Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Text (with your phone)?
Often, it's a useful alternative. 51 35.92%
Once in a while, when I have to (answer someone). 29 20.42%
Almost never or never. 56 39.44%
What's a text? 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have sent one or two (maybe three) texts on my sis-in-law's cellphone.

I don't own a cellphone. When I did have a cellphone, I had the texting disabled. I have a visceral dislike of texting and cannot explain why.

ER, for all intents and purposes. Part-time income <5% of annual expenditure.
Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Katsmeow

That reminds me... last summer we were on vacation and I got separated from DH and the kids while we were in the Louvre. I was really panicked for a few minutes but DH and I texted each other and set up a place to meet. I could have called but calling was a lot more expensive than texting...
I can guess the content: "CU @ Mona Lisa"

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #63
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I can guess the content: "CU @ Mona Lisa"
LOL! Actually the crush around Mona Lisa would have made it very difficult to meet...I think we sedately met near the entrance...
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:23 AM   #64
I like texting too. I may send or receive 10-20 text messages a day.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #65
Originally Posted by rodi
Some examples of texting I've done recently.

Also found it great for when we're at disneyland and split up. You can text the other group when you get off the ride and the msg will be waiting for them when they get off their ride.
We go to Disneyland or WDW once a year with lots of family and texting has really improved meeting up, finding each other, etc.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.
DD responds to texting far better than email or voice call to everyone. I only have a few friends and family that I communicate with, so whether I text or talk to someone is pretty irrelevant. But texting tends to be more efficient and takes less time. DD must have over 1000 friends from California to Europe and beyond. I think keeping up with more than a few people with voice mode would be impossible. I also like the easy ability to include a photo with a text.
Can't you see yourself in the nursing home saying, " Darn! Wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of wasting time with family and friends."
tightasadrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets
For personal I use non-voice forms of messaging almost entirely. Email is my favorite, but with anyone whom I know carries a Blackberry, my favorite is Blackberry messaging, which is a form of IM that works between Blackberry units, regardless of the carrier. BB messaging is supposed to be one of the very few still entirely untraceable forms of communication (has proved very useful especially with colleagues with dialogue that should not get documented or even accidentally forwarded). Also, Blackberry messaging is free globally, which has made it my favorite form of communication with DW when either one of us travels internationally and it would be difficult some times to have voice discussion due to time differences and schedules.
Grainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #68
"Don't phone, don't text... What do U do?"

Surprised by the number who don't care for the phone. Add me to that group.

GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote