Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2016, 03:05 AM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Ha ha, the "upgradeable operating system." I will believe that when it happens.
FWIW, I don't know of any of my Microsoft friends who are chattering about Windows 11.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 AM   #222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am sticking with Windows 7, but the ones that we bought with Windows 8 - My DH upgraded (since Windows 8 was so user-unfriendly.). Windows 10 is better than Windows 8, but not by a lot.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #223
Full time employment: Posting here.

<----- If it ain't broken, ..........

I'm staying with Win7 and in January, 2020, I will buy a new computer with Win 10 or 11 built in.

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I upgraded, I bought a Chromebook.

Dumb question. Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?
The article posted in a previous post sums it up quite nicely.

I've had the Toshiba Chromebook a short while now and find I am using it more and more than the Asus laptop (and my Win 10 Desktop) I have. Not working anymore means I don't have the MS Office demands that required very long technical reports and big spreadsheets. I now use Google Docs and Google Sheets for any of those requirements that may be generated by my needs.

I also have a 64 GB flash drive on the Chromebook to store any files I download. I print to my Epson printer via the cloud and I am amazed at how well that works. If I elected to do my Taxes online with Turbo Tax, that is no issue.

If I really want to get crazy, I can load Linux on it and make it a full fledged laptop, but we already have a few of those gathering dust in the house.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I upgraded, I bought a Chromebook.

Dumb question. Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?
For moi, Quicken won't work. There is a mobile app that gives you some features, but no investment downloads. I would bet that the all new Quicken company is hard at work playing catch up. Yea, right
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I finally updated my Asus laptop to win 10 and it mostly worked OK no major issues to report - everything seemed to work. I have noticed however that the computer seems to be slowing down as more and more updates are pushed by the MS automatic update system. It's really slow after this Wednesday's magic update and now seems to take a long time to startup. I suspect they sent a buggy update this time...
Oh boy! I have 5 machines with Win 7, but have not updated any of them. Thought about "sacrificing" one at the MS altar to see what Win 10 is all about, but keep delaying (I would still make a full backup).

I guess perhaps I should not bother now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh boy! I have 5 machines with Win 7, but have not updated any of them. Thought about "sacrificing" one at the MS altar to see what Win 10 is all about, but keep delaying (I would still make a full backup).

I guess perhaps I should not bother now.
A further data point, my son came in this morning (he's a disabled veteran) and said "dad, can you please convert my computer back to Win 7?" It turns out some of the games he likes to play (something or other related to steam? I'm not a gamer) all of a sudden were crashing and freezing and generally not behaving in win 10. The conversion back to 7 was easy but it has to be done within a 30 day window. Win 7 seems to be working just fine on his computer now.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #228
Recycles dryer sheets

I converted my 5 year old Dell laptop from Win 7 to 10 6 months ago and have had no problems. I then decided I was running out of space on my disk drive and instead of buying a new laptop, I bought a new 1T hard drive for the laptop. This required a clean install of W10. This went easier and faster with W10 than my similar attempts with Windows XP or 7

After creating a "recovery" drive on a flash drive, I swapped out the old hard disk and booted from the flash drive. Because my old disk was still working, I put it into a USB adaptor and enclosure (A Nexstar TX available at Amazon for $7.20) and copied all the files I needed to the new disk after the Windows install and update. My only problem was locating the install images for the various software packages that I wanted to keep. I had them all but they were scattered between a few online sites and in my house. I found my filing system was no-where near as well organized as I thought it was. It took about two days to get everything copied, my backup system working again, and all the software packages set up. I spent about 3-4 hours in those two days mostly doing research on where configuration files are located and how to recover them for a few oddball packages. The worst to set up were Adobe Elements (photo catalog and editing) and Thunderbird (e-mail program I use to look at the e-mail I archived before I switched to Gmail.) Anything cloud based configured itself with no intervention needed from me. Another reason why I like Gmail and the Chrome browser.
Tractor guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #229
Give me a forum ...

Latest headache: My computer won't recognize my Nexus as a data device. In the past, there was an option on the Nexus that appeared when it was plugged in. No longer the case.

Spent an hour on this already. Right now, I'm trying a solution that involves installing a huge media service pack thing.

The advantages of Win 10 have not outweighed the headaches at this point.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:27 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

I did find a media player which somewhat plays Quicktime movies, so that's one hurdle I got over with Win 10. Last night was another moment of truth as I updated my GPS' Maps with Garmin's map updating software without issue. So, looks like no turning back for me with Win 10. Yet, just in case, I do have an image of my computer in Win 7 for some "I'm not totally convinced peace of mind".
Old 06-19-2016, 02:40 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Two hours on this issue, and still no joy.

Here's another example of the little difficulties you have to go through:

https://youtu.be/Lrm4XtjzFII

You can see from the comments that this complicated, bizarre fix doesn't work for many people (including me). However, this solution:

Solved File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes.. - Windows 10 Forums

Does work.

I'm almost ready to revert to Win 8.1, but I'm worried that even after I do that, the problems with my Nexus won't be solved. That is, in trying to fix the interface, I think I've screwed up my Nexus.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 back in early March, I have one nagging, chronic problem: I keep getting the following error message from time to time:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Sometimes I get a similar message about a gigabyte adapter not running properly.

I run the Troubleshooter which fixes the problem (I can't gain internet access) sometimes. Sometimes, I have to run it as an Administrator which often fixes the problem(s). Turning the modem off and on also works much of the time. When those fail, I have to reboot the system. One time, I had to run System Restore back to an earlier point to fix things. I did an online search to find a more permanent solution but most of those were too complicated or risky for me to try. Anyone else here run into this thing?
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

I'm looking forward to July 29. I'm hoping the nag will go away and I won't have to manually hide updates anymore. I hope they follow through and start charging for it. I doubt they'll be able push it so aggravatingly if it's not free anymore.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Since I upgraded to Windows 10 back in early March, I have one nagging, chronic problem: I keep getting the following error message from time to time:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"
My solution for all problems like this is it google the error message.

https://www.google.com/search?q=one+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Then you'll find that thousands of people (or more) have the same problem, and, if you're lucky, you'll find some solutions that will work.

Here's a video related to that error:

https://youtu.be/G3DpeeXLSDM
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 AM   #235
Moderator Emeritus

I'm on my Windows 10 updated Dell right now--all works okay as far as what I need it for except it will not connect to wifi, so I have it plugged into the router when I need it for finances. Which is pretty much all I use it for, so that's actually a pretty big deal.... OTOH I am loving the macbook pro that DH gave me shortly after the Windows 10 update on the Dell. The Dell came with the Windows 8 OS, so I don't think I had the option to install Windows 7, which I loved.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #236
Moderator Emeritus

Right now I am preparing psychologically for the major "Redstone" update to Windows 10 that is expected this summer. Some websites say this will be a huge update, almost like a whole new OS. Others say there won't be many changes at all. I guess there is a lot more speculating than there is knowledge about it, out there in internet land.

Microsoft has not given a date for the Redstone update, but websites seem to think it will be at the end of July to be at about the one year anniversary of Windows 10. Updates seem to happen on Tuesdays a lot, so my completely wild and unsupported guess on that is July 26th. Supposedly it will actually be two updates, not one, "R1" and "R2", but I'm not sure if that is verified.

Anyway, the changes that are made should stir up a hornet's nest among those Windows 10 users who don't like changes sprung on them by surprise like this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #237
Give me a forum ...

I hope Microsoft's Redstone update goes better than Viacom's. Who is in charge of these names, anyway?
Old 06-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Anyway, the changes that are made should stir up a hornet's nest among those Windows 10 users who don't like changes sprung on them by surprise like this.
And five years from now, once this is well-established as the way things are (especially in light of the fact that it is the way things have been for the Android OS for a while now), some people will have forgotten it ever worked any other way.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

I had a close call with Windows 10 today (Wednesday). I couldn't boot it up but had the tiny thumb drive I bought back in March to run the Windows Repair facility. But I didn't figure out right away which drive the W10 OS was on (it was on E:, not C: ) so the CHKDSK repair program didn't work. But once I figured that out, CHKDSK worked and fixed everything up and W10 booted up normally.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #240
Give me a forum ...

I crossed over to the 10 side. Everything seems in place, and ok. This is newer Dell hardware, so I didn't expect many gotchas. I'm sure something will arise, and Ill have to research it, but so far, it is fine.

Now where did I see the link for article that tells you how to protect your privacy? I turned off everything in the setup screens.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote