Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Be honest! Did you ever own/wear a leisure suit?
Yes, I wore one back in the day (70's), didn't everyone? 24 36.36%
No, I dodged that trend somehow, or I just can't admit it even anonymously 39 59.09%
Yes, and I still do. So do all my friends... 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Extra points if it was pastel !
No extra points - It was Khaki colored - but I remember having a colorful shirt.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:35 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No extra points - It was Khaki colored - but I remember having a colorful shirt.

Mine was pastel sage green, complete with the groovy Quiana shirt. And the stack shoes. I was killin' it!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #43

No leisure suit. But I did own a couple of flowered polyester shirts at the encouragement of a girlfriend at the time. I actually wore them in public too. Twice.

Fortunately there are no photos.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #44

As a result of this thread I have this mental image of a bunch of middle aged guys looking through their boxes of old photos, finding the ones with leisure suits and loud polyester shirts - and destroying the evidence.

Hmmm...did Midpack ever fess up to his own wardrobe choices? Or is that him in the green suit in the first post?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a chance. No leisure suits, no gold chains, no open shirts.

I do have a photo of me in a suit I bought for my father's retirement dinner - polyester with a fat tie. But that was as far as I would go.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
As a result of this thread I have this mental image of a bunch of middle aged guys looking through their boxes of old photos, finding the ones with leisure suits and loud polyester shirts - and destroying the evidence.

Hmmm...did Midpack ever fess up to his own wardrobe choices? Or is that him in the green suit in the first post?
Not me in the OP pic.

I had a turquoise plaid leisure suit in college, often worn with a satin shirt (Nik Nik, extra points if you remember them) and black & white patent platform Florsheim shoes. I never bought into gold chains though. I also had a white 3-piece suit like Travolta's. I was a dancing fool for a few years, while it was the thing to do, not that I liked dancing.

It's funny now, but the clothes served their purpose back in the day , no regrets. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #47
Confused about dryer sheets

Wore for a Halloween Party in 2002 and won 1st place!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I grew up just north of NYC, so the disco era clothing was worn proudly by all the guys who could afford it.
For myself, I could not afford to buy the current trendy clothes, so I sewed a cap sleeve fitted jacket and high waisted pants (for women) outfit for myself. It turned out pretty well.
I have no pics, but I will try to find the 1970s sewing pattern online.

UPDATED: This is very similar, minus the vest. The pattern I used was a McCall's but I could not find an image of that particular pattern. I would recognize it in an instant.

Want to see some cool 1970s fashions?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=-1&sk=#x0y614

I also made the shorter version of this dress (on the left) in a gorgeous purple flowered fabric

Old 03-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never a liesure suit but I did wear a hideous powder blue tuxedo to my senior prom. I Was stylin!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #50

I always equated these polyester leisure suits to a hillbilly's idea of dressing up, not so much a disco look. Plus add in the white shoes to go with it. Yuk!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #51

No, but my husband at the time did. (He later became my ex-husband, but to be honest, it had nothing to do with the leisure suit. It had to do with his secretary.)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a men's wear buyer during the disco age so I got most of my clothing for free. I may have owned a leisure suit (don't quite remember but I did own many floral & scenic shirts & Nik Nik shirts (the ones with things going into or coming out of the chest pocket). I never owned a Nehru suit.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Well, I call my birthday suit my leisure suit, so I guess the answer is yes........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
No leisure suits and no disco dancing. But I did own a video game called Leisure Suit Larry
I still have that game on floppy: "Leisure Suit Larry and the Revenge of the Lounge Lizards"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Are you expecting only men to answer your poll?
There were plenty of awesome poly "pant suits" being sold during that era also ( well maybe a bit earlier ?)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #56

I voted no. Not only no but hell no! I thought they were the ugliest thing ever invented. When DW and I got married in 1972, 2nd time for both of us, we decided we wanted nothing fancy. I wore a suit and DW wore a very nice dress as did her maid of honor. My best man shows up in a leisure suit. Surprised me! I gave him a hard time about it as I really hated the things. Six months later he was killed in an accident and his family buried him in that suit. So, I have a bad memory of the leisure suit.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Never a liesure suit but I did wear a hideous powder blue tuxedo to my senior prom. I Was stylin!!!
My date for senior prom showed up in the awful concoction below, yikes! I was fairly mortified as the picture depicts. I might have preferred the powder blue one you wore! All the other guys wore normal black tuxes.

Midpack, my DH would kill to have that green one you posted, for our St. Pat's party!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prom.jpg (37.9 KB, 6 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Oh, hell no......lol
+1
Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
While not leisure suit, more like a Pimp G suit. I can't believe I left the house like this.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Don't forget while the guys were wearing leisure suits we women were wearing platform shoes ,bell bottoms and hot pants !
This thread post is useless without pictures.....