Poll: Do U Text?

Do You Text (with your phone)?

• Often, it's a useful alternative.

Votes: 51 35.9%
  • Once in a while, when I have to (answer someone).

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • Almost never or never.

Votes: 56 39.4%
  • What's a text?

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
And this is why the new plans at Verizon give you unlimited talk time but what varies your cost is how much data you use. Basically people aren't doing that much talking on their phones. They are texting and otherwise using data. So now price varies based upon data usage not based upon how much you talk.
I remember reading about a 1980s design for cell phone bandwidth where they expected 95% of it to be voice and 5% would be for cell-tower techs to send short "text messages" to each other to keep the system running...

Even w/o an emergency, I find texting through email on the computer much easier than trying to do it on a phone. And learn to text on your phone, and have those numbers there - you may need it someday when voice is inoperable.

PS - Couldn't answer the poll, my selection would have been:

(X) Once in a while, when I have to (send a text to someone).

-ERD50

I ended up getting a phone with a keyboard to make texting easier, (not a smart phone still to cheap to spend the extra $30-$50 for the data plans). Two years ago I would have answered once in a while, but now I am probably sending one or so a day.

I have also gotten in the habit after exchanging 2 texts I call the person cause it is very inefficient way of communication. But for things like addresses, phone numbers, simple directions it is actually better than phone conversation.

Jane Hi Hun how was your day
Joe Ok but blah blah blah happened I am leaving in 30 minutes How was your day?
Jane Really great blah blah. Would you stop and pick XYZ at such and such shop.
Joe. That's great I am so excited for you. 10 minute conversation takes place..

Often Joe will forget the instructions, with a text not as often.

No. No cell phone either. I don't have a job that requires a cell, and I'm single with no kids. Just not into the constant communication that others seem to be: I never understand who everyone is talking to. I like e-mail and my little Asus tablet with keyboard accompanies me anywhere I think I might need to e-mail. I have always been phone shy for some reason.

I answered often. I text more often than I talk on phone, but talk on phone for more time daily. If I want to talk, sometimes I will text and ask "is this a good time?" I am not a good enough textter to have a satisfying conversation texting

I don't have landline; I have a querty phone with no contract but unlimited usage.

Ha

As I don't own a text machine, I can not/do not text.

If you can post to this forum you can text, a computer and email is a 'text machine'. See my post #45.

-ERD50

Some examples of texting I've done recently.

1) texted nephew who works as a gaffer in LA. Answering a voice call on set would be grounds for firing... but he can text quietly... so it's the best way to reach him.
2) texted piano teacher to confirm lesson time for the kids. She's often with other students so this lets her answer at her convenience without interrupting her lessons.
3) texted my sister to wish her happy last day of school. She's a teacher. She can check her texts during the day much easier than checking voicemail.

Also found it great for when we're at disneyland and split up. You can text the other group when you get off the ride and the msg will be waiting for them when they get off their ride.

I think this brings up a major point. Now, I type really well on keyboards and am adequate on the phone. I have an Android phone and use swype which makes texting easy. But, I was looking at my son the other day texting a friend (he texts about 3000 times per month) and his thumbs were just flying and he could type extremely rapidly. I think that for many in his generation texting is just very fast because of that.

I'm sort of in the middle. I can text reasonably rapidly but can type on a full keyboard much faster. But for someone like my mom she tried to do texting but really couldn't handle the typing part of it.

Come to think of it, I was way off base on my post about being "all thumbs" as a reason for not texting. Katsmeow reminded me that most people seem to use only their thumbs for texting. My bad.

As I don't own a text machine, I can not/do not text.
I'm strictly a land-line-phone-using-deck-top-computer-utilizing ERer.
Does that make me old-school?
I think it makes you averse to being easily reachable 24/7 by your employer.

Each experience we've had with cell phones & texts has been under similarly adverse circumstances, and any reinforcement is usually negative. The last time I was texting, my Dad was in the hospital and I was scrambling with a geriatric care provider to find a skilled nursing facility for rehab.

Also found it great for when we're at disneyland and split up. You can text the other group when you get off the ride and the msg will be waiting for them when they get off their ride.

That reminds me... last summer we were on vacation and I got separated from DH and the kids while we were in the Louvre. I was really panicked for a few minutes but DH and I texted each other and set up a place to meet. I could have called but calling was a lot more expensive than texting...

I have sent one or two (maybe three) texts on my sis-in-law's cellphone.

I don't own a cellphone. When I did have a cellphone, I had the texting disabled. I have a visceral dislike of texting and cannot explain why.

Katsmeow said:
That reminds me... last summer we were on vacation and I got separated from DH and the kids while we were in the Louvre. I was really panicked for a few minutes but DH and I texted each other and set up a place to meet. I could have called but calling was a lot more expensive than texting...

I can guess the content: "CU @ Mona Lisa"

I can guess the content: "CU @ Mona Lisa"

LOL! Actually the crush around Mona Lisa would have made it very difficult to meet...I think we sedately met near the entrance...

rodi said:
Some examples of texting I've done recently.

We go to Disneyland or WDW once a year with lots of family and texting has really improved meeting up, finding each other, etc.

DD responds to texting far better than email or voice call to everyone. I only have a few friends and family that I communicate with, so whether I text or talk to someone is pretty irrelevant. But texting tends to be more efficient and takes less time. DD must have over 1000 friends from California to Europe and beyond. I think keeping up with more than a few people with voice mode would be impossible. I also like the easy ability to include a photo with a text.

For personal I use non-voice forms of messaging almost entirely. Email is my favorite, but with anyone whom I know carries a Blackberry, my favorite is Blackberry messaging, which is a form of IM that works between Blackberry units, regardless of the carrier. BB messaging is supposed to be one of the very few still entirely untraceable forms of communication (has proved very useful especially with colleagues with dialogue that should not get documented or even accidentally forwarded). Also, Blackberry messaging is free globally, which has made it my favorite form of communication with DW when either one of us travels internationally and it would be difficult some times to have voice discussion due to time differences and schedules.

Last edited:
"Don't phone, don't text... What do U do?"

Surprised by the number who don't care for the phone. Add me to that group.

Back
Top Bottom