Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do people become curmudgeons later in life, or are they born that way?
People aren’t born that way, life makes them angry old people 21 22.34%
Curmudgeoness is a trait some are given at birth, this one takes a long time to develop 26 27.66%
Not sure, but get off my lawn! 27 28.72%
Also not sure, but have a nice day 20 21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I do not consider myself a curmudgeon. I'll balance the rest of the grouches out.
Oh, we all know you are not a curmudgeon. And I thank you.

As for me, I am a self-admittedly cranky person (see my earlier posts). But here on this forum, since I do not know any of y'all in person, I have not been bothered by anyone's post.

I often feign indignation, or tease someone to get an exchange going. It could be fun. But it appears that people quite often do not get it, and thought I was really mad, or that I was mean. Oh, life is too short for that crap! But it shows that one must understand his audience when attempting humor.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My siblings have agreed with me that my mom has changed. So, that's one thing in my favor.
On a more serious note, I wonder if this sort of behavioral change could be caused by a shifting of body chemistry similar to depression.

Maybe "depression" is the wrong word from the clinical perspective. I agree that there are plenty of reasons to get grumpy about aging. But perhaps the body tries to force that process along by no longer creating enough of the right kinds of endorphins or seritonins or whatever's appropriate.

I wonder if it's as easy as a shot from the "Optimism Gun":
The Practical Benefits of Outrageous Optimism | Mr. Money Mustache

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
And here all this time I thought you liked me...

Take 10 points.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
On a more serious note, I wonder if this sort of behavioral change could be caused by a shifting of body chemistry similar to depression.

Maybe "depression" is the wrong word from the clinical perspective. I agree that there are plenty of reasons to get grumpy about aging. But perhaps the body tries to force that process along by no longer creating enough of the right kinds of endorphins or seritonins or whatever's appropriate.

I wonder if it's as easy as a shot from the "Optimism Gun":
The Practical Benefits of Outrageous Optimism | Mr. Money Mustache
Maybe my mother's health has something to do with it, but I feel that it is not the case. I think it's more with getting older. But heck, how does one separate the effects of aging and deteriorating health, as they go together?

I read the "Optimism Gun" article. I prefer to be a realistic person, and not so optimistic.

Anyway, I truly believe people all get grumpier as they age. And curmudgeoness is not a binary state, but a matter of degrees. We all get more impatient and cranky as we age.

But one can be ill-tempered and in a very bad mood without really being a curmudgeon (not that we have really defined that term). I will give an example as follows. This is a cranky guy who is not really a curmudgeon, and someone I never was, am, or ever will be.

We went to Home Depot today to buy some bags of manure to prepare for fall planting. As we waited in line at the cash register, there were two persons in front of us. There was some problem, and the customer being served was there for quite a bit longer than it should have taken.

Another customer came up behind me. He immediately complained that there was only one cash register open (this was at the garden/outdoor area). As this guy had only one item in hand, my wife signaled to me that we should let him go ahead of us. I nodded in agreement, and told the guy to go ahead. He thanked us.

When this guy got to the cash register, he wanted to pay for something that was out in front of the store, out at the curb actually. The cashier had problems looking it up on the computer. This guy was a foreigner, and we had some difficulties understanding him. Still, while he was getting more and more impatient and started to raise his voice with the cashier, we heard he said "On sale, Potting soil, 99c".

So, my wife and I looked at each other as we shared the same thought. Heck, we wanted to get some of that cheap potting soil too. So, we left our cart and took a quick walk outside to see what it was.

It was simply another pallet of the same bags of manure that we just picked up from back of the store. It was not potting soil, not on sale, and the price was 97c, not 99c. No wonder the clerk had problems looking it up. Meanwhile, this cranky and impatient customer was fuming.

So, we walked back in, and told the clerk that he could simply scan the bags of manure that we had in our cart, instead of looking up something that did not exist.

Good grief. Cranky as I could ever be, I would not be so impatient and ill-tempered, and made a fool of myself, particularly when I was all wrong to start out with. By the way, he was about mid-50, our age.

Amazingly, the cashier remained cool throughout all this.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Experience with family members leaves me no doubt this is at least one cause of grumpiness in older folks. A decline in hearing and vision makes it difficult to follow conversations, add a little vascular dementia and we have someone who could easily be called a curmudgeon. Tragically, these are conditions that can be treated and at least some of the symptoms relieved.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As for me, I am a self-admittedly cranky person (see my earlier posts). But here on this forum, since I do not know any of y'all in person, I have not been bothered by anyone's post.

I often feign indignation, or tease someone to get an exchange going. It could be fun. But it appears that people quite often do not get it, and thought I was really mad, or that I was mean. Oh, life is too short for that crap! But it shows that one must understand his audience when attempting humor.
FWIW, I've not noticed any curmudgeonly behaviour in you. I also suspect that a curmudgeon in a face to face situation will be even more so online where there is no feedback or body language to warn us to be careful.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is my excuse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40things036.jpg (29.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
FWIW, I've not noticed any curmudgeonly behaviour in you.
Can I quote you to tell my relatives, my wife included, that I am not that bad a curmudgeon?

On 2nd thought, no. They would say "So? You are just friendlier with your internet buddies than with us". But I thank you for the comment.