Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Be honest! Did you ever own/wear a leisure suit?
Yes, I wore one back in the day (70's), didn't everyone? 24 36.36%
No, I dodged that trend somehow, or I just can't admit it even anonymously 39 59.09%
Yes, and I still do. So do all my friends... 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never wore a leasure suit. I think I got that sort of thing out of my system a few years earlier wearing a Nehru jacket once. Really, it was only one time and I learned my lesson.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Is it a slow day in Chicagoland Midpack?
Just trying to provide some amusement among the more serious topics. I saw one on TV today, and it made me cringe, and then laugh (at myself). Good thing DW didn't know me yet.

And not sure I believe the results, but not the point anyway.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Are you expecting only men to answer your poll?
All are welcome, but not as amusing with women. Seems like Hillary has worn them her whole life, and still does...

Old 03-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Don't forget while the guys were wearing leisure suits we women were wearing platform shoes ,bell bottoms and hot pants !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #25

There was a resurgence of the fad for Oxford Bags when I was in school in the 1970's in England. Oxford Bags were the kind of pants the Bay City Rollers wore. I really wanted a pair of these and some platform shoes, so I could be as popular with the girls as Anthony Quinn was (not the actor - I had a classmate of the same name who in my estimation was the class "cool guy"). My Mum wouldn't buy me the platform shoes, but she did buy me a variant of Oxford Bags, which we called "Patch Pockets" and which looked like astronaut pants - almost like what we call cargo pants nowadays, but baggier. They were a rather boring brown color, so I could wear them to school. I must have looked like a right twerp, but I was the happiest kid on the planet

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
There was a resurgence of the fad for Oxford Bags when I was in school in the 1970's in England. Oxford Bags were the kind of pants the Bay City Rollers wore. I really wanted a pair of these and some platform shoes, so I could be as popular with the girls as Anthony Quinn was (not the actor - I had a classmate of the same name who in my estimation was the class "cool guy"). My Mum wouldn't buy me the platform shoes, but she did buy me a variant of Oxford Bags, which we called "Patch Pockets" and which looked like astronaut pants - almost like what we call cargo pants nowadays, but baggier. They were a rather boring brown color, so I could wear them to school. I must have looked like a right twerp, but I was the happiest kid on the planet
See, leisure suits are looking pretty tame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay-city-rollers.jpg (45.2 KB, 4 views)

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Come on, we're all the right age here, just admit it...

[I did the poll option, and provided answers, but somehow it got lost] probably doesn't matter much.
Lord, pluck my eyeballs out now!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Lord, pluck my eyeballs out now!
That one really made me laugh, thanks...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to admit it, but yes - I had a leisure suit and I believe I wore it out in public at least once.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I hate to admit it, but yes - I had a leisure suit and I believe I wore it out in public at least once.
Extra points if it was pastel !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I didn't even own any kind of suit until I was in my late 30's. For my wedding, I rented a tux. For work, I had the requisite Harris Tweed jacket and a Brooks Brothers Navy Blue Blazer, but never a 3-piece suit.

I did buy a suit for my dad's funeral, but it wasn't a leisure suit.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Don't forget while the guys were wearing leisure suits we women were wearing platform shoes ,bell bottoms and hot pants !
Don't forget the "low" jeans and mid-rift tops.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just trying to provide some amusement among the more serious topics. I saw one on TV today, and it made me cringe, and then laugh (at myself). Good thing DW didn't know me yet.

And not sure I believe the results, but not the point anyway.
I think adding "I just can't admit it even anonymously" to one of the alternatives biased the poll result - I hesitated when I saw that "out".
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

No leisure suit for me.

Heck, in the mid to late 70s, between school and the weekend job, I did not have much "leisure" nor money. In the early 80s, when I started to make money, that fashion was already out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #35

Guilty.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

DH never had a leisure suit but he did have a regulation suit in a pale cream with a GIANT ope lime green and orange plaid overlaying it, big lapels, belled trousers, worn with oversized-collared shirts and enormous ties. Funniest pictures ever.

And I loved wearing hot pants as well as the occasional jumpsuit, because what woman doesn't enjoy the awkwardness of using a ladies' room in that get up.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #37

Never.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I don't remember the 70s. Good thing too by the look of it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #39

Guilty. I was 14 or 15...color was baby blue. I cringe just thinking about it...mom was quite the seamstress, and she made it for me. At that age, I would not yet have been going to discos, but I do remember wearing it to church. Whoa, another cringe.....

R
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #40
Administrator

No leisure suits and no disco dancing. But I did own a video game called Leisure Suit Larry
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote