Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #321
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay let's test it then: Please outline examples of better performance of the same process, with regard software of this sort, available from any other source under the same conditions.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #322

I upgraded three older computers to Windows 10 (it was free). I'm not impressed. I'm keeping my primary computer on Windows 7. There are compatibility problems with some applications such as MS Money Sunset Edition and Windows 10. Since I manage all my finances using MS Money and have been doing so since 1989 (earlier versions), there is no way I'm upgrading until the issues are resolved. The other issue is that Windows 10 sends too much information to Microsoft from your PC.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #323

After being unable to upgrade to WIN 10 using the normal methods (in place upgrade, media creation tool) I finally borrowed a WIN10 disk from a friend and had success with the upgrade. Only one program was found by the installation process to be incompatible and was uninstalled. My main concern was an older but still very functional solid modelling CAD program. I believe it would have opened but that the new operating system triggered an invalid license response. The company has been purchased by another and at this point my own company that the software was purchased through is defunct with the email address used for the registration no longer functional. I might still be able to get the license transferred but for now I've reverted back to WIN7 with the hope that I can upgrade sometime in the future. I certainly want to keep using the software since it was a lifetime license and replacement would probably be north of $1000.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 PM   #324
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes. I have a few legacy scientific and engineering software that still work well for me, and hate to lose them.

But, but, but, I am retired. Why can't I let these go? Well, I still do a bit of the "stuff" for myself as a hobby, and these are my tools.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes. I have a few legacy scientific and engineering software that still work well for me, and hate to lose them.

But, but, but, I am retired. Why can't I let these go? Well, I still do a bit of the "stuff" for myself as a hobby, and these are my tools.
Exactly! I want to become more proficient in such software even though at this point, it's just a hobby for me too.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #326
Give me a forum ...

So, I converted two netbooks to Win 10 yesterday. These last two upgrades went without a hitch. That brings up the total to 5 PCs: 3 desktops running Pro version, and the 2 netbooks running 32-bit Home version.

The remaining PC eligible for the update is my most used laptop where I am typing this. It has Quicken installed. Win 10 does not have a built-in DVD player, and does not seem to have anything new that I must have. I think I will leave it unmolested.

About the already converted machines, I have some unused hard drives, and may restore the old Win 7 installation to them.

By the way, they say that the reason to install Win 10, even if you are going to revert to Win 7, is that your machine will get registered on Microsoft servers to give you the option to go back to Win 10 later. However, when upgrading the last 2 PCs, I took them off the Internet to deny the "ET call home" effect, and after the installation, saw that they declared themselves "activated".

So, they used the old activation off Win 7 and did not verify with their server. This makes me wonder what keeps one from running the upgrade off a DVD even after July 29th. Well, I would also set the clock back to be sure.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #327

Quote:

One way to deal with this is to use VMware to create a clone of your Win7 instance that you can run within the VMware player under Windows 10. I did this when I upgraded my old WinXP box to Win7 years ago. Whenever I need to run those legacy programs, I just fire up VMware player and load the WinXP instance that I cloned from my old PC. Works perfectly, and you are not shackled to an older, less secure operating system. And, even better, it's totally free.

Beginner Geek: How to Create and Use Virtual Machines
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #328

Quote:
However, when upgrading the last 2 PCs, I took them off the Internet to deny the "ET call home" effect, and after the installation, saw that they declared themselves "activated".

So, they used the old activation off Win 7 and did not verify with their server. This makes me wonder what keeps one from running the upgrade off a DVD even after July 29th. Well, I would also set the clock back to be sure.
I think there is a 30 day "grace period" for verifying activations of new Windows installations. So after 30 days, you may start seeing warning messages that Windows will deactivate unless you allow it to phone home to Microsoft. Not 100% sure about this, so you may want to look into it.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
One way to deal with this is to use VMware to create a clone of your Win7 instance that you can run within the VMware player under Windows 10. I did this when I upgraded my old WinXP box to Win7 years ago. Whenever I need to run those legacy programs, I just fire up VMware player and load the WinXP instance that I cloned from my old PC. Works perfectly, and you are not shackled to an older, less secure operating system. And, even better, it's totally free.

Beginner Geek: How to Create and Use Virtual Machines
MS itself offered free Win XP virtual machine running under Win 7. It works well.

Now, with Win 10, they do not offer the same facility. On the Web, they talk about a Virtual Box to do the same. I may look into that.

The problem is that at this point, I no longer find it interesting to fool around with my PCs. These tasks have become a chore. I have so many PCs laying around, I should dedicate a machine to run old OS and legacy software, and leave it off the Internet to protect it from virus.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I think there is a 30 day "grace period" for verifying activations of new Windows installations. So after 30 days, you may start seeing warning messages that Windows will deactivate unless you allow it to phone home to Microsoft. Not 100% sure about this, so you may want to look into it.
I sure would like to see a credible source that explains this, I have been operating under a different assumption outlined in post # 263 (pg14). Specifically this quote, which has been interpreted to mean that the prior operating system can still be used past the 31 day rollback period while preserving the Win 10 license.

