Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2014, 06:38 AM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
But he said win a C7 not a C5
Just another compare from a different era
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

"... One car that was not created to be something for everyone, but everything for someone." -- Possibly one of the most genius marketing one-liners ever.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had 4 Corvettes over the past 15 years. A C4, two C5's and now a C6. I'll probably buy a C7 next year. All were bought new except for the C4. Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never had any of them in the shop for mechanical failures. A friend of mine has driven Porsche's for years and he seems to have one in the shop several times a year.

So I'll take the Corvette.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to all who voted. Not that I had any firm basis for expectations, but the results are closer than I expected. With different design briefs and heritages, of course they're different cars, they're both great cars IMHO.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I voted for the Corvette even though I have no business driving fast cars and probably couldn't control either one of them. But my big brothers both had Corvettes back in the day, so I thought it would be fun to see what it is like to drive one.

So, my decision really had no relationship to the potential driving experience of one versus the other.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I find this somewhat bemusing, similar to getting all hissified about sports teams and such. None of the auto makers or sports franchises give me a rebate or discount, and frankly, don't know I exist beyond any of their merchandise I purchase. If they want me to wear clothing emblazoned with their logo, they should pay me an advertising fee... :-P
And that goes for the cheezy dealer emblems and logos too.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo125 View Post
I'm a Porsche (pronounced porSHA) guy. But it isn't widely known that some Porsche guys can be snobs. Some feel that the only real Porsche is a 911.
I used to be that way. Probably still am, a little.

To me, the 911 will always be "the" iconic Porsche. Not necessarily the only "real" Porsche, as I think the Boxster and Cayman have earned their place in the lineup. They're great cars.

Now I will admit I'm not a big fan of the Cayenne nor the Panamera. Although I completely understand the lucrative reasons they built the Cayenne, I still believe the heart and soul of Porsche is in sports cars, not SUVs. Same goes for the new Macan.

As far as the Panamera, I was anxious to see what Porsche was going to do with a sedan, but was disappointed. I just don't care for the styling. Oh, who the hell am I kidding...I think it's an ugly car. They could have done so much more with the styling on that instead of a big bulbous blob.

But as long as Porsche keeps a 911 in the family, I'm happy.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If they want me to wear clothing emblazoned with their logo, they should pay me an advertising fee... :-P
I agree but it does make it easy to shop for husband gifts, tee shirt with corvette!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I voted for the Corvette even though I have no business driving fast cars and probably couldn't control either one of them. But my big brothers both had Corvettes back in the day, so I thought it would be fun to see what it is like to drive one.

So, my decision really had no relationship to the potential driving experience of one versus the other.
You don't have to drive fast. I have a sweet 1971 Steel Cities Gray convertible with black top and interior. It's got a great ride. Don't have to go fast but it's got a 454 and I know I can if I want.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #70
Confused about dryer sheets

The Cayman is a better daily driver. Build quality excellent. Being mid engined grip and turn in outstanding. Frunk quite big. The S is plenty fast. Porsche FTW. My car. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1401999407.115473.jpg
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:48 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
The Cayman is a better daily driver. Build quality excellent. Being mid engined grip and turn in outstanding. Frunk quite big. The S is plenty fast. Porsche FTW. My car. Attachment 19131
Looks great! Better all around than my 2001 Carrera 4 I believe, other than I can cram DW and one DS in my back seats if I really have to.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
To me, the 911 will always be "the" iconic Porsche.
True enough, but I'd take Jay Leno's 1963 356 Carrera.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

That is a gorgeous car.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post

Yeah, that one's a real gem. Even if it's not as fast as a Corvette.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

The C7 will out perform the cayman, so if performance is what is important to you than the C7 is the easy pick.

If brand and luxury are important than the porsche is the easy pick.

I picked C7 because I take my sports cars to race events.
engprodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
The Cayman is a better daily driver. Build quality excellent. Being mid engined grip and turn in outstanding. Frunk quite big. The S is plenty fast. Porsche FTW. My car. Attachment 19131
I'm impressed with what Porsche has done with the Cayman. I was very dubious when it first came out, but I think they did a great job.

Although I stick by my earlier statement that the 911, to me, will always be the iconic Porsche, I do think the 911 is growing a little too big and bulky and more of a GT car, and losing it's roots as a small, quick, nimble sports car. I think the Cayman and Boxster have more of those traits now.

If I was looking only for dollar-to-performance for the track, I'd get a Corvette. If I was looking for a "reasonably priced" Porsche to just throw around in the corners, it would probably be the Cayman (or Boxster if budget was more an issue). But my ultimate track car will always be a 911 GT3 RS.

Provided the engine doesn't catch on fire, of course
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
+1. Nothing like the sound of a V8.
The "V8 sound" is one of the things I love about my Cayenne S, as does DW, when she's not driving her Boxster.

And yes, I picked the Cayman S - but the C7 is definitely appealing as well - now if "both" was a choice...
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #78
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I'm impressed with what Porsche has done with the Cayman. I was very dubious when it first came out, but I think they did a great job.

Although I stick by my earlier statement that the 911, to me, will always be the iconic Porsche, I do think the 911 is growing a little too big and bulky and more of a GT car, and losing it's roots as a small, quick, nimble sports car. I think the Cayman and Boxster have more of those traits now.

If I was looking only for dollar-to-performance for the track, I'd get a Corvette. If I was looking for a "reasonably priced" Porsche to just throw around in the corners, it would probably be the Cayman (or Boxster if budget was more an issue). But my ultimate track car will always be a 911 GT3 RS.

Provided the engine doesn't catch on fire, of course

I sold a 2001 911 Carrera when I got my Cayman. Loved that car but times change. I didn't really even consider a 911 the new 981 Cayman is that good. I'm keeping my eye out on what Porsche is planning for the GT4 and 960. A gift to myself in a few years when I FIRE??
DavidC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #79

Here's the test from Edmunds:

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche Cayman S Comparison Test on Edmunds.com

"The 2014 Chevrolet Corvette is fast. Terrifyingly fast at times. It dares even the best drivers to dial back the electronic nannies. And whatever your skill level, the Stingray's safety nets remove the driver from the equation in a way that also removes some small bit of the experience.
The 2014 Porsche Cayman S is the sports car distilled down to its most pure components. It mixes power and handling in such perfect proportion that driver aids are laughably unnecessary. And its higher build standard yields a sophistication the Stingray can't match. The little Porsche lacks the Corvette's bravado (it won't even do burnouts), and it struggles in any objective measure of speed relative to the Stingray.
But it doesn't matter. The Cayman S is a masterfully executed sports car that makes the numbers virtually irrelevant. It lulls its driver into a state of oneness unmatched by the Stingray. And in doing so it wins this test."
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?

My 63 Corvette convertible is being prepped for sale to make room for the 2015 Z06 Corvette. I'm on a dealer list and if I don't end up getting the 2015, I'll definitely get the 2016. I was fortunate enough to be invited by GM to a special track day event for their 2014 Stingray. I drove both the manual and the auto at Sonoma Raceway on their Nascar track. The new corvette was a blast to drive in either transmission. They have a new 8 speed auto coming out in 2015, if they can keep the auto cool on track days, I will take the auto. This will allow the DW to enjoy taking it out for a cruise. Either way (manual/auto), the new Stingray is a great car.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote