Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

First off, my main computer is a home built from 2011 running the most powerful AMD CPU from that time, a Phenom II X6 1100T BE, and WIN7. One of the uses is video editing which is speeded up by a such powerful multicore CPU. With that said, I have a few comments:

1. While I enjoyed XP for many years, it really shows its age these days. For example, it doesn't do a great job with modern solid state drives without a bit of tinkering. Without the security updates, it's much more risky to use - get rid of it. You can still get OEM copies of WIN7 or just go to WIN 8.1. I have that on a laptop and it's fine once you get it to start up in classic mode.

2. When I think about it, I can't recall the last time I had a blue screen of death. In fact I'm not sure I've ever had one under WIN7 so those snide comments about such may not hold water so much these days. WIN7 is a fine OS but even it is aging and so I'm looking forward to WIN 10 probably six months into the rollout.

3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play. My desktop has been easy to upgrade with hard drive space and memory and since I'm at a desk in my home with a large monitor already, having a traditional desktop instead of a mobile unit is no real disadvantage in terms of space used. Because I can upgrade easily, my 4 year old PC is still more powerful than the majority of today's computers. You can't say that for a four year old mobile "solution." A mobile "upgrade" pretty much means throwing it away and buying new and that's not cheap.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's more than that. Microsoft, despite all the bashing they've endured over the years, has been exceedingly customer-friendly incurring the high cost of maintaining compatibility and suitability of myriad versions and releases. The move to Windows 10 is an acknowledgement by Microsoft that the old way of doing things is over: Google's Android OS has made clear the path forward and Microsoft (and eventually Apple) will have to acknowledge that and adopt that model, or face extinction.

I think it'll come as a big surprise to people that we're only 31 months away from when Microsoft will end mainstream support for Windows 8.1. After that point in time, sticking with Windows 8.1 will be a pretty significant risk for consumers. That rapid product life cycle is the hallmark of Google's product model, and now will become the industry standard.

The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model... that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer... I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....

Right now she is on XP.... I am looking to get a cheap computer to replace it... have not looked at other operating systems.... maybe that is the way to go....

Old 06-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
First off, my main computer is a home built from 2011 running the most powerful AMD CPU from that time, a Phenom II X6 1100T BE, and WIN7. One of the uses is video editing which is speeded up by a such powerful multicore CPU. With that said, I have a few comments:

1. While I enjoyed XP for many years, it really shows its age these days. For example, it doesn't do a great job with modern solid state drives without a bit of tinkering. Without the security updates, it's much more risky to use - get rid of it. You can still get OEM copies of WIN7 or just go to WIN 8.1. I have that on a laptop and it's fine once you get it to start up in classic mode.

2. When I think about it, I can't recall the last time I had a blue screen of death. In fact I'm not sure I've ever had one under WIN7 so those snide comments about such may not hold water so much these days. WIN7 is a fine OS but even it is aging and so I'm looking forward to WIN 10 probably six months into the rollout.

3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play. My desktop has been easy to upgrade with hard drive space and memory and since I'm at a desk in my home with a large monitor already, having a traditional desktop instead of a mobile unit is no real disadvantage in terms of space used. Because I can upgrade easily, my 4 year old PC is still more powerful than the majority of today's computers. You can't say that for a four year old mobile "solution." A mobile "upgrade" pretty much means throwing it away and buying new and that's not cheap.

Just responding to your #2.... I have had the blue screen a few times.... not as often as before, but still happens...

The other thing that I have had using Win 7 is that it just crashes and restarts on its own... happened twice....

Both of the above could be a hardware problem.... but I do have an HP computer... but you never know what is causing the problem....
Old 06-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I have Win 7 on my laptop. Saw this thread, then yesterday got a popup notice on my laptop offering a reservation for Win 10. I accepted it. They will be downloading 3GB worth gradually, they say.

But before I do the update, I will make a complete backup of the disk image in case something screws up and I want to revert. In the past, I have lost some software and even a laser printer (lack of driver) after doing OS update.

