Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No windows here - Only Apple stuff. Used to have Windows at work and I don't miss it at all now.
What? You don't miss the Blue Screen of Death?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:25 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Microsoft took a lot of heat about Win8, mostly because it didn't behave well on folks' desktops/laptops. I've been using it on a tablet, and it works fine there. I also use the desktop on occasion, and it's nice to have the option.

I use Win7 on my laptop, and would not upgrade to Win8 there. I will probably upgrade it to Win10, I've been using the Win10 preview in a Linux VM and they seem to have worked out the big desktop issues. I just hope they don't dork up the tablet interface...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:45 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last bit of clarity to be resolved concerning windows 10 centers upon the subscription issue - do I own it for the life of my computer, or will there be some sort of fee in the future?
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
The last bit of clarity to be resolved concerning windows 10 centers upon the subscription issue - do I own it for the life of my computer, or will there be some sort of fee in the future?
From the various sources I've read (this morning), the good news is you can upgrade from Win7/8/8.1 for free with no subscription/fee for the life of the OS as long as you upgrade to Win10 within a year.

You will not pay for it. After that year is up (July 29, 2016?), nothing will happen to your Windows 10 license, the OS remains good like earlier Win versions. However, if you do not upgrade within that year, you will have to pay for an upgrade. The offer expires after a year, not the upgrade.

So those who want to stick with Win7 or some other earlier version, after July 29, 2016 you would have to buy Win10 if you want it. Eventually they will withdraw support for Win7.

On that basis, I will upgrade to Win10, though not on the first day it's available - I'll give them a few weeks to sort out obvious bugs. All accounts suggest it will be an improvement over Win8.1, and if there are any glitches I am sure MS will sort them out as quickly as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: png Win Support.png (136.6 KB, 16 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No windows here - Only Apple stuff. Used to have Windows at work and I don't miss it at all now.
No Windows here, and no Apple. I use Chrome OS almost exclusively now on my Chromebook and Chromebox, and I couldn't be happier. I am so glad I no longer have to worry about this stuff, the constant "upgrades" and updates and viruses and malware...
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Lubuntu running nicely on an old HP mini 1010NR. It is really zippy and I would happily run it on other laptops I have except for lack of printer support.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Well I'm mostly Mac but I have an HP laptop with 8.1, which just drags on.

If you have a backup of it, can you revert to 8.1 easily?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
By 2020 I will probably want/need a new laptop/computer/whatever 'the' device is then and will just get the OS that is available then.

My laptop works now the way I like it with Win7, and I always have bad luck with software in general, so I'm going to say no to that icon, and may even uninstall that patch.
+1 It ain't broke, so I'm not upgrading. I don't have that icon you folks are referring to, and I'm fine with that.

OTOH, if Win 10 fixes Chrome so I don't have to reboot every day or so then I might consider it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Generally MS will claim newer OSes have better performance than older OSes on the same hardware.

But PC manufacturers are banking on a boost to the upgrade cycle whenever a new Windows comes out.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #30

I'll stick with Win 7 for the desktop and Win 8.1 for the laptop until they won't do something I need the computer to do.

As with others, DW does not adapt well to a new OS. I'm better at it but now I'm less patient with it and just get done with what I want to get done.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'll stick with Win 7 for the desktop and Win 8.1 for the laptop until they won't do something I need the computer to do.

As with others, DW does not adapt well to a new OS. I'm better at it but now I'm less patient with it and just get done with what I want to get done.
No kidding, as an ex-engineer, the last thing I wanted to do (and still) is to come home and fight with computers....it...should...just...work...:facepalm :
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #32

I stupidly clicked without reading thoroughly. It says you can cancel your reservation at any time, but there is no information on how to do that I could find. Anyone figure out how to undo this? I'm fine with Windows 7, although we might update the Windows 8 computer, as it is pretty much unusable.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me Microsoft was making good progress and continuing to improve their OS through and including the W7 release. (except maybe VISTA) I do run W8 on one machine but I don't care for it. I'll try W10 but have low expectations. I still have XP on one PC and my two main laptop PC's are running W7.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I'll probably give it a shot on one surfing only laptop first, then roll it out to our other win7/8 machines if it proves reliable and stable.

I'd really love to get win 10 on my almost brand new desktop that came with win7. It's a gaming computer lite (lots of ram, decent CPU, powerful GPU) so I'd hate to think it'll be obsolete when win7 support stops in 2020 (or face buying a $100 upgrade at the time).

I'd love to know if folks are able to "upgrade" then not really upgrade but keep the license for later. I read you have 1 year after the upgrade becomes available to decide.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #35

Stick with Win 7, Vista on laptop. Only upgrade when I buy a new computer
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I honestly don't understand people complaining that MS is offering to give them free the new OS. If you don't want it, then fine. I personally appreciate that they are making sure you know that you can get this for free.

I have Windows 8.1 and have found it fine, although Windows 7 was fine too. I use Windows 8.1 with a shell program to have the old start menu and I virtually never leave desktop mode.

So, basically for me it pretty much functions like Windows 7 did (in my case, I bought new computers which is why I have Windows 8.1).

However, if I had Windows 7 now I would almost certainly take the free upgrade to 10 if my computer could handle it. Why? Windows 10 appears to fix the issues that did exist with Windows 8.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

There is a question whether Classic Shell will work with Win 10.

That's one reason I'm hanging on to Win 7 for the time being.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

They're giving free upgrades because the competitive landscape has changed.

Apple has been giving free OS upgrades for awhile.

Meanwhile, MS has struggled in mobile and is seeing PC sales flatten or even decline in recent years, meaning the influence of Windows and potentially Office are vulnerable.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:07 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
They're giving free upgrades because the competitive landscape has changed.

Apple has been giving free OS upgrades for awhile.

Meanwhile, MS has struggled in mobile and is seeing PC sales flatten or even decline in recent years, meaning the influence of Windows and potentially Office are vulnerable.
There is a good article (sorry, can't find it now) about why MS decided to make the OS a service in the future. Mainly, that the OS isn't where to money is anymore. Instead, people by the products for the devices and connectivity, not because of the software. In other words, trying to follow in Apple's footsteps (I guess some things never change ).
Old 06-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
There is a question whether Classic Shell will work with Win 10.

That's one reason I'm hanging on to Win 7 for the time being.
I don't think it matters if Classic Shell works with Windows 10. That is, I don't think I will need it with Windows 10 due to the changes Windows has made.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote