Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you own any Apple products?
Nope, I don't own any devices made by Apple. 48 37.80%
Yup, I have one device (Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.). 18 14.17%
Yup, I have more than one Apple device. 50 39.37%
Yes siree Bob (who's Bob?), big Apple fan, got 'em all. 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

DH is a Mac but I'm a PC. But I do really like the upgraded iShirt--a nice change from the original turtleneck version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jobs.jpg (12.8 KB, 132 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Truthfully, I was always sort of anti-Apple and a Windows fan. But a few years ago I got an ipod and that became a nano and then a touch and now I have an iPhone and now an iPad. Still don't want an imac since I like high end gaming computers but DH got one he retired (he was curious about it_.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nope. I might get an iPhone if Verizon ever works out a deal with Apple/Mac. Also, right now my work pay for my smart phone, but they don't support iPhones.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Been using Apple products since the IIe. Current Apple products
iMac 27"
MacBook
Newton
iPhone original
iPhone 3gs
iPod
iPad
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #25

No. Helped a friend set up an iPod, requiring an iTunes installation. Made me appreciate my drag-n-drop non iPods that much more.

--household tallies
4 computers (all Windows XP)
2 Blackberry phones
3 Sandisk mp3 players
Old 09-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
Been using Apple products since the IIe.
Me too, but I haven't owned any, personally.

Right now I am perfectly happy with:

* Dell desktop and Toshiba laptop
* Sandisk mp3 player
* Kindle 3 and Kindle DX
* Motorola flip phone that isn't a smartphone

Works for me. I don't have anything against Apple but usually their prices seem comparatively high and my needs for features in a device are not.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #27

Count me as another not-a-Mac fan, but I do own several iPods and the rather brilliant Airplay dohickey that lets me play music from my computer through my stereo and use the iPod as a remote.
I don't care for their computers, but it is just because they are unfamiliar to me and I don't think I'd fully use their benefits to justify the additional cost over a PC.
The iPod is an amazing product, bar none. If iPhone's had better coverage here, I'd have gotten one of them instead of the Blackberry.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't have any Apple products but I've given enough as gifts . If I was going to own one it would be the IPAD .I'm just not a big gadget lover . I recently bought an ereader and frankly it is fine but I prefer library books except for travel than the ereader comes in handy .
Old 09-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

About 10 years after I bought an Apple IIc in 1985 this CS grad became a certified Microsoft Solution Developer. At that point I never would have expected I'd be saying this:

PowerBook G3
iBook G3
PowerMac G4
White MacBook
Black MacBook
Unibody MacBook

iPod Classic 2G
iPod Nano
iPod Shuffle 1G
iPod Shuffle 2G
iPod Touch 1G

iPhone 1G or EDGE
iPhone 4

AppleTV
iPod boom box or whatever the brand name is

So yeah, I'm one of the five who checked off the last poll item!

Two notes. First, I actually like that boom box - it sounds MUCH better than my Bose radio. Second, I've been overweight in both my Roth and taxable account in AAPL with an average price of ~60 (in my taxable account it's probably under 40). Right now I'd have to say there are times I feel like Apple is giving me money!
Old 09-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #30

iPod Nano, Mac mini, iPad.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
The only I have nothing against Apple, it just seems there stuff is high-end and my budget is not. They don't offer a single product that I consider a necessity and can't get somewhere else for less so I don't spend my hard-earned money on any of their stuff.
One thing people don't realize is that almost all of the apple products have great resale value. I've spent thousands on pc's and was never able to sell any of them. Always gave them away.

Every apple product I've bought, I've sold for between 60% and 90% of it's value after 3 years.

I bought a lampshade imac in 2002 for $900 new, ran it for 7 years and sold it in 2009 for $600. I bought the first gen unibody macbook 2 years ago for $1k and sold it after a year for $900.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
One thing people don't realize is that almost all of the apple products have great resale value. I've spent thousands on pc's and was never able to sell any of them. Always gave them away.

Every apple product I've bought, I've sold for between 60% and 90% of it's value after 3 years.

