Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you own any Apple products?
Nope, I don't own any devices made by Apple. 48 37.80%
Yup, I have one device (Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, etc.). 18 14.17%
Yup, I have more than one Apple device. 50 39.37%
Yes siree Bob (who's Bob?), big Apple fan, got 'em all. 11 8.66%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
When I got the first generation iPod (was a gift), I thought it was nice, but I was like it wasn't THAT nice. (It could only play music and it was nicer than a Walkman but I wasn't that impressed.) When I got an iPod Nano (ruffle prize), I thought it was really nice - it was small, very light weight and I could put tons of stuff on them including movies. I watched Lost episodes on a long road trip, but when it got to the episode where Sun and Jin started speaking in Korean with subtitles, the subtles were too small to read.

The same year, I bought a mac mini (only because my SO is a mac person and he can fix any problems with mac's - He was an Apple guy even before Apple became popular) I guess it's been OK. I only use it for the internet, some DVD making and photos, so for someone like me, there is not a huge advantage in getting a mac over a PC (except for the support advantage I get from my SO.)

I don't have an iPhone because I have a blackberry from work, but I recently got an iPad and now, I know why people like their iPhones so much. I am now realizing that iPhone isn't really a phone. It has a phone capability, but it is so much more than that, so comparing an ordinary cell phone with an iPhone is like comparing apples and oranges.

I am really excited with the iPad I got. I've only had it for a few days, but with all the apps that are available (for very reasonable prices for most), it can do sooo much. I actually feel awed by what it can do. I heard someone say long time ago "Someone could like Microsoft products, but nobody LOVES them the way people LOVE Apple products." and I have to agree. I am totally sold on this iPhone/iPad thing. Me coming from the PC world, iPad is MAGICAL, and I have only discovered just a little bit of what iPad can do.

tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I own no products. But my youngest son has macs and iPods and iPhones.

I have the stock which I purchased for an ACB of $8. Does that count? Did some profit-taking at $75 a few years ago.

I believe that the Macs will benefit from all the iStuff that works so well with them. That is why I continue to hold.

For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
I have a jail-broken iPhone
DW has a refurb 2G shuffle
We also have an Airport Extreme that was given to us.

Their stuff does just work better, but I understand the misgivings that people have. The Airport Extreme is an example. It works great, never needs a reboot, has great connection speeds and I've never shared a printer as easily as I did with it. However, every single router that I've used had a web interface, which for some strange reason the AE does not! The AE uses a program (Mac or Windows only) to configure settings. Now, it's very easy to setup because of this, but I don't know why Apple didn't at least include a web interface! This means I can't configure the router with a Linux box or on a machine that doesn't have the Airport utility installed.

I think Apple's success is based on excellent, well-tested, hardware and software along with a great interface. I just wish their software wasn't as restrictive.

WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote