Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: You just won a raffle, and have a choice between:
2014 Chevrolet Corvette 41 48.24%
2014 Porsche Cayman S 44 51.76%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Chevrolet Corvette C7 or Porsche Cayman S?

Both cars offered have the same options and $ value, low 60's. Seems like a question few (car guys especially) would be in the fence about, thought I'd test the theory with a poll, and see which car this crowd might favor.

Other/neither was deliberately not an option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porsche-Cayman-S-versus-C7-Corvette-Stingray-Home.jpg (54.3 KB, 16 views)

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still sy neither. I like sleepers.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

Life long Porsche guy.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Like almost everything, of course 'it depends'.

And I don't know that much about cars in that price range, but if I won a raffle draw, and had 3 seconds to choose A or B, I'd choose B (the Porsche). I would just think that a Porsche carries more cachet than a Corvette.

Of course if I actually did win either in a raffle, I'd probably sell either after a month or so - I think that's all I'd need to get it out of my system.

EDIT/ADD - that's kinda funny, the Title and the OP said nothing about a raffle - I just threw that in as I wasn't sure what the situation was where I'd be choosing between these cars, I submitted, then went to vote for the Porsche. It wasn't until after I voted that I saw that the poll itself has a separate title, and that has the raffle scenario in it.

Further edit - DW would definitely answer "the yellow one", but I see that's not a poll option (she wouldn't care who made it).

-ERD50
Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Either would be fun. I'd probably enjoy driving the Porsche a bit more, and it might do better at resale time. But I'd bet the Corvette has a bigger trunk (useful for trips to Harbor Freight) and is probably easier to fit with a trailer hitch for hauling mulch and stuff.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never been much of a Corvette guy for street driving. I love Porsches, and own a 2006 911.

That being said...

I think the C7 is a huge step forward for the Corvette, and I'm glad to see them putting more emphasis on a better quality interior. As for the styling, I wish they'd been a bit more aggressive, but then I have styling issues with the new 911 also (I don't care for the bug-eyed headlights, nor the Panamera style console).

If I was looking for a car to take to the track, I'd get a Corvette in a heartbeat. There's no denying the Corvette has an outstanding dollar-to-performance ratio. The only thing I wish they would have done is give it a true dual-clutch transmission. Although it looks like they're installing a pretty good auto tranny in the Z06, per this article:

2015 Corvette Z06 8-Speed Shifts Faster Than Porsche PDK | GM Authority

I figure you could get a C7 to the track, dump another $25k in mods in it, and get one hell of a track car that would rival almost anything out there.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

If I had been asked this in my 20's I would have gone with the Corvette because of the greater raw power. It will definitely beat the Porsche in a straight line race. Now however, i'd prefer the Porsche. It's more refined, more driveable. Yet it's still very fun to drive(i'd imagine). Also, the Porsche looks better IMO.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Both are mid-life crisis/compensation cars. Neither would be my choice, but since that's not an option, put me down for a Porsche.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Other/neither was deliberately not an option.
But neither is still an option. One can choose not to vote, though the poll does not register that. At my age, I prefer a luxury sedan over a sports car.

PS. Oops. Just saw "won a raffle". I will have to think about this. Hmm...
Old 06-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #10

Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When/how do I claim my prize? After all, it says "You just won a raffle, ...". It doesn't say "Imagine you just won a raffle, ...".

A man should be good for his word, right? NW Indiana is not so far from me, I can come and pick it up (the Porsche) if that is best.

Midpack may need to recalculate his WR after handing out all these prizes!

-ERD50
Old 06-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Guess I am in the minority and would get the Corvette. But I am also a V8 fan, and the Corvette has a lot more power than the Porsche. I am more pro-American as well, so a Porsche does nothing for me. Not sure on repair costs, but I would bet the Porsche is more. The new Corvette is an absolute performance bargain.
I voted Vette too.

Although I drive a German car as my "daily driver", I have always been a Corvette guy and hopefully will own another on of these days. German car maintenance (and repairs) are a bit over the top with high labor prices and parts cost.

I suppose if you can afford either car, you would not worry about upkeep cost.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
The only thing I wish they would have done is give it a true dual-clutch transmission. Although it looks like they're installing a pretty good auto tranny in the Z06, per this article:

I agree about a DSG instead of the automatic, but that 8 speed is supposedly quite nice. Time will tell on how well it holds up to over 600 ft-lbs of torque.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I would pick the Corvette, however, both cars are great. This is a no lose scenario.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
+1. Nothing like the sound of a V8.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Although it looks like they're installing a pretty good auto tranny in the Z06, per this article:

So GM finally came up with an answer to the Porsche PDK (introduced to consumers in 2008, in development in 2003)...
Quote:
The General wanted to match the lightning-fast shifts offered by Porsche’s PDK transmission, but no dual gearbox existed that met both of GM’s requirements.
But there's no right answer, it's all personal preference. That's what makes the world go 'round.

I couldn't fully exploit/appreciate what either car has to offer, but then 95% of their owners probably drive them like Buick's 99% of the time anyway.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #17

I picked the Corvette simply because I got to drive one (once, long ago) and loved it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #18

If given the time, I'd check with a dealer to see which one I could move the quickest and invest the funds. Of course, I'd drive it for a few weeks unless that reduced it's value.

Now if I was in my 20's and had this opportunity while I was living in Germany!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

My initial thought was a need a pure sports car and the Vette was the answer. The older Caymens were more of a luxury car with the Porsche nameplate, but I just read some reviews and I guess the 2013/2014 Caymans are a different animal..

Anyway now I'm torn (the poll is 14/14 right now). Still a Tesla can hold its own against a Cayman and loses to Vette so I'll go with the Vette.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
If given the time, I'd check with a dealer to see which one I could move the quickest and invest the funds. Of course, I'd drive it for a few weeks unless that reduced it's value.

Now if I was in my 20's and had this opportunity while I was living in Germany!!!!!!!!!!
I took overseas delivery of my Porsche 944 Turbo at the factory, with a nice tour and a ride in their rally car among others, and drove for a week or so in Germany and Switzerland. It was way better than renting a car! But with the break-in requirements I was only able to go to 5000 RPM, which was "only" 136 MPH, on the autobahn. A minor disappointment, since most of the time I was only comfortable at 100 MPH with the visibility and traffic. Past my 20's, but just before we had the kids.