Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #241
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Now where did I see the link for article that tells you how to protect your privacy? I turned off everything in the setup screens.
I don't know which article you meant. Here are some that I bookmarked last summer, that talk about what you may or may not want to do in order to "tighten down" for security/privacy reasons. I don't remember which one is the best.

http://www.eweek.com/security/slideshows/how-to-lock-down-windows-10s-privacy-settings.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EWK_NL _BOE_20150814_STR2L2&dni=267920379&rni=25597499

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/stop-windows-10-telemetry-and-other-data-collecting-489571.shtml

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I upgraded a few months back, I went with a program called Windows 10 Wizard so I didn't have to tinker will all the privacy and security settings myself but instead used the wizard program.

Win10 Wizard is a Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant - gHacks Tech News

Old 06-26-2016, 02:47 PM   #243
Confused about dryer sheets

We run both MacOS and Windows 10 (via Parallels) on one of our Macbook Pro computers. Works great!
Old 06-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know which article you meant. Here are some that I bookmarked last summer, that talk about what you may or may not want to do in order to "tighten down" for security/privacy reasons. I don't remember which one is the best.
Thanks for posting. I'll read all.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #245

Win 10 How do I love thee?

"Let me count the ways"
So many weird things... Too many to count.
Works best if you have a sense of humor.

Here was the Microsoft answer to the "Application Unavailable" setting.

Dunno, for me, a good laugh, but the question was the way I got to the Q&A thread.

Solved Under Settings & Features what does an unavailable app mean? - Windows 10 Forums

Gotta believe that Kari is a frustrated comdienne.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Here's your chance for a little extra cash:

Quote:
A lot of people have complained about Microsoft's aggressive Windows 10 installation strategy. One person has actually gotten some resolution: according to The Seattle Times, Microsoft is paying $10,000 to Teri Goldstein, who runs a travel agency in California, over an automatic Windows 10 installation.
Microsoft pays woman $10,000 for forcing Windows 10 installation | The Verge
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #247
Full time employment: Posting here.

I picked other - because I bought a new computer a few weeks ago, and it has Windows 10. Seems OK so far. We were still on Vista!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #248

So, how much does Windows 10 cost after the free upgrade period?
Old 06-28-2016, 08:15 AM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
So, how much does Windows 10 cost after the free upgrade period?

Here's a general idea:

Quote:
If you want Windows 10, but are procrastinating, it’s time to act. Come July 29, upgrading won’t be free anymore, meaning Windows 10 will cost you at least $120.

That’s according to a statement sent by Microsoft to enthusiast blog WinBeta. A Microsoft rep told that site that, after July 29, users can “purchase Windows 10 through the Microsoft Store or Microsoft retail partners.”
Quote:
So, what are those suggested price? Windows 10 Home currently costs $120, while Windows 10 Pro costs $200. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, meanwhile, costs $100.
Windows 10 Isn't Free For Much Longer, Will Cost $120 | Digital Trends
Old 06-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

If they paid me $120 right now I'm not sure I would upgrade.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:48 AM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
I picked other - because I bought a new computer a few weeks ago, and it has Windows 10. Seems OK so far. We were still on Vista!
You were smart! If I hadn't had a newish PC running Windows 8, which I hated, I would have just waited to get a new computer with Windows 10, and I know I would have been perfectly happy--no one seems to have complaints about W10 when it is the original OS on a new computer, only the upgrade.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

With Win 10 update offer expiring soon, today I sacrificed the least used desktop in the home to the Windows 10 god at the Microsoft altar (but only after making my own full backup as I never trust MS uninstall process).

Soon after the installation process, it asked if I wanted to check for updates. The machine has been sitting there for 1 hour, stuck at 0% complete!

Does not look like a good beginning...
Old 07-05-2016, 08:30 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

So....

After 1-1/2 hour of seeing the screen displaying "Getting update... This may take a few minutes... 0% complete", I thought that perhaps there was a lot of download that the WiFi link was the bottleneck.

So, I canceled the operation with the intention of running a long CAT-5 cable to link this desktop to the router to speed up the operation.

Now, one hour and counting, and the screen still says "Set Up is cleaning up before it closes.... This may take a few minutes".

Should they say a few days? Or weeks? Or years?

I have been punished by MS god for blasphemy.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

It occurred to me that I could have plugged in the CAT-5 cable for the LAN, which is faster than the WiFi, with the computer still running. So, did that then disabled the WiFi to see that the wired link is taking over.

Well, no visible change so far to the screen "Set Up is cleaning up before it closes... This will take a few minutes". Well, that cleaning up operation does not use the Internet anyway. I can just ignore that screen, and use the computer as usual. That task is now permanently attached to this sacrificial lamb.

Man, no wonder MS is losing out to its competition. Its top programmers have all gone off to Google and the like.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With Win 10 update offer expiring soon, today I sacrificed the least used desktop in the home to the Windows 10 god at the Microsoft altar (but only after making my own full backup as I never trust MS uninstall process).
I use a spare HD, hook it up to the PC I want to upgrade, do a quick install of 7, then upgrade to 10. Once the PC ( mostly the motherboard) has been digitally activated you can do a clean install at a later time. You can keep on using the original setup and upgrade to 10 when you want.

When installing 7 I have seen the initial updates take hours, seemingly stuck at 0%, then all of a sudden go to 100% and start installing. Let it go overnight and see what happens, it is a common issue.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the tip. I may try that.

On the other hand, I wonder if it is worthwhile to jump through hoops to get Win 10. Nowadays, computer maintenance is not much of a hobby to me. I've got other toys like scopes, microwave signal generators, and spectrum analyzers that beckon me. I don't have that much time to spend on PCs.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Man, no wonder MS is losing out to its competition. Its top programmers have all gone off to Google and the like.
Its top programmers have all gone off to develop software that is far more gratifying - software that doesn't involve the ruthless profitability optimization and abusive customer brinkmanship of consumer operating systems. Who wants to deal with that nonsense when they can be researching machine intelligence? So consumer software trends toward the disaffected or disinterested developers, or those on a certain glidepath.

This kind of thing is inevitable with all commoditized products, but especially consumer software. I'm padding my ER at this point, holding my nose and doing the work because it pays, but I've given up all hopes of ever deriving fulfillment from my work to satisfy customer needs, because even in my B2B side of the industry customers apparently view being reasonably satisfied as weakness and therefore something to be avoided at all costs, and there is no room in the budget to consider actually resourcing work so as to be able to do good work.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #258
gone traveling

I will be fine with Windows 7
Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #259
Give me a forum ...

I heed the advice to be a bit more patient, so let the computer running with the display "Set Up is cleaning up... This takes a few minutes" overnight. Woke up to see the computer cleaned itself and has rebooted.

I recalled a thread recently where people got furious about Win 10 installing itself against their desire to keep Win 7.

Well, as I have gone this far with stringing the LAN cable and having made a full backup, I decided to continue the experiment and restarted the update. I will be more patient this time and allow more time.

By the way, I am installing off a DVD which I made from an ISO file downloaded off MS site. The idea is that if I like Win 10, I will use that DVD on 4 more desktops/laptops. This remains to be seen.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #260

I decided to upgrade today after finally realizing it won't be free much longer. We also just got 10 at work and there was little learning curve. It is taking hours; it sat at 13% done for at least 45 minutes but is now at 29% after 2 hours.