Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Text (with your phone)?
Often, it's a useful alternative. 51 35.92%
Once in a while, when I have to (answer someone). 29 20.42%
Almost never or never. 56 39.44%
What's a text? 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Do U Text?
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Do U Text?

Just curious re: our generation...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes i have hearing problems and only have a data plan on my iPhone. Been texting for quite a few years with my daughter. I do have a problem tho...can't hear or feel (vibration) when I get a text...so daughter calls my landline that has a very loud ring then I get my iPhone to read the txt. Love texting.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Just curious re: our generation...
Uh, how can you determine generation in the poll answers? Forum members cover a pretty broad range.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Uh, how can you determine generation in the poll answers? Forum members cover a pretty broad range.
Presumably a narrower range and a higher mean than the general population no? I don't think Gen X or especially Gen Y are well represented here.

Guess someone could poll that too...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #5

OK...old fogey here.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've texted a time or two in the past...But I try to avoid texting with a passion. I like my flip phone tracfone. The ring tone is very unique.. It makes a sound that goes "Ring..."
Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes. It's the only thing that gets me a response from our children!
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Yes. It's the only thing that gets me a response from our children!
True here, too. So, I engage in texting, but rarely. Kids like it, IMO, because its inefficiency precludes long discussions that might prove "awkward."
"B L8 home 2nite. C ya in AM. Battery lo. Luv"
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Only from Carribean to kids and to family members while at a "destination wedding" (family members were there too). We did this because our phone company charges an arm and a leg for out of country voice calls. Actually that's DW's company, mine doesn't work out of country. Pay as you go phones, we use maybe $25/yr.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #10

I don't get texting. Why would someone want to waste time typing when you can talk to someone? Then again, I don't own a cell phone either.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Presumably a narrower range and a higher mean than the general population no? I don't think Gen X or especially Gen Y are well represented here.

Guess someone could poll that too...
You think "boomers" are the only generation represented here? Seems to me there are 4 generations that contribute regularly.

2000/2001-Present - New Silent Generation or Generation Z
*1980-2000 - Millennials or Generation Y
*1965-1979 - Generation X
*1946-1964 - Baby Boom
*1925-1945 - Silent Generation
1900-1924 - G.I. Generation
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never been much of a phone person. Much rather talk to someone in person than on the phone. That being said I can't believe I'm admitting that I like texting. Since our sons don't live near us anymore (one 110 miles away...the other one across the country) I find texting to be a godsend. I don't have to worry about time zones or babies sleeping and waking them with a ringing phone. Of course my text usually consist of "R u available for a phone call?" And as someone else noted I get responses better than leaving a message.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #13

Nope, I do not. Occasionally a friend will send me a text and I can send back a short, misspelled reply. Or else I call the sender. I have a land line, a cell phone and e-mail. I think I have enough ways for people to get in touch with me.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I have never sent a text.

Verizon was kind enough to turn off my texting capabilities at my request. They can still send me texts, but almost never do and all other text messages are blocked.

(early baby boomer here)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Texting is a separate form of communication and a godsend for the extremely introverted. I far prefer texting to talking on the telephone (I've never liked "chatting" on the phone). As I explained it to my mother (70 years old), texting is like leaving a polite note on someone's desk, asking them to respond when it is convenient; telephoning is a brusk demand that they drop everything and attend to you NOW!

I do not even have the voice mail enabled on my mobile phone--if you want to get in touch with me, text me, or email me. The land line has an old-school answering machine to field most of the robo calls, and I only answer it if I know the caller and would rather speak with them now than call them back later.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Texting is convenient for reaching the kids since they use it all the time. I rarely text anyone over 40. It is actually a simple, quick and unobtrusive way to reach people. Less obtrusive than phoning and quicker, generally, than email.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
I don't get texting. Why would someone want to waste time typing when you can talk to someone? Then again, I don't own a cell phone either.
Because you can't talk to someone and they don't get e-mail on their phone.

Examples:

You are in a meeting and cannot talk, so texting is easy.

Your recipient is in school or on an airplane, or otherwise indisposed and won't listen to voice mail.

You are in a movie theater and cannot talk on your phone.

You are on an airplane, bus, or other close quarters and don't want the folks nearby to participate in your "conversation".

You are in a restaurant and everybody at your table is texting someone else. So you text them that the waiter has delivered the food.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I chose "what's a text" because, as someone who hates cell phones (too), I figured someone has to pick this choice even though the one above it is not really any different.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Once I got a phone with a true keyboard, it is my choice of communication. I have a couple of old school friends I still call instead because they prefer that.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Mostly just with my husband. It's so much easier than having to check the voicemail for a quick message. I hate talking on the phone and don't want to communicate with other people enough to text, email or call them generally.
Chelhxi is offline   Reply With Quote