Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Did you learn to sleep in after retiring?
Yep, I sleep quite a bit later than I did during my work years. 58 47.15%
Nope, I’m still up about the same time now, with or without an alarm. 65 52.85%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think you need a third button.

3. You would love to sleep in but your partner still gets up without an alarm and thus your up against your will.

My honey gets up at 5AM, between him waking the cats up and him getting home STARVING from the gym and thus making ridiculous amounts of noise so I'll get up and make him breakfast.. yeh, if I sleep until 7 I'm lucky.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:20 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post

3. You would love to sleep in but your partner still gets up without an alarm and thus your up against your will.
In this situation, with a spouse who will likely keep working as long as they can since their vocation (teacher) for them is more of a calling than a job.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #43

During my whole school and work life, I had to set an alarm and force myself to get up. After I retired, I sleep in till 8:00 or so. I still need an alarm to wake up at 8:00-8:30. If I don't set an alarm, I wake up at 10 or later. I'm not a morning person.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm up around the same time 6:45 to 7 am, but my alarm clock is now our dog, which we got after I retired. I get up and grab coffee for me and the DW and watch the news and surf online for an hour or so before starting my day. I LOVE my mornings since I FIRE'd!!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingmn View Post
Still a morning person so I don't sleep in but I am finding 20-30 minute afternoon naps to be very refreshing a couple times/week.
While at work, I’d be up about 5AM daily. Now that I’ve retired, the idea that I *can* sleep later is what reduces my stress level - but I’m still up between 5AM and 6AM every day. As Fishingmn said above, the 20-30 minute afternoon nap is a wonderful idea that I’ve adopted.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

When I was working, I was sitting at my desk at work before 6 AM each morning. I always thought I was a morning person. Surprise! When I retired, I discovered that that was untrue.

I don't have pets or other humans living in my house, so in retirement I get to determine when I sleep.

It's puzzling and I still don't have it figured out. I have to set my alarm in order to maintain any semblance of a regular sleep schedule (which I personally find that I need). Otherwise I start living 25-26 hour days, since I never want to go to bed until I am so exhausted I can't see straight, and I never seem to want to get up, either. And trust me, a 25-26 hour day just does not synch with the rest of the universe.

Lately I have been setting my alarm for 10 AM. I love staying up through the wee hours, but I do miss those early mornings. So, I might move it back to 9 AM at some point. Often I nap for an hour or two in the late afternoon which I find to be unbelievably refreshing and delightful.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post

My honey gets up at 5AM, between him waking the cats up and him getting home STARVING from the gym and thus making ridiculous amounts of noise so I'll get up and make him breakfast.. yeh, if I sleep until 7 I'm lucky.
Reminds me of an cute adage.

Do you know how to tell who’s in charge in a marriage? If you get up to turn off the lights just before you go to sleep, while standing by the lightswitch, turn and look at who’s in bed - that’s the boss in your marriage.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Last 8 years before ER I never had to set an alarm because my young kids never slept past 6am. Just about the time I ER'd they finally started sleeping later (or at least not making waking me up their first act upon rising). But they also got old enough for elementary school, so now I have to set an alarm to get up at 6:45 to get them to school by 7:45.... I look forward to sleeping in some day, maybe when the youngest gets to middle school in 4 years...
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #49

Nope, I'm up at the same time as always.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #50

Depends on what you mean by wake up. I frequently wake up at 2-3 AM and read for a while, but almost invariably get back down for a "second sleep" that ends around 6-7. Sure beats waking up for that 4 AM commute.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Depends on what you mean by wake up. I frequently wake up at 2-3 AM and read for a while, but almost invariably get back down for a "second sleep" that ends around 6-7. Sure beats waking up for that 4 AM commute.
I often wake up around 1-2am and have trouble going back to sleep. So I get up and surf the net for an hour or so. Often post here during this period. Go back to sleep for another 3-4 hours. Seems to work fine.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a hard time sleeping more than 5 or 6 hours at night. Go to bed at 12:00 and awake before 5:30 most days feeling refreshed. But many days, I have the guilty pleasure of taking '40 winks' sometime after lunch...
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

While w*rking, I rarely had set hours and kept what I called "super maxi flex hours", which meant avoiding bad traffic times. I rarely had to be in early, so I never had to be an early riser. Now, I find that I naturally wake up between 7 and 9...and it's wonderful. I can't recall the last time I set an alarm.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:20 AM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still get up at the same time, but now I consistently take my (short) siesta in the afternoon.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I often wake up around 1-2am and have trouble going back to sleep. So I get up and surf the net for an hour or so. Often post here during this period. Go back to sleep for another 3-4 hours. Seems to work fine.
Yes one if the things we have learned from many years in retirement is that everything can be flexible. I will wake up and watch Seth Myers from Seattle at 2:37 am, then maybe a recorded show, and go back to sleep for 4 hours. I seldom sleep for 7-8 hours straight anymore. But then I never do anything for 7-8 hours straight.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I’ll let you decide which answer best fits your expectations. I guess if pressed I’d say sleeping in is an hour or more later than your work alarm time.

For all my working years, I set an alarm and got up at somewhere between 4:45a to 5:30a, my work start time and morning routine changed some over 35 years.

I rarely set an alarm now, and I expected to learn to sleep in a little. But after more than 6 years retired, it’s rare I sleep past 6:00a and I’m usually up around 5a. DW sleeps until 7a Mon-Fri and later on weekends. Maybe I’ll still learn?
I haven't retired yet, but I've learned to sleep in on every day I don't have to be up for work.. does that count?
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Much better sleep. I was amazed how sleep deprived I was before retirement! I get up when I wake up, usually 0730-0830. Still have work dreams, running calls, doing CPR on someone. Fought a house fire in a dream last week. It's been 1.5 years since I left and still dreaming about it.
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #58

For awhile after ER, I got in the habit of staying up very late (past midnight) and sleeping until after 8am many days. Then 2.5 years ago we got a little dog, who expects to be walked no later than 7:30 and usually a bit earlier. So I adapted to his schedule and now usually turn off the light by 11:30. Still beats the heck out of getting up at 5:45am.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #59

Straight up night owl here. Bed 2,3 sometimes 4 am, wake up around noon.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:53 PM   #60

I didn't need to learn to sleep in as my sleep wake pattern was always quite variable and usually didn't have a fixed wake time through the years. Never had much (any!) trouble filling the available time for zzzzzz's.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote