Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
I upgraded my Dell laptop about a month ago from the craptacular W8.
So far, pretty happy with it. Reminds me a lot of the beloved XP.

Really most happy that they changed the calculator program. So glad to have it back as a small window again. HATED that about W8.

My "home studio" has peripherals that might not work with 10. Music gear makers are slow to update drivers for older, cheaper, consumer-grade stuff, so sticking with 8 for now...

Hate it.

Learned file hierarchy and can't deal with the change. Three computers, 2 on Windows 7... have converted the Windows 10 to to the Win7 desktop format. Am into Chrome, and won't go to "Edge" .

IMHO, once you understand the format, the "simplification" just ain't simple.

After the original debacle that left me without any operating system (had to jump through hoops to rescue the computer), will keep what I have on the Win 7 computers.

In the interim turned to Linux, but am definitely too old to go the whole way... learning to do other than browsing.

If I'm around when support for Win 7 is cut off, will go to whatever Apple is offering at the time.

I was actually quite happy with Windows 8.0/8.1 for the year or so that it survived. I even had Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 operating side-by-side for several months (until a couple computers were "approved" for upgrade). I didn't see much difference between the two... only minor stuff.

I was disappointed that Windows 10 doesn't support Windows Media Center but thanks to some wonderful person I was able to re-install ("side-load") it on Windows 10. (I had to go through that procedure during the first 2-3 Windows 10 upgrades but MS seems to now have given up and has allowed the rogue version to remain.)

Window Gadgets was another application that needed to be "side-loaded" into Windows 10.

I have used every windows version since v2.5 and have found only one I truly disliked; Windows 95. I used it for a week before going to Windows 2000. I have a computer that still has Windows Vista installed on it (a version I was very happy with) because it handles all my Home Theater stuff and I am too lazy to reinstall everything.

Hate it.

Learned file hierarchy and can't deal with the change. Three computers, 2 on Windows 7... have converted the Windows 10 to to the Win7 desktop format. Am into Chrome, and won't go to "Edge" .

IMHO, once you understand the format, the "simplification" just ain't simple.

After the original debacle that left me without any operating system (had to jump through hoops to rescue the computer), will keep what I have on the Win 7 computers.

In the interim turned to Linux, but am definitely too old to go the whole way... learning to do other than browsing.

If I'm around when support for Win 7 is cut off, will go to whatever Apple is offering at the time.

Hopefully you are using Ubuntu type of Linux, very much like windows now.
I switched to Win10 and am happy with it, but on my regular machine I use Ubuntu.

I found Apple OS less friendly to use, and pricey for everything.

So I'll stick with Ubuntu and use win10 when I absolutely need to, like using tax software.

I had both mine and the DW's laptops on Win8, 8.1 and now 10. During the Win8/8.1 days, I had to install a utility to replace the function of the Start button. Since Win10 restored that, all is well. I also mostly turned off Cortana, since it kept popping up when unintended. Generally pleased. Very stable so far.

Waited a few months after the popups started asking me to upgrade. Did it over the Christmas holidays on all the computers in our house - no issues at all.

I've had Win10 since it came out and still like it, though I didn't hate Win8.1 (a big improvement over Win8.0). I've used almost every version of Windows since the beginning.

Win10 accessories are still surprisingly iffy, Mail & Calculator work sporadically, Photos doesn't seem to work at all anymore. But those are nuisances, easy to work around. I don't use Edge or Cortana, but maybe one day (I do use Siri on my iPhone some).

The Win10 UI is fine IMO, different than Win7 which seems to throw some folks... :wiseone:

Last edited:
I had both mine and the DW's laptops on Win8, 8.1 and now 10. During the Win8/8.1 days, I had to install a utility to replace the function of the Start button. Since Win10 restored that, all is well. I also mostly turned off Cortana, since it kept popping up when unintended. Generally pleased. Very stable so far.

You reminded me, that Cortana thing is something that bugged me, so I turned it off everywhere I could. I feel in the efforts of 'social networking' they have basically built a spying mechanism.

I did the upgrade a couple months ago after getting a message that if I didn't my Outlook emails would not be available. All my bills come to me thru email, so I didn't think I had a choice but to upgrade. Can't say that I care for Windows 10. I bought an Ipad from my granddaughter, slowly learning to use it. I figured it would be more portable for travel than my laptop.

I have two computers with Windows 7. One is Toshiba and my model is not on the manufacturer's list of models compatible with Windows 10 upgrade. The other is Dell and Dell says it hasn't tested my model and doesn't intend to provide new drivers if there are hardware incompatibilities.

I tried to get the upgrade program (windows 10 upgrade icon in system tray) to scan my computer but even the internet suggestions for doing a manual scan haven't updated the compatibility report which says "This report isn't available right now. You can still reserve your upgrade. When it's time to start the upgrade we'll run another report to make sure your PC works with Windows 10."

Well, if they can run the report later, they can run it now. I don't want to schedule an upgrade. I just want to know what problems exist to investigate possible solutions, if any. And if I can't upgrade, quit bugging me and take that upgrade icon out of my system tray.

Still running Win 7. Thought about upgrading to 10, but truth be told, I'm chicken: If it ain't broke ...... I assume I'll have a new computer within the four years MS offers support, so I'll upgrade then - unless I get some courage.

Rich

Still running Win 7. Thought about upgrading to 10, but truth be told, I'm chicken: If it ain't broke ...... I assume I'll have a new computer within the four years MS offers support, so I'll upgrade then - unless I get some courage.

Rich

That's pretty much where I am on it. Windows 7 works fine, so why upgrade? I'll upgrade when I buy a new computer in 3-4 years.

Ironically, just this morning, I hear my DGF letting me know (unhappily) that Win 10 is automatically installing on her laptop. I rapidly Google on my PC, and find this happens too often; and that there will be a final 'button' to continue or decline. Fortunately, this 'button' eventually did present itself, and she declined. Win 7 is back on her laptop and all is well in the house.

Rich

Ironically, just this morning, I hear my DGF letting me know (unhappily) that Win 10 is automatically installing on her laptop. I rapidly Google on my PC, and find this happens too often; and that there will be a final 'button' to continue or decline. Fortunately, this 'button' eventually did present itself, and she declined. Win 7 is back on her laptop and all is well in the house.

Rich
It's disconcerting how aggressive most/all online providers are getting with subscriptions/memberships/updates - not just Microsoft