Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
So, I converted two netbooks to Win 10 yesterday. These last two upgrades went without a hitch. That brings up the total to 5 PCs: 3 desktops running Pro version, and the 2 netbooks running 32-bit Home version.

The remaining PC eligible for the update is my most used laptop where I am typing this. It has Quicken installed. Win 10 does not have a built-in DVD player, and does not seem to have anything new that I must have. I think I will leave it unmolested.

About the already converted machines, I have some unused hard drives, and may restore the old Win 7 installation to them.

By the way, they say that the reason to install Win 10, even if you are going to revert to Win 7, is that your machine will get registered on Microsoft servers to give you the option to go back to Win 10 later. However, when upgrading the last 2 PCs, I took them off the Internet to deny the "ET call home" effect, and after the installation, saw that they declared themselves "activated".

So, they used the old activation off Win 7 and did not verify with their server. This makes me wonder what keeps one from running the upgrade off a DVD even after July 29th. Well, I would also set the clock back to be sure.

Yes. I have a few legacy scientific and engineering software that still work well for me, and hate to lose them.

But, but, but, I am retired. Why can't I let these go? Well, I still do a bit of the "stuff" for myself as a hobby, and these are my tools.

One way to deal with this is to use VMware to create a clone of your Win7 instance that you can run within the VMware player under Windows 10. I did this when I upgraded my old WinXP box to Win7 years ago. Whenever I need to run those legacy programs, I just fire up VMware player and load the WinXP instance that I cloned from my old PC. Works perfectly, and you are not shackled to an older, less secure operating system. And, even better, it's totally free.

Beginner Geek: How to Create and Use Virtual Machines

However, when upgrading the last 2 PCs, I took them off the Internet to deny the "ET call home" effect, and after the installation, saw that they declared themselves "activated".

So, they used the old activation off Win 7 and did not verify with their server. This makes me wonder what keeps one from running the upgrade off a DVD even after July 29th. Well, I would also set the clock back to be sure.

I think there is a 30 day "grace period" for verifying activations of new Windows installations. So after 30 days, you may start seeing warning messages that Windows will deactivate unless you allow it to phone home to Microsoft. Not 100% sure about this, so you may want to look into it.

One way to deal with this is to use VMware to create a clone of your Win7 instance that you can run within the VMware player under Windows 10. I did this when I upgraded my old WinXP box to Win7 years ago. Whenever I need to run those legacy programs, I just fire up VMware player and load the WinXP instance that I cloned from my old PC. Works perfectly, and you are not shackled to an older, less secure operating system. And, even better, it's totally free.

Beginner Geek: How to Create and Use Virtual Machines

MS itself offered free Win XP virtual machine running under Win 7. It works well.

Now, with Win 10, they do not offer the same facility. On the Web, they talk about a Virtual Box to do the same. I may look into that.

The problem is that at this point, I no longer find it interesting to fool around with my PCs. These tasks have become a chore. I have so many PCs laying around, I should dedicate a machine to run old OS and legacy software, and leave it off the Internet to protect it from virus.

I think there is a 30 day "grace period" for verifying activations of new Windows installations. So after 30 days, you may start seeing warning messages that Windows will deactivate unless you allow it to phone home to Microsoft. Not 100% sure about this, so you may want to look into it.

I sure would like to see a credible source that explains this, I have been operating under a different assumption outlined in post # 263 (pg14). Specifically this quote, which has been interpreted to mean that the prior operating system can still be used past the 31 day rollback period while preserving the Win 10 license.

Anyone who has taken Microsoft up on its free Windows 10 upgrade offer before the expiration date has a "digital entitlement" tied to that hardware. That upgrade doesn't expire.

Last edited:
My 3-year old Dell laptop feels like a brand new computer with Windows 10. Ran Windows Pro 7 originally. Not sure why I waited so long to do this.

Win 10 does not have a built-in DVD player, ...

Windows Media Player is still very much a part of Windows. (Although, I use VLC Media Player more often.)

FWIW, Windows Media Center can be loaded onto a Windows 10 machine with no real issues -- it is no longer supported by Microsoft -- and I use it often to watch OTA TV on my Laptop(s)... especially during football season. Um, NASCAR and Olympics too. (There is a 3rd Party program to do this.)

Thanks.