So, I replied "Other" as my Win 10 update is non-committal.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going for it. I've been a windows user/admin for years (although skills are eroding since retirement) and I've seen all the good and all the bad. MS has lost a lot of traction and has taken a well deserved beating with respect to their reputation and latest operating systems. Many of the reviews of earlier attempts have been met with poor reviews that have been born out. But I'm going to roll the dice again due to what I think are more positives, than negatives:

PRO's:
- New management that is lean, pro active and more open to sharing code, services, and features
- Completely new browser that most early reviews like a lot (no more IE)
- Excellent syncronization between devices. OneDrive, Mail, preferences sync very well between Workstations, laptops and the Windows Phone (that has always been true).
- Excellent APP syncroniztion. Outlook to Onenote, Browser to Onenote, Contacts, appointments etc.
- Windows Phone (previously frustrating with no apps and support) is being retooled as well. They are slated to run Android apps. If they pull that off, great!
- Windows Metro apps can (should) now be easily ported from Android apps.
- Apps build for Windows will now, with minor retooling, work with windows phones (programmers love this stuff)
- Bringing back the familiar features from past systesm (Start button and a mix between Desktop and Metro)
- An overall ground swell of positive comments from a variety of Tech sources
- Great touchscreen and Pen. Nice to be able to markup a web page with a pen and send or print it.

Con's:
- Can they pull it off. If not, I really think their reputation will take a hit that will be very hard to recover from
- Office (eventually a forced subscription)
- As of today... apps, apps, apps
Old 06-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
3. As for mobile killing desktops, I'm not sure I see that happening any time soon. I'm always going to want a large screen for most of my computer work and play...
It is going to have a lot to do with what you use your computer for. If it is just about web browsing, audio and video entertainment, and personal finance applications, desktops will be wasteful. I can plug my tablet up to a 75 inch big screen. Heck, I can probably 'cast my tablet up onto that 75 inch big screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model...
That's precisely the point: That is the business model of the future, even if we don't like it.

Quote:
that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer...
However, she will have the option to pay for the Home subscription instead of the Pro subscription.

Quote:
I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....
People said the same thing about paying for electricity. Eventually, you either find a use for what you're paying for or learn to live without it.

Quote:
have not looked at other operating systems.... maybe that is the way to go....
Chrome OS is basically free at this point, but it is actually using the subscription model: You get automatic updates whether you like it or not, or you block them at your own risk. And, of course, they're heavily dependent on you having a cloud subscription.

There's always Apple: Overpay overpay overpay, but they'll make you feel like gold while they're fleecing you.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

^^ dont forget linux....
Old 06-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #68

The ultimate OS for user friendliness for users who just play online games. /sarc

Old 06-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It is going to have a lot to do with what you use your computer for. If it is just about web browsing, audio and video entertainment, and personal finance applications, desktops will be wasteful. I can plug my tablet up to a 75 inch big screen. Heck, I can probably 'cast my tablet up onto that 75 inch big screen.

That's precisely the point: That is the business model of the future, even if we don't like it.

However, she will have the option to pay for the Home subscription instead of the Pro subscription.

People said the same thing about paying for electricity. Eventually, you either find a use for what you're paying for or learn to live without it.

Chrome OS is basically free at this point, but it is actually using the subscription model: You get automatic updates whether you like it or not, or you block them at your own risk. And, of course, they're heavily dependent on you having a cloud subscription.

There's always Apple: Overpay overpay overpay, but they'll make you feel like gold while they're fleecing you.

Still.... home subscription will be a cost that is not worth it....

Your electricity comparison is bogus.... the monthly subscription will likely be fixed... no matter how much you use.... with electricity you only pay for what you use.... and guess what.... my mom actually uses electricity every day... she might use the computer twice a month....

I am not concerned with updates... I am concerned with money going out the door....
Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #70

You can control this situation - now. Pick up a replacement computer that runs Windows 7 or 8 and then just don't update to Windows 10. You lose updates that provide patches to security, but if she is not on the internet visiting different web sites, this should not be an issue.

You aren't obligated to install the newest version. The old OS will continue to run, it will not/cannot be removed from your PC with action on your part. There are plenty of people who are still using old MS operating systems with no problems at all.

-- Rita
Old 06-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

@Texas Proud....the best solution is a Chromebook. Nearly impossible to get a virus. Very cheap. Meant for surfing the web, gaming and email. Can not load stuff on it. Updates automatic, free, and behind the scenes. user can't wreck it
Old 06-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Reading posts like these makes me so glad I walked away from the Microsoft world several years ago. I just got tired of the constant updates, security issues, malware and virus issues....

Apple ain't perfect, but it's miles more user friendly than Windows, imho....
I happen to love Windows. I currently have Windows 7 and 8.1 computers. I like Windows 7 better than 8.1 but Windows 10 will be sort of a hybrid of both 7 and 8.1 for desktop and laptop users. You'll get the best of Windows 7 and 8.1 in one operating system. I get tired of people bad mouthing Microsoft all the time...Windows is by far the most used operating systems for desktops and laptops.

I would never buy an Apple computer...way too overpriced imho. And and as far as being more user friendly, I tried working on a friend's Apple computer and I found it very confusing. After working with Windows computers for years and years, Apple just didn't seem very user friendly to me.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:31 PM   #73

Quote:
The problem I have with Microsoft is that they are going to a subscription model... that means my mother would have to pay even though she barely uses her computer... I only use it to pay her bills... she mostly plays games... no way a monthly fee is worth it....
Windows 10 is not going to be pay subscription service, it's good for the life of the device ( like current versions).

Microsoft: Windows 10 will NOT be sold as a subscription - Microsoft Community

The next generation of Windows: Windows 10
Old 06-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #74

Quote:
The other thing that I have had using Win 7 is that it just crashes and restarts on its own... happened twice....
To stop the auto restart on BSOD, Press F8 during boot to get to the advanced boot menu. select the option

Disable automatic restart on system failure

This will halt at the BSOD screen so the error can seen.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:43 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Windows 10 is not going to be pay subscription service, it's good for the life of the device ( like current versions).

Microsoft: Windows 10 will NOT be sold as a subscription - Microsoft Community

The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

That is great... still need to get her a new computer as she has XP...
Old 06-07-2015, 04:26 AM   #76

Quote:
Still.... home subscription will be a cost that is not worth it....
For some it will absolutely be better to just live without. We've got so many opportunities these days to connect that spending money for a desktop operating system is no longer a requirement. It'll eventually only be people who actually find value in what it offers that is paying for it.

Quote:
Your electricity comparison is bogus.... the monthly subscription will likely be fixed... no matter how much you use.... with electricity you only pay for what you use.... and guess what.... my mom actually uses electricity every day... she might use the computer twice a month....
See the post above regarding the fact that Windows 10 won't have a monthly subscription fee.

Quote:
I am not concerned with updates... I am concerned with money going out the door....
For some people, the updates themselves are more critical, and in the case of Windows 10, they're all that matters, since there is no annual subscription fee for updates - it is just that the updates come automatically.

But no matter. Again, the point is that the industry business model is changing. It's not changing because someone is being opportunistic, but rather because the old model has been shown to be inadequate and this new model has been proven to be successful. As is the case for practically all innovations in business models, themselves, it isn't supposed to be something that consumers benefit from, but rather is something investors are supposed to benefit from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
You can control this situation - now. Pick up a replacement computer that runs Windows 7 or 8 and then just don't update to Windows 10. You lose updates that provide patches to security, but if she is not on the internet visiting different web sites, this should not be an issue.
That's a good point. If you can stick with the software and software versions you already have for everything you want a computer to do for you, and turn off the Internet connection, then remaining on Windows 7 is probably the best solution.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:14 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I just did the reservation thing for my laptop. Mainly, because I want to continue to get the most immediate attention to security patches. I have a number of Windows desktop applications I rely upon, so I'm going to continue to ride the train...

However, the laptop is a dual-boot with Ubuntu on the other partition. If in the next few years I start to see things go south (e.g., Win11 goes subscription, they don't fix the app store to be more egalitarian, etc.), I'll start migrating to Linux, app-by-app.

My tablet runs Win8.1, and I'll upgrade it too, and likely stay there unless someone else comes up with a better tablet OS that also switch-hits into a serviceable desktop mode.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #78

I just re-ran the windows 10 compatibility checker and found that the items noted when this tool first became available are no longer an issue. That means MS and HP figured out what needed to be corrected in the printer driver and HD controller.

If you got exceptions when you first ran the tool, you might want to re-run now. If you have the Windows 10 notice in your in tray, open it, click on the menu in the upper left (some call it a hamburger), and run the tool again.

Rita
Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #79

10 actually seems to run fairly well on older hardware, You don't need a crazy powerful PC to run Windows 10 - here's the proof | TechRadar

I have installed the preview version on an old dell vostro laptop and some other older desktops with P4s. If you have an old PC, install the preview version, it's eligible for the official upgrade.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

But what is the compelling reason to upgrade?

I hate software - I always have something go wrong with upgrades or patches.

What does Win10 have or offer that warrants the hassle/effort/risk of upgrading?