Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 62 22.88%
Yes - But only when forced to 63 23.25%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.64%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 27.31%
I don't do Windows 37 13.65%
Other 17 6.27%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finally upgraded to Windows 10. My Windows 7 system had been giving me some problems although I wasn't sure if it was due to hardware such as the hard drive of motherboard or W7 itself. My keyboard, a $50 Ergonomic one for my bad wrist, had been giving me problems but I was able to determine it was the keyboard, not the USB port or W7 itself.

I had to revert back to IE11 from that Edge browser I didn't like. I also had to redo the Start menu. But on the upside, W10 could handle my old legacy programs such as Word and Excel from my Office 2000 CD. For the last 4 years, since I had this new W7 system, I had been using Word 2010 and Excel 2010 Starter programs which were incompatible with W7 because Office 2000 was good only with 32-bit systems. Somehow, W10 was able to handle Office 2000 which made me happy.

Sleep mode is now working fine, as it was one the minor problems which had popped up with W7. Took a little doing to set up that power option. Thankfully, any problem I encountered I did a quick search with that Cortana aide and solved the problem.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't upgraded yet but probably will in about a month or two. Want to upgrade before the freebie offer goes away.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
But on the upside, W10 could handle my old legacy programs such as Word and Excel from my Office 2000 CD. For the last 4 years, since I had this new W7 system, I had been using Word 2010 and Excel 2010 Starter programs which were incompatible with W7 because Office 2000 was good only with 32-bit systems. Somehow, W10 was able to handle Office 2000 which made me happy.
All MS Office programs are 32-bit (x86)... even the most current ones, i.e., Office 2016 and Office 365.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #124
Administrator

I am happier and happier with W10 as time passes.

I never really had any issues with it, other than that I would rather not have to send telemetry data or anything else off to Microsoft non-consensually. It's a control thing; I'd also rather be able to tell it to update myself, rather than having Microsoft force updates. I always DO updates, but I just want to be the one making that decision, I guess, pushy woman that I am.

But, over the months that has been bothering me less. I wouldn't go back to W7 or W8.1 if you paid me $500 to do it. OK, $3000, maybe I'd think about it. Anyway I like this OS a lot, though believe me I understand if someone else doesn't! The preferred OS is such a personal thing.

F bought a new computer a month ago with W10, and he has had some internet issues of unknown cause so he is not that thrilled with it quite yet.

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I haven't upgraded yet but probably will in about a month or two. Want to upgrade before the freebie offer goes away.
+1.

I'll wait a few more months to insure most of the bugs are fixed then upgrade in June.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

I upgraded my Dell laptop about a month ago from the craptacular W8.
So far, pretty happy with it. Reminds me a lot of the beloved XP.

Really most happy that they changed the calculator program. So glad to have it back as a small window again. HATED that about W8.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:26 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

My "home studio" has peripherals that might not work with 10. Music gear makers are slow to update drivers for older, cheaper, consumer-grade stuff, so sticking with 8 for now...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #128

Hate it.

Learned file hierarchy and can't deal with the change. Three computers, 2 on Windows 7... have converted the Windows 10 to to the Win7 desktop format. Am into Chrome, and won't go to "Edge" .

IMHO, once you understand the format, the "simplification" just ain't simple.

After the original debacle that left me without any operating system (had to jump through hoops to rescue the computer), will keep what I have on the Win 7 computers.

In the interim turned to Linux, but am definitely too old to go the whole way... learning to do other than browsing.

If I'm around when support for Win 7 is cut off, will go to whatever Apple is offering at the time.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:56 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

I was actually quite happy with Windows 8.0/8.1 for the year or so that it survived. I even had Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating side-by-side for several months (until a couple computers were "approved" for upgrade). I didn't see much difference between the two... only minor stuff.

I was disappointed that Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center but thanks to some wonderful person I was able to re-install ("side-load") it on Windows 10. (I had to go through that procedure during the first 2-3 Windows 10 upgrades but MS seems to now have given up and has allowed the rogue version to remain.)

Window Gadgets was another application that needed to be "side-loaded" into Windows 10.

I have used every windows version since v2.5 and have found only one I truly disliked; Windows 95. I used it for a week before going to Windows 2000. I have a computer that still has Windows Vista installed on it (a version I was very happy with) because it handles all my Home Theater stuff and I am too lazy to reinstall everything.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hate it.

Learned file hierarchy and can't deal with the change. Three computers, 2 on Windows 7... have converted the Windows 10 to to the Win7 desktop format. Am into Chrome, and won't go to "Edge" .

IMHO, once you understand the format, the "simplification" just ain't simple.

After the original debacle that left me without any operating system (had to jump through hoops to rescue the computer), will keep what I have on the Win 7 computers.

In the interim turned to Linux, but am definitely too old to go the whole way... learning to do other than browsing.

If I'm around when support for Win 7 is cut off, will go to whatever Apple is offering at the time.
Hopefully you are using Ubuntu type of Linux, very much like windows now.
I switched to Win10 and am happy with it, but on my regular machine I use Ubuntu.

I found Apple OS less friendly to use, and pricey for everything.

So I'll stick with Ubuntu and use win10 when I absolutely need to, like using tax software.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 AM   #131

I had both mine and the DW's laptops on Win8, 8.1 and now 10. During the Win8/8.1 days, I had to install a utility to replace the function of the Start button. Since Win10 restored that, all is well. I also mostly turned off Cortana, since it kept popping up when unintended. Generally pleased. Very stable so far.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Waited a few months after the popups started asking me to upgrade. Did it over the Christmas holidays on all the computers in our house - no issues at all.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I've had Win10 since it came out and still like it, though I didn't hate Win8.1 (a big improvement over Win8.0). I've used almost every version of Windows since the beginning.

Win10 accessories are still surprisingly iffy, Mail & Calculator work sporadically, Photos doesn't seem to work at all anymore. But those are nuisances, easy to work around. I don't use Edge or Cortana, but maybe one day (I do use Siri on my iPhone some).

The Win10 UI is fine IMO, different than Win7 which seems to throw some folks...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I had both mine and the DW's laptops on Win8, 8.1 and now 10. During the Win8/8.1 days, I had to install a utility to replace the function of the Start button. Since Win10 restored that, all is well. I also mostly turned off Cortana, since it kept popping up when unintended. Generally pleased. Very stable so far.
You reminded me, that Cortana thing is something that bugged me, so I turned it off everywhere I could. I feel in the efforts of 'social networking' they have basically built a spying mechanism.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #135

Hey, if it's good enough for the DoD...

Department of Defense standardizes on Windows 10, certifies Surfaces
Old 03-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the upgrade a couple months ago after getting a message that if I didn't my Outlook emails would not be available. All my bills come to me thru email, so I didn't think I had a choice but to upgrade. Can't say that I care for Windows 10. I bought an Ipad from my granddaughter, slowly learning to use it. I figured it would be more portable for travel than my laptop.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:48 PM   #137

I have two computers with Windows 7. One is Toshiba and my model is not on the manufacturer's list of models compatible with Windows 10 upgrade. The other is Dell and Dell says it hasn't tested my model and doesn't intend to provide new drivers if there are hardware incompatibilities.

I tried to get the upgrade program (windows 10 upgrade icon in system tray) to scan my computer but even the internet suggestions for doing a manual scan haven't updated the compatibility report which says "This report isn't available right now. You can still reserve your upgrade. When it's time to start the upgrade we'll run another report to make sure your PC works with Windows 10."

Well, if they can run the report later, they can run it now. I don't want to schedule an upgrade. I just want to know what problems exist to investigate possible solutions, if any. And if I can't upgrade, quit bugging me and take that upgrade icon out of my system tray.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:27 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

Still running Win 7. Thought about upgrading to 10, but truth be told, I'm chicken: If it ain't broke ...... I assume I'll have a new computer within the four years MS offers support, so I'll upgrade then - unless I get some courage.

Rich
Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Still on the fence on going from 8.1 to 10.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:26 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Hopefully you are using Ubuntu type of Linux, very much like windows now.
I switched to Win10 and am happy with it, but on my regular machine I use Ubuntu.

I found Apple OS less friendly to use, and pricey for everything.

So I'll stick with Ubuntu and use win10 when I absolutely need to, like using tax software.
Not just for geeks, Linux user-friendly version is Windows alternative - The Denver Post