Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2016, 10:21 AM   #201
Administrator

Sounds to me like really bad luck, Imoldernu! I'm glad you figured out how to be the Administrator and got that fixed.

― N. Gaiman (2002)

W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Sometimes I wonder if all of this stuff is just designed to speed my entrance to la la land.
Then you don't want to hear that you need to upgrade to UEFI from BIOS as part of the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on older machines... particularly if you have a SSD as Drive C.

HTG Explains: Learn How UEFI Will Replace Your PCís BIOS

What You Need to Know About Using UEFI Instead of the BIOS

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:29 PM   #203
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I upgraded, I bought a Chromebook.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #204
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Then you don't want to hear that you need to upgrade to UEFI from BIOS as part of the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on older machines... particularly if you have a SSD as Drive C.
I must be misunderstanding something. I updated to Windows 10 and still have the original BIOS.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I must be misunderstanding something. I updated to Windows 10 and still have the original BIOS.
Yeah, it is backwards compatible and, of course, gives the impression of hunkey dorey but I'll bet things are not running near as well (efficient?) as they were before... again, particularly if you have a SSD.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:02 PM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
So did I, and I am completely satisfied. I can even load Linux on it if I so desire.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:41 AM   #207

No problem here either.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:33 AM   #208
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

HTG Explains: Learn How UEFI Will Replace Your PCís BIOS

What You Need to Know About Using UEFI Instead of the BIOS
This is part of what determines if your system is Windows 10 compatible. It's a hardware thing. Most Windows 8 machines had the capability, some Windows 7 computers do not. But it depends on the motherboard. From that first link you shared:

Quote:
Itís not possible to put UEFI on BIOS-based motherboards, but odds are that when you buy a new system or perform an upgrade in the next few years youíll be making the switch, perhaps without even realizing it. Itís a slow switch, but it seems to be an inevitable one.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #209
gone traveling

I swapped to 10 and returned to the 8.1 immediately. Really didn't like it....and happy with my decision.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #210

(For now. Wait until how you feel after January 9, 2018, after which "you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information.")
Old 06-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
(For now. Wait until how you feel after January 9, 2018, after which "you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information.")
Based on recent history, we may be at Windows 11 by then anyway!
Old 06-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #212

Actually the operating assumption right now is that there won't be a Windows 11 or at least not what you would think of as a new operating system to upgrade to. Rather Windows 10 by its very nature is automatically updated over time component by component. So it could very well be that by that time Windows would seem like Windows 11 to somebody who has only seen Windows 10 on the first day of release, but it still leaves Windows 8 users without security updates and facing the prospect of having to pay to upgrade to Windows 10.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #213

Ha ha, the "upgradeable operating system." I will believe that when it happens. Just another marketing ploy in my book. With any luck, Microsoft will implode before January of 2018 and Windows 10.999 will be replaced by something that is an order of magnitude better.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by languagefan View Post
I swapped to 10 and returned to the 8.1 immediately. Really didn't like it....and happy with my decision.
Quote:
Info from Microsoft -

Security updates will be available from Windows Update during the Mainstream Support phase, and the Extended Support phase

End of support
End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available update or service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support Windows XP

Service Pack 3

April 14, 2009

April 8, 2014

Windows Vista

Service Pack 2

April 10, 2012 - Mainstream

April 11, 2017 - Extended

Windows 7 *

Service Pack 1

January 13, 2015 - Mainstream

January 14, 2020 - Extended

Windows 8

Windows 8.1

January 9, 2018 - Mainstream

January 10, 2023 - Extended

Windows 10, released in July 2015 **

N/A

October 13, 2020 - Mainstream

October 14, 2025 - Extended
Old 06-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

It's a bit of a death by 1,000 cuts thing. Every day I find some minor problem and I have to search for a solution.

I've gotten OneDrive to behave, mostly, but a change from Win 8.1 means that it's harder to make it simply an external drive (that is, avoid syncing).

I enjoy getting things organized ...

Every time I use "Hey, Cortana," Lena comes into the room. "What did you say?"
Old 06-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #216

Quote:
Actually the operating assumption right now is that there won't be a Windows 11 or at least not what you would think of as a new operating system to upgrade to. Rather Windows 10 by its very nature is automatically updated over time component by component. So it could very well be that by that time Windows would seem like Windows 11 to somebody who has only seen Windows 10 on the first day of release, but it still leaves Windows 8 users without security updates and facing the prospect of having to pay to upgrade to Windows 10.
Don't need no operating system when we evolve to using dumb terminals phone apps running programs using interoperable yearly subscription tools on main frames clouds.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
So did I, and I am completely satisfied. I can even load Linux on it if I so desire.
Dumb question. Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #218
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?
This website explains what you can and can't do with a Chromebook very well: Chromebook vs. Windows Laptops: The Real Story

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This website explains what you can and can't do with a Chromebook very well: Chromebook vs. Windows Laptops: The Real Story
Thanks. A good starting point. I'm not in the market for anything at the moment, so I have time to figure out whether it's a good option for me.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:12 PM   #220

I finally updated my Asus laptop to win 10 and it mostly worked OK no major issues to report - everything seemed to work. I have noticed however that the computer seems to be slowing down as more and more updates are pushed by the MS automatic update system. It's really slow after this Wednesday's magic update and now seems to take a long time to startup. I suspect they sent a buggy update this time.

I do most of my computing on an ancient Pentium Desktop with Linux Mint XFCE ( or occasionally KDE for a change of pace) which frankly is faster and loads programs and websites far faster than windows 10 on a Pentium I3 processor but such is progress... So this whole win 10 is kind of amusing when you have alternatives - Thank you Linux...