Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?

You just won a raffle, and have a choice between:

• 2014 Chevrolet Corvette

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • 2014 Porsche Cayman S

Votes: 44 51.8%

• Total voters
Checked with DW... she said... "the yellow one".:flowers:
Tell your wife to avoid all yellow cars, for some reason they are bug magnetics. When I'm sitting at a car show you can see the bugs headed right for the yellow cars. I'm not talking about road splats. These are live bugs covering the hoods. It's weird!
If your a corvette person you know what my log on name means. We like all vehicles but for right now we collect Corvettes. Have one of every generation except the C7. We're fighting over what options we want. I voted for the 2014 Corvette in the raffle but am holding out for the 2015 this Fall.
I've gone with a girlfriend in her Corvette convertible to the nursery to pick up shrubs. It's not Harbor Freight but it was messy!
Almost forgot, base price for vette coupe is a little over 53,000. Base price for Cayman is 63,000. Wonder what options they added to the vette in the Edmunds test to make them comparable.

Last edited:
Make it a 1967 L88 and I'll take the Corvette. Otherwise, I'll go with the Porsche.

Tell your wife to avoid all yellow cars, for some reason they are bug magnetics. When I'm sitting at a car show you can see the bugs headed right for the yellow cars. I'm not talking about road splats. These are live bugs covering the hoods. It's weird!

+1. My current car is yellow and always seems to attract the bugs, especially bees. On the other hand, it doesn't show the dirt as much in our area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, my 2010 Toyota Corolla was not an option and I won't spend big money on cars until I'm FIREd(and not even sure about that). 0 to 60 in "just get me to work on time" baby.

Make it a 1967 L88 and I'll take the Corvette.

Wow, now there's a rare one. If I won that in a raffle I'd have to sell it. Wouldn't/couldn't drive something that rare.

splitwdw said:
If your a corvette person you know what my log on name means.
Has to be a 1963.
Almost forgot, base price for vette coupe is a little over 53,000. Base price for Cayman is 63,000. Wonder what options they added to the vette in the Edmunds test to make them comparable.
2LT w Z51 or 3LT...

Last edited:
I could really go for a nice new honda accord or similar. And a minivan like an odyssey or an SUV like a pilot. That's about low 60's combined, right? :)

What would I net after taking a corvette, paying tax on the prize ARV/MSRP, and then losing out on depreciation? $35k? That's hardly worth the paperwork...

I'll take the corvette. I have a 2001 and could use an upgrade. In 2001, I was choosing between a corvette and a porsche boxster. Glad I picked the corvette.

Last edited:
Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.

+1. Though I'm actually a Ford guy. :cool:

Porsche if I lived back in Colorado with plenty of mountain roads to drive. But since I live in Kansas now - perhaps a nice rubber burning wheel smoking flatland Corvette.

heh heh heh - I voted Porsche but I could do both - depending. :dance:

I took overseas delivery of my Porsche 944 Turbo at the factory, with a nice tour and a ride in their rally car among others, and drove for a week or so in Germany and Switzerland. It was way better than renting a car! But with the break-in requirements I was only able to go to 5000 RPM, which was "only" 136 MPH, on the autobahn. A minor disappointment, since most of the time I was only comfortable at 100 MPH with the visibility and traffic. Past my 20's, but just before we had the kids.

I plan on doing the European Delivery and buying a new one if/when I get another 911. I've only had three new cars in my life, the last one was way back in 1992. Every one since then has been used. But after owning two 911's (both used), there are some very specific options I want if I get another, so if I can afford it, I want to get a new one this time, and stay in Europe long enough to get it past the break-in period and really enjoy it on the autobahns. Normally, I'd never buy a new car because of the massive depreciation, but a 911 is something special to me (I've always loved them) and I want to pick my own options on the next one I get.

+1. My current car is yellow and always seems to attract the bugs, especially bees. On the other hand, it doesn't show the dirt as much in our area.

Both quotes above very true. My current 2006 911 is Speed Yellow, and it does attract bugs. The other day when I pulled into the garage and got out, I noticed a honeybee had fallen off it onto the floor. Definitely attracts more insects. But, it also hides dirt very well, which until I owned it (it was my first yellow car) I wouldn't have expected that. It also has black wheels which I didn't necessarily like when I bought it, but the dealer said I'd love them because they hide brake dust, and he was right. Yellow car + black wheels = don't have to be so obsessive about cleaning every speck of dirt on the car.

Porsche if I lived back in Colorado with plenty of mountain roads to drive. But since I live in Kansas now - perhaps a nice rubber burning wheel smoking flatland Corvette.

Only problem with Colorado (I used to live there, and plan on going back soon) is that no car survives without having a cracked windshield for very long. Even in the summertime, I'd have a rock flung up on me and put a crack in the windshield. Some were fixable, some not, so I'd just drive around until the crack got too bad and then get it replaced. It pains me to drive a nice sports car in Colorado with the risk of the windshield cracking, but can't really avoid it. They try to get as much gravel off the roads as they can with those highway sweeper trucks, but they can never get it all up. I do miss the twisty mountain roads, however. Very fun.

I've owned both a C5 and a C4S, both were highly modified for road racing. Since I am performance oriented, I would opt for the Vette as it would blow the doors off the Cayman. Now if it was a 911 instead, it would be a tougher decision and if a GT3, a no brainer.

I (think I) learn something every day...
Insects see in the ultraviolet (UV) spectrum, and light colors reflect more UV light. Flowers that need to attract insects have UV patterns or are pigmented with white or yellow to attract more bugs. You and your bright yellow picnic blanket look like the biggest, tastiest flower in the world to a passing fly. If the bugs are bugging you, try a green or blue blanket at your next picnic.

Pictures are helpful, which would you choose?

Attachments

• C4S with Fikse.jpg
    C4S with Fikse.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3
  • mallett pic (2).jpg
    mallett pic (2).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3
I'm a Porsche (pronounced porSHA) guy. But it isn't widely known that some Porsche guys can be snobs. Some feel that the only real Porsche is a 911.
But a Corvette is a Corvette.
I view the Cayman as a Family sedan and the Corvette as a sports car.
Oh BTW, oil changes in Porsches cost close to $300.

While this is a bit off-topic because it doesn't involve either car that is the subjetct of this discussion. However, a few years ago I had the pleasure of test driving the mid 2000 911 Turbo (GT2) and the late 2000s Audi S4 (V8) back to back. The Porsche felt raw (and a bit cheap), the Audi was like getting an upgrade from the Greyhound to the first class lounge on an Emirates airline. The 911 had brute power that would break the massive tires loose on a punch of the throttle and a bit of a handful in corners and thus requiring finesse, experience and more driver intervention while the S4 was pretty fast but also refined- the kind of car you'd pull up to the valet for the dinner party with your date without wrinkles in clothes. The 911 Turbo on the other hand when you'd want to go swatting flies on the track. I really feel that I wouldn't enjoy owning a car like the 911 Turbo (especially a GT3 which is a race car with DOT requirements met) on the normal streets.

I feel that the new C7 is the best sports car for the money right now. Sure I'd love a new Skyline GTR in my driveway which will walk away from a C7 without breaking much sweat but it's 2x the cost of the C7!

I'm a Porsche (pronounced porSHA) guy.

But it isn't widely known that some Porsche guys can be snobs.

I thought most of them were..:confused:

Some feel that the only real Porsche is a 911.

You certainly have not seen enough Corvettes...

You are on track there...for sure.

Oh BTW, oil changes in Porsches cost close to $300.

Unless you do them yourself...

:D:D

It would be hard for me to pick between a 'Vette and a Por-sha, as I'm more of a Dodge Charger/Chevy SS type of guy, if I'm going for new-ish. But, if forced to choose, I'll pick the Chevy.

aja8888 said:
[B][I][COLOR="Teal said:
Jimbo125[/COLOR][/I][/B]"]I'm a Porsche (pronounced porSHA) guy.

But it isn't widely known that some Porsche guys can be snobs.

I thought most of them were..:confused:

Some feel that the only real Porsche is a 911.

You certainly have not seen enough Corvettes...

You are on track there...for sure.
:D:D
snob
a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people.

It would be hard for me to pick between a 'Vette and a Por-sha, as I'm more of a Dodge Charger/Chevy SS type of guy, if I'm going for new-ish. But, if forced to choose, I'll pick the Chevy.
I'll take Portia, if she is both young and pretty.

Back
Top Bottom