Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2016, 05:36 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Still running Win 7. Thought about upgrading to 10, but truth be told, I'm chicken: If it ain't broke ...... I assume I'll have a new computer within the four years MS offers support, so I'll upgrade then - unless I get some courage.

Rich
That's pretty much where I am on it. Windows 7 works fine, so why upgrade? I'll upgrade when I buy a new computer in 3-4 years.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Ironically, just this morning, I hear my DGF letting me know (unhappily) that Win 10 is automatically installing on her laptop. I rapidly Google on my PC, and find this happens too often; and that there will be a final 'button' to continue or decline. Fortunately, this 'button' eventually did present itself, and she declined. Win 7 is back on her laptop and all is well in the house.

Rich

Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Ironically, just this morning, I hear my DGF letting me know (unhappily) that Win 10 is automatically installing on her laptop. I rapidly Google on my PC, and find this happens too often; and that there will be a final 'button' to continue or decline. Fortunately, this 'button' eventually did present itself, and she declined. Win 7 is back on her laptop and all is well in the house.

Rich
It's disconcerting how aggressive most/all online providers are getting with subscriptions/memberships/updates - not just Microsoft, though I certainly include them.

Amazon "upgraded" me to Prime without my direction and charged me $99, though they credited me when I discovered the charge.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #144
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It's disconcerting how aggressive most/all online providers are getting with subscriptions/memberships/updates - not just Microsoft, though I certainly include them.
We consumers are mostly to blame for that trend. There's not enough money to be made selling something once and then supporting for a dozen years. We consumers react so punitively to a high upfront price that the only viable option is the subscription model.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #145

I'm upgraded from 8.1 to 10 yesterday. Not a lot of difference. I did have to do one extra reboot myself to see my hard drive. There was some message about it that popped up for a few seconds, but I thought it said only to sign out and in. It took a full reboot. Now other than a slightly different look and a few replacement apps, like the MS Edge browser (which I only use for this forum since it's still broken on Firefox for me), it works almost the same. My NetGear Genie app didn't work, but I can manage my router through a browser.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

I updated my desktop today from 7 to 10. For the most part, the upgrade was a non-event without issues.

I did use a program called Windows 10 Wizard to disable all the spying, then installed Classic Shell as I like a more familiar look of the past.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #147

Since the laptop is less than 2 years old I went with the free upgrade. Pretty much a nonevent. A couple of gyrations and both google chrome and the microsft browser work. However I probably would not install it on my older computer even if chrome will no longer support it's Vista system. After 8 years it's going to crap out anyway/
Old 03-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

I upgraded the desktop a few months back, left the laptop at Win 7 for now. That's the one DW uses most, and I'm her tech support so I'll take a while to see what's changed. I don't buy first year car models and I don't upgrade right when the new version comes out. A year to work the bugs out helps in both situations.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Just updated to Windows 10. So far, so good. Limited use has shown less quirkiness than Windows 8.1.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Updated my laptop today. Took a bit more effort than the desktop as checking for updates didn't even finish overnight (Might be from using wireless instead of network cable). In the morning, installed first from DVD created from media took, then did the updates. This approached seemed cleaner.

Overall, Win 10 seems peppier than Win 7 to me. But each time the login in screen shows up makes me feel like I'm having a near death experience . The screen is a bit depressing, IMO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg win 10 login.jpg (153.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:14 AM   #151

For the last week, my laptop has rebooted just about every day and I have to log in.

Some kind of OS updates presumably.

So annoying, having to log in.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
For the last week, my laptop has rebooted just about every day and I have to log in.

Some kind of OS updates presumably.

So annoying, having to log in.
If you are using Win 10: Open the Start Menu, type "Settings," hit Enter. Click on "Update & Security>Advanced Options>View your update history."

This will give you a list of installed updates. See if the dates line up with the reboots.

I agree, that is too many reboots. Anyway, you (and everyone else) should switch to using a Pin number instead of a Password to log in.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #153

DW's desktop was surprisingly updated a couple weeks ago. tinkered around a bit, disabled a raft of "connectivity," and installed classic shell. It runs well.

My desktop was old, so I bought a refurbished machine suitable for video editing, which already had 10 installed--and immediately did the triennial Quicken update cycle on a clean system. Cleaned up 10, including shell, and tried to put quicken back the way it was; everything is working fine. Advantage of not being a first mover!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #154

See they should accumulate several updates and do it once a week, unless they're all critical security updates.

Can't believe there are critical updates virtually every day though.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
See they should accumulate several updates and do it once a week, unless they're all critical security updates.

Are you sure they are Microsoft Updates? The update function will update other things... like Drivers and some non-MS programs.

I had MS Security/Updates on 3/11, 3/9, 3/1, 2/9, 2/3, etc. In fact, MS only does these update on the 2nd Tuesday of the month (as they have for many years) unless it is something that is urgent (rarely happens).

Again, that is too many reboots.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #156

I didn't check but Windows 8.1 didn't reboot like this.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #157

Quote:

Couple of things you might check. You can change the settings to schedule a reboot for the updates

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-window...-p-1723647582]

If on wifi you can change the setting for "metered connection" and delay updates

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered...es-1723316525]
Old 03-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Couple of things you might check. You can change the settings to schedule a reboot for the updates

If on wifi you can change the setting for "metered connection" and delay updates
And you can also, under Advanced Options, "Choose how updates are installed." I have our machines set to "Notify to schedule restart" as opposed to "Automatic (Recommended)" That way it is done on my terms (time table) rather than someone else's.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #159

Upgraded my laptop today from win 7 and the process went smoothly. Most of my apps worked well including Quicken 2014.

I'll play around with it in the next few weeks before I upgrade my Desktop which I use as my primary PC. So far so good.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #160

I didn't vote. Windows 8 has already been upgraded to Windows 10 since Windows 8 su*ked. I am keeping Windows 7 as long as I can since it works great and it is much more intuitive than Windows 10.