I bought a lampshade imac in 2002 for $900 new, ran it for 7 years and sold it in 2009 for $600. I bought the first gen unibody macbook 2 years ago for $1k and sold it after a year for $900.
True. I sold my 2-year old iPhone 3G to Nextworth for $110 (I could have sold it for more money on Ebay, but I didn't want to deal with it) so my new iPhone 4 cost me only $89.

I intend to do the same in 2 years with my iPad.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
And we already have better, more feature rich mp3 players (non-apple) that we don't use a whole lot. Also, I HATE being forced to use proprietary software to get data to mp3 players. Our sandisk brand mp3 players are drag and drop just like a flash drive (actually you can use them as flash drives) without any software at all.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an iMac, iPod touch 2nd generation, and an iPad. DD has an Macbook Pro, iPhone 4 (I bought both for her :-)
Old 09-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also, I HATE being forced to use proprietary software to get data to mp3 players. Our sandisk brand mp3 players are drag and drop just like a flash drive (actually you can use them as flash drives) without any software at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
+1
I'll +1 that also.

Although, after using an iPod for a while, and then switching to a 3rd party unit, I realized that I missed all the little features that syncing with iTunes provided. iTunes always knew which podcasts I had listened to, where I left off etc. It made it easier to find & delete the ones I had listened to, and then replace with more recent ones. You don't get that with drag & drop.

Less of an issue with music I guess, but I found it useful for podcasts, which are usually listen once, replace. I think you can get 3rd party SW to do drag and drop on iPods too, but I agree, it should be a built in thing.

-ERD50
Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Bought a used eMac G4 ($45) that is used for virus free internet access.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

I've got a MacBook Pro, a Time Capsule for automatically backing up my computer, and an iPod Nano.

I've got long experience with both Windows machines and Mac, and the Mac just works way better - hardware and software.

The Time Capsule is THE best technology investment I've ever made. My MacBook pro is automatically backed up via wireless network every time I walk into the house, and hourly while I'm home. I've restored several files that I lost and did a complete restoral of my system from the Time Capsule when I upgraded my hard drive. You can do something similar with windows machines, but not with the ease of installation and ease of use of the Time Capsule.

The iPod Nano + iTunes + Apple music store work wonderfully together.

And I've gotten great free in-person service a number of times on my equipment from the staff at the local Apple store.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sure it is a decent piece of equipment, just not worth the price. And we already have better, more feature rich mp3 players (non-apple) that we don't use a whole lot. Also, I HATE being forced to use proprietary software to get data to mp3 players.
Other than the stock (bought in 91), the only Apple product I currently own is an iPod. I tend to agree with Fuego and the others who object to the cost and to being forced to use the proprietary software. In my case, however, I bought a refurbed previous generation Classic with 80GB for under $100. And I have used various iTunes-less interfaces with great success (Floola, MediaMonkey, Winamp, etc). Never once installed iTunes, although I've messed with it on DDs PC for her iPhone. I hate it, with a capital H!

But I love the iPod interface much better than any of the other mp3 players I've ever had or seen. Apple is great with UIs, they just have major control issues.

But I'm glad that everyone else is so happy with them. I put a couple thousand dollars of DDs college fund money into their stock in my brokerage account back in 91. She didn't go to college, so now I'm using the proceeds to fund her Roth for probably the next 15 years or so. It's a nice deal, especially now, since I can gift her some of the stock, and she can sell it at 0% cap gains and put it in the Roth. Goooooo, gov't tax loopholes!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #39

I have a MacBook, an iPod, and a Shuffle.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommca View Post
I've got a MacBook Pro, a Time Capsule for automatically backing up my computer, and an iPod Nano.

I've got long experience with both Windows machines and Mac, and the Mac just works way better - hardware and software.

The Time Capsule is THE best technology investment I've ever made. My MacBook pro is automatically backed up via wireless network every time I walk into the house, and hourly while I'm home. I've restored several files that I lost and did a complete restoral of my system from the Time Capsule when I upgraded my hard drive. You can do something similar with windows machines, but not with the ease of installation and ease of use of the Time Capsule.
Yeah. We've been using Time Machine since it became available, and it's great!