Quote:
Anyone who has taken Microsoft up on its free Windows 10 upgrade offer before the expiration date has a "digital entitlement" tied to that hardware. That upgrade doesn't expire.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:47 AM   #331
Dryer sheet wannabe

My 3-year old Dell laptop feels like a brand new computer with Windows 10. Ran Windows Pro 7 originally. Not sure why I waited so long to do this.
GoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Win 10 does not have a built-in DVD player, ...
Windows Media Player is still very much a part of Windows. (Although, I use VLC Media Player more often.)

FWIW, Windows Media Center can be loaded onto a Windows 10 machine with no real issues -- it is no longer supported by Microsoft -- and I use it often to watch OTA TV on my Laptop(s)... especially during football season. Um, NASCAR and Olympics too. (There is a 3rd Party program to do this.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #333
Give me a forum ...

Thanks.

I already took a quick look on the Web, but found conflicting stories about Win Media Center. And some people have problems with VLC media player. I guess as always true with Windows, one needs to try it for himself. Every PC hardware setup or software installation behaves differently, as I constantly find out with my several PCs.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #334
Give me a forum ...

I have Media Center installed on two Laptops and one Desktop machines. The only issue I have found is that the Program Guide no longer functions. That, however, is not the program's fault -- since it is a Subscription Service and MS no longer supports the program, there is no one to pay the bill. <chuckle> (I have SageTV which provides me with the Guide so it is not an issue with me but it needs to be noted.)

I have never had a problem with VLC, nor even heard of any.

I, also, use Media Monkey as my music database (I have over 15,000 song files) and, TBH, it has a pretty good media player built in.

Quote:
MediaMonkey is an easy-to-use media organizer for serious collectors. It catalogs
music files (MP3s, WMAs, OGG, AAC/M4A, MPC, APE, FLAC, VQF, WAV files) and audio CDs, as well as video files (AVI, MP4, MOV, WMV, MKV) and helps you:
- Organise your media and help you find the files you're looking for
- Tag tracks in your library (automatically) in a variety of formats (ID3v1&v2, OGG, WMA/WMV, APE2, RIFF, MP4)
- Play audio and videos, level volume, and display funky visualizations
- Sync files with your portable devices and phones
- Share media with your other A/V devices over DLNA/UPnP
- Record CDs into OGG, MP3, and WMA files
- Convert audio and video formats
- Create playlists and music mixes quickly (manually or automatically) to suit any occasion
+ Much, much more...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #335
Give me a forum ...

Oh...today is such a great day. This is the first day in a VERY long time that I didn't have some stupid reminder that HEY!!! YOU ONLY HAVE 7 YEARS LEFT TO UPGRADE!!!! No pop-ups, nothing in the notification bar...ah, it's wonderful!

I wonder how short lived it will be, though?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #336

Bought a new HP laptop with windows 10. So for so good except for one issue. My HP 5520 Photosmart won't print anymore. Can scan to computer, copy, eprint files, use other computers on the network, etc, etc.

Have reinstalled all drivers, tried connecting printer to computer with USB, deleting and reinstalling printer and pretty much anything else I can think of.

Any experts out there who might have an idea?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Any experts out there who might have an idea?
No, but definitely Google the problem. Maybe HP has something about it on their website.

Mainly I am posting because I want to remind people that THE ANNIVERSARY UPDATE IS SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY. This might be inconvenient for some as it is supposed to be comparatively quite large. Anyway, if possible it might be smart to arrange one's planned computer usage around that this week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #338

I had a problem with my HP C4795. In my case, I would scan, but had no idea where Win10 put the scan! Turned out I did not have the latest updated driver. Downloaded latest driver from the HP website (actually had to uninstall and re-install the whole package, which was a pain), and all worked fine.

I have found the HP website to be very helpful solving these kinds of problems.

You might check this link discussing problems with your printer using Win10.
HP Products - Common Solutions for Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support
Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Regarding the upcoming big update, people who run their PC tethered to a phone will be shocked to see their monthly data allotment used up in a day. There will be a lot of teeth gnashing and cursing.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I had a problem with my HP C4795. In my case, I would scan, but had no idea where Win10 put the scan! Turned out I did not have the latest updated driver. Downloaded latest driver from the HP website (actually had to uninstall and re-install the whole package, which was a pain), and all worked fine.

I have found the HP website to be very helpful solving these kinds of problems.

You might check this link discussing problems with your printer using Win10.
HP Products - Common Solutions for Windows 10 | HP® Customer Support
Done all of that. Uninstalled, reinstalled, new driveers, the whole works. Nothing worked. Interesting to note that so have a lot of other people based on the various web sites.