I already took a quick look on the Web, but found conflicting stories about Win Media Center. And some people have problems with VLC media player. I guess as always true with Windows, one needs to try it for himself. Every PC hardware setup or software installation behaves differently, as I constantly find out with my several PCs.

I have Media Center installed on two Laptops and one Desktop machines. The only issue I have found is that the Program Guide no longer functions. That, however, is not the program's fault -- since it is a Subscription Service and MS no longer supports the program, there is no one to pay the bill. <chuckle> (I have SageTV which provides me with the Guide so it is not an issue with me but it needs to be noted.)

I have never had a problem with VLC, nor even heard of any.

I, also, use Media Monkey as my music database (I have over 15,000 song files) and, TBH, it has a pretty good media player built in.

MediaMonkey is an easy-to-use media organizer for serious collectors. It catalogs
music files (MP3s, WMAs, OGG, AAC/M4A, MPC, APE, FLAC, VQF, WAV files) and audio CDs, as well as video files (AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MKV) and helps you:
- Organise your media and help you find the files you're looking for
- Tag tracks in your library (automatically) in a variety of formats (ID3v1&v2, OGG, WMA/WMV, APE2, RIFF, MP4)
- Play audio and videos, level volume, and display funky visualizations
- Sync files with your portable devices and phones
- Share media with your other A/V devices over DLNA/UPnP
- Record CDs into OGG, MP3, and WMA files
- Convert audio and video formats
- Create playlists and music mixes quickly (manually or automatically) to suit any occasion
+ Much, much more...

Oh...today is such a great day. This is the first day in a VERY long time that I didn't have some stupid reminder that HEY!!! YOU ONLY HAVE 7 YEARS LEFT TO UPGRADE!!!! No pop-ups, nothing in the notification bar...ah, it's wonderful!

I wonder how short lived it will be, though?

Bought a new HP laptop with windows 10. So for so good except for one issue. My HP 5520 Photosmart won't print anymore. Can scan to computer, copy, eprint files, use other computers on the network, etc, etc.

Have reinstalled all drivers, tried connecting printer to computer with USB, deleting and reinstalling printer and pretty much anything else I can think of.

Any experts out there who might have an idea?

Any experts out there who might have an idea?

No, but definitely Google the problem. Maybe HP has something about it on their website.

Mainly I am posting because I want to remind people that THE ANNIVERSARY UPDATE IS SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY. This might be inconvenient for some as it is supposed to be comparatively quite large. Anyway, if possible it might be smart to arrange one's planned computer usage around that this week.

I had a problem with my HP C4795. In my case, I would scan, but had no idea where Win10 put the scan! Turned out I did not have the latest updated driver. Downloaded latest driver from the HP website (actually had to uninstall and re-install the whole package, which was a pain), and all worked fine.

I have found the HP website to be very helpful solving these kinds of problems.

You might check this link discussing problems with your printer using Win10.
HP Products - Common Solutions for Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support

Regarding the upcoming big update, people who run their PC tethered to a phone will be shocked to see their monthly data allotment used up in a day. There will be a lot of teeth gnashing and cursing.

I had a problem with my HP C4795. In my case, I would scan, but had no idea where Win10 put the scan! Turned out I did not have the latest updated driver. Downloaded latest driver from the HP website (actually had to uninstall and re-install the whole package, which was a pain), and all worked fine.

I have found the HP website to be very helpful solving these kinds of problems.

You might check this link discussing problems with your printer using Win10.
HP Products - Common Solutions for Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support

Done all of that. Uninstalled, reinstalled, new driveers, the whole works. Nothing worked. Interesting to note that so have a lot of other people based on the various web sites.

If I am not mistaken the offer of no-cost Win 10 upgrade has now expired. :)

They were trying to hit a billion devices on W10 but fell short.

So now what, they're going to charge for upgrades?

They will allow hackers to break into your Win 7 PC, then you will cry your eyes out.

Be careful your tears do not short out the keyboard and ruin it, adding insult to injury.

I have liquid tears close by if I need extra.
Another non-upgrader (n-UP) here. The good thing about the expiration of the free upgrade is now those annoying countdown upgrade notifications will end. :)

Well, the laptop that I use the most has been spared the upgrade.

Meanwhile, my wife (my guinea pig) has not complained about her PC. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom