there for either trial and it's just my opinion. I have no problem with anyone who disagrees.

I did sit on a jury for which the consequences to the defendant were significant in terms of sentence (multiple count drug case). The jury members took it very seriously and took two very long days to decide the 5 counts. Emotions ran high even though, looking back, the facts did support our decisions. Jury duty is an awesome responsibility. It's funny how quickly the jurors left their every-day world of kids, j*bs, houses, hobbies, etc. and settled into the task at hand. It made me feel better about the "system" to see them (us) w*rk 13 hour days for $30/day. God bless America!!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Have to agree with you about HER verdict(s). I think she's guilty of "something" to do with the child's death, but it was never proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Have to respectfully disagree with you about OJ. I DO think he was proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt. I think the jury let the extraneous issues cloud their thinking (I also think they may have been looking for any excuse to acquit.) Still, I wasn't there for either trial and it's just my opinion. I have no problem with anyone who disagrees.

I did sit on a jury for which the consequences to the defendant were significant in terms of sentence (multiple count drug case). The jury members took it very seriously and took two very long days to decide the 5 counts. Emotions ran high even though, looking back, the facts did support our decisions. Jury duty is an awesome responsibility. It's funny how quickly the jurors left their every-day world of kids, j*bs, houses, hobbies, etc. and settled into the task at hand. It made me feel better about the "system" to see them (us) w*rk 13 hour days for $30/day. God bless America!!
Thank you! Jury duty is a big deal and a big part of a fair legal system. It's not easy at all and involves sacrifice.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I was shocked myself but having recently sat on a jury I can understand. It is a huge responsibility to make a decision that could possibly end a persons life or send them to prison. You really have to be sure.

It was also surprising it only took them eleven hours after weeks of testimony and evidence.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I must take issue with a CNN headline about it:

"Casey Anthony verdict: Not a killer"

The jury was never asked whether they thought she was a killer. They were asked whether or not there existed enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to support a conviction. The two are very, very far from the same. "Not proven" is not the same as "not the killer" or "innocent".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unless you were one of the jurors you don't know what what conclusion you would reach. Personally I didn't pay too much attention to this case. I couldn't figure out why the media decided to hype it like they did. They really pumped it for all they could get out of it. Homicides happen. We are a country of over 300 million. I believe this was a Florida case? I live on the opposite coast. There are more important new stories.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

The jury was never asked whether they thought she was a killer. They were asked whether or not there existed enough evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to support a conviction. The two are very, very far from the same. "Not proven" is not the same as "not the killer" or "innocent".

Yes, people forget that the decision was 'NOT GUILTY'.... not INNOCENT... and the not guilty is of the crime that is charged... and the prosecution can mess up...

As an example, if the charges say that there was a deadly weapon involved and they did not prove that a deadly weapon existed, then you are supposed to acquit even if you think they are guilty as sin... and it is what I would do on a jury....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

One of the problems being on a jury is if there is someone who will not discuss the case at all...

I was on a jury for armed robbery... it was a high school kid that was walking to the bus stop and someone came from the apartment units with a gun and brought him to a place and stole his wallet and jewerly... we listed to a few days of testimony...

Now, we get into the jury room and decided to get the 'easy' parts of the charges out of the way... do we all agree that a crime was commeted.. yes... do we all agree that there was a gun.... no...

WHAT... The kid said there was a gun... he did not know what kind it was, but saw a gun... no other evidence to say otherwise..... so how can you believe there was not a gun

The answer "well, I just do not think there was a gun"... this was 10 minutes into the deliberations and I alread knew we had a hung jury... we then spent the next few days sitting around, sending the judge notes every now and then saying we will not reach a verdict....

Yes, it can be difficult...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Did everyone here voting (or opining) sit through the trial, see the evidence and attend the attorney arguments from each side?
Most definitely and without exception.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Guilty, but not first degree murder...no smoking gun.

I think I nailed it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

I'm with you as to what the verdict meant, but in terms of the actual words, the verdict was "Not guilty," which is the same, in this case, as "Not a killer."
Old 07-05-2011, 04:54 PM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While I do think she did it and voted reasonable doubt after what I saw there appeared to be a lot of chap and flare and I didn't think the defense proved its point.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As was pointed out after the OJ trial, a Not Guilty verdict does not mean Innocent. Not sure I agree with that, but it was in all the papers.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm with you as to what the verdict meant, but in terms of the actual words, the verdict was "Not guilty," which is the same, in this case, as "Not a killer."
Why do the words mean "Not a killer"? To me, the words simply mean "not enough evidence for the jury to convict". That does not mean she didn't do it, and if she did it, she is a 'killer'. The word still applies (as a possibility), and maybe only she knows.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Gotta love the internets.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Does this topic have anything to do with early retirement?
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote