Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: You just won a raffle, and have a choice between:
2014 Chevrolet Corvette 41 48.24%
2014 Porsche Cayman S 44 51.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Between those two options C7 - fo sho!

I'm a car guy. I love(d) Porsches when they made the driver's cars such as the GT3. I never really liked the Corvettes except for the C6 and C7.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Went through the decision process in 2008 (C6 vs, Cayman) and bought the C6. I was never a "Corvette Guy", but really liked the styling and drivability of the C6 on the highway. I like the styling and interior of the new C7 even better than the C6, but seriously doubt I would buy another.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmmm...German engineering or GM with the dongle problem....

I know I'm wrong in my assessment, but I never could shake the feeling that underneath it all, the Corvette was just some GM sedan with a pretty body thrown over it.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #24

Checked with DW... she said... "the yellow one".
Old 06-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #25

... and I said the Corvette... zero to sixty 3.8 seconds versus 4.4 seconds for the Cayman.

Both beat my '96 Cadillac STS which is only 5.9 seconds.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Checked with DW... she said... "the yellow one".
Tell your wife to avoid all yellow cars, for some reason they are bug magnetics. When I'm sitting at a car show you can see the bugs headed right for the yellow cars. I'm not talking about road splats. These are live bugs covering the hoods. It's weird!
If your a corvette person you know what my log on name means. We like all vehicles but for right now we collect Corvettes. Have one of every generation except the C7. We're fighting over what options we want. I voted for the 2014 Corvette in the raffle but am holding out for the 2015 this Fall.
I've gone with a girlfriend in her Corvette convertible to the nursery to pick up shrubs. It's not Harbor Freight but it was messy!
Almost forgot, base price for vette coupe is a little over 53,000. Base price for Cayman is 63,000. Wonder what options they added to the vette in the Edmunds test to make them comparable.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #27
Administrator

Make it a 1967 L88 and I'll take the Corvette. Otherwise, I'll go with the Porsche.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Tell your wife to avoid all yellow cars, for some reason they are bug magnetics. When I'm sitting at a car show you can see the bugs headed right for the yellow cars. I'm not talking about road splats. These are live bugs covering the hoods. It's weird!
+1. My current car is yellow and always seems to attract the bugs, especially bees. On the other hand, it doesn't show the dirt as much in our area.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #29

Hmmm, my 2010 Toyota Corolla was not an option and I won't spend big money on cars until I'm FIREd(and not even sure about that). 0 to 60 in "just get me to work on time" baby.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Make it a 1967 L88 and I'll take the Corvette.
Wow, now there's a rare one. If I won that in a raffle I'd have to sell it. Wouldn't/couldn't drive something that rare.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw
If your a corvette person you know what my log on name means.
Has to be a 1963.
Quote:
Almost forgot, base price for vette coupe is a little over 53,000. Base price for Cayman is 63,000. Wonder what options they added to the vette in the Edmunds test to make them comparable.
2LT w Z51 or 3LT...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Make it a 1967 L88 and I'll take the Corvette. Otherwise, I'll go with the Porsche.
Not quite comparable to a garden variety Porsche Cayman...

Barrett-Jackson 2014: 1967 Chevrolet Corvette L88 sells for $3.85 million [w/video] - Autoblog

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I could really go for a nice new honda accord or similar. And a minivan like an odyssey or an SUV like a pilot. That's about low 60's combined, right?

What would I net after taking a corvette, paying tax on the prize ARV/MSRP, and then losing out on depreciation? $35k? That's hardly worth the paperwork...
Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #34

Take the money (or sell the car) and put the proceeds, after taxes, in my retirement account.

LBYM

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #35

I'll take the corvette. I have a 2001 and could use an upgrade. In 2001, I was choosing between a corvette and a porsche boxster. Glad I picked the corvette.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I picked the Porsche. I think I could drive it without extra gold chains!
Old 06-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.
+1. Though I'm actually a Ford guy.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Take the money (or sell the car) and put the proceeds, after taxes, in my retirement account.

LBYM

+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Porsche if I lived back in Colorado with plenty of mountain roads to drive. But since I live in Kansas now - perhaps a nice rubber burning wheel smoking flatland Corvette.

heh heh heh - I voted Porsche but I could do both - depending.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I took overseas delivery of my Porsche 944 Turbo at the factory, with a nice tour and a ride in their rally car among others, and drove for a week or so in Germany and Switzerland. It was way better than renting a car! But with the break-in requirements I was only able to go to 5000 RPM, which was "only" 136 MPH, on the autobahn. A minor disappointment, since most of the time I was only comfortable at 100 MPH with the visibility and traffic. Past my 20's, but just before we had the kids.
I plan on doing the European Delivery and buying a new one if/when I get another 911. I've only had three new cars in my life, the last one was way back in 1992. Every one since then has been used. But after owning two 911's (both used), there are some very specific options I want if I get another, so if I can afford it, I want to get a new one this time, and stay in Europe long enough to get it past the break-in period and really enjoy it on the autobahns. Normally, I'd never buy a new car because of the massive depreciation, but a 911 is something special to me (I've always loved them) and I want to pick my own options on the next one I get.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
+1. My current car is yellow and always seems to attract the bugs, especially bees. On the other hand, it doesn't show the dirt as much in our area.
Both quotes above very true. My current 2006 911 is Speed Yellow, and it does attract bugs. The other day when I pulled into the garage and got out, I noticed a honeybee had fallen off it onto the floor. Definitely attracts more insects. But, it also hides dirt very well, which until I owned it (it was my first yellow car) I wouldn't have expected that. It also has black wheels which I didn't necessarily like when I bought it, but the dealer said I'd love them because they hide brake dust, and he was right. Yellow car + black wheels = don't have to be so obsessive about cleaning every speck of dirt on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Porsche if I lived back in Colorado with plenty of mountain roads to drive. But since I live in Kansas now - perhaps a nice rubber burning wheel smoking flatland Corvette.
Only problem with Colorado (I used to live there, and plan on going back soon) is that no car survives without having a cracked windshield for very long. Even in the summertime, I'd have a rock flung up on me and put a crack in the windshield. Some were fixable, some not, so I'd just drive around until the crack got too bad and then get it replaced. It pains me to drive a nice sports car in Colorado with the risk of the windshield cracking, but can't really avoid it. They try to get as much gravel off the roads as they can with those highway sweeper trucks, but they can never get it all up. I do miss the twisty mountain roads, however. Very fun.