Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you prepare your taxes?
I/we do using a software package like Turbotax 73 71.57%
I/we do by hand (without a software package0 5 4.90%
Pay a professional to do them. 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Do you pay someone to do your taxes?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Poll:Do you pay someone to do your taxes?

I know there are a lot of DIY's here, and was wondering how many of you do your own taxes versus paying someone else to do them.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #2

i do mine.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

With just W-2 income, no. Looking ahead to managing the distribution of retirement savings, probably not, mainly because I'll have the time to figure it out...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #4

Started using a CPA firm about 12 years ago. It wasn't that much more than DIY at first. About 4 years ago the fee started rising rapidly. This year I went to a different CPA and his prices were double the previous CPA. I think I will DIY next year.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Always done my own.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Administrator

Our previous poll http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...xes-59832.html

I use Turbotax to do our taxes and Moms. DD uses our copy to do hers and I consult. I do DS's taxes (abroad) by hand.

My taxes were done by tax preparers (big 8, now big 4) for some of the years I lived overseas because I didn't have the time, there were also some complexities and I wanted the backing of tax pros. Also, for a few years I was under a corporate tax equalization program and using their tax preparer was mandatory. Otherwise I've always done the taxes and began using tax SW around the turn of the century.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Always do my own by hand - takes very little time as I use a spreadsheet to estimate/track taxes.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #8

For now a pro. We have rental properties, foreign income and are in a limited partnership. After 2016 that will all be gone and we'll be DIY.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do my own.

I have a CPA do my father's, for whom I am POA. I just want a second set of eyes on his stuff, especially since he is in another state. His stuff is not complicated. I admit, it is quite costly, but I'll probably continue down that path.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you pay someone to do your taxes?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Do you pay someone to do your taxes?

I used one of the biggest accounting firms for several years. Then I did our taxes myself for a year or two using turbotax. Now I'm using a local CPA, since I'm having a few deals that I don't feel comfortable tackling the tax issues. I should be out of these in a few years, and I'll probably go back to myself and turbotax.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

I use TaxAct... Free for Federal Return, this year 17.99 to add state tax return.
(used to be $13.99) Been doing it that way for many years.
Free, includes Fed Tax and E-filing... online support which is easy and plain talk.

The $17.99 includes as above, plus state return, and E-filing for both, plus free phone help if needed. The service also keeps your previous returns online, and when you file for this year, remembers the basic info for tax numbers of your banks, corporations etc. It also shows your last years numbers for each line, as you're filing.

After you finish, a double check list... with questions about anything you might have missed... hints for where your numbers are high or low for similar returns.

Works great for me, but I have a very simple return... The $17.99 fee is worth in, in spades!.

The Free part is really free... you can sign on, try it for comfort... and not pay a penny. Of course, YMMV.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I do my own. Years back I payed someone to do it but found myself having to proofread and correct mistakes. So, I decided to go the software route and never looked back.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I did my own from age 18-31 but the last few years have been more complicated and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything so I went to H&R Block. In a couple weeks i'll go to H&R Block again because this is the first year being a independent contractor so I have no idea how to do taxes as a self-employed person.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #14

I've done my own since high school. That said, I've paid to have them done a total of 3 times, including this year (2013 taxes). For DIY, I've done it many times by hand, and several times using TaxAct. This year, I was unsure about some aspects of dual-residency between 2 states, with wife full-time in LA & me with a 5 day a week residence in Texas & going home to wife on weekends. We have been filing jointly, but with each claiming to be a full-time residence in the respective states. I wasn't sure whether having purchased a house in Louisiana this past October would complicate things, with either Federal or State (LA). As a TX resident, I paid no state income taxes. Louisiana does have a state tax, so I was concerned LA might not agree that I was a TX resident. Also, when buying the house in Oct, we pulled $17000 from a Roth IRA. All from contributions, and I know what I BELIEVED the rules say, but I'd rather pay a pro to do the taxes than have to go through the hassle with the fed or state later on. Bottom line, I paid $256 to have taxes done & filed this time. I hated to hand over the $$, but in the end I feel better about it. Next time though, back to DIY.

BTW, as of January this year, I'm a full-time resident of Louisiana again. Was able to transfer from the TX office to the office in Shreveport. Now though, I've announced my 3 July retirement.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #15

I do it myself with Turbotax or TaxAct. Early on in the 1970's I'd have it done if there was a big change like buying a house but afterwards I'd just do it by hand once I got the drift of it.

We didn't buy a computer until 1990 and shortly after that I started using software. I'm prone to transposing digits and had to check everything three times so that kept a lot of those errors out.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
martyb...
Now though, I've announced my 3 July retirement.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #17

Kinda embarrassed to say I have them done. While working it made sense to hire a pro because I had income from several sources. Now it is just the portfolio. I paid $180. to have it done this year, but they also did my daughters for free. I guess I am afraid I will do it wrong. I have not done it myself since the 80's. Going to have to check out turbo tax - $180 could be a weekend trip for DW and I or a trip to Costco...
Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #18

I use TaxAct online to do my taxes. There is a FW topic on TA with a link to sign up for $11.99 to do both state and federal filings.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #19

Alright. You folks are just making me feel bad. I just got my statement from the CPA: $450.00

Its definitely DIY next year.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #20

We use a CPA as our taxes have a lot of stocks, charitable gifts, etc... and I loathe doing them myself....would almost rather have a root canal...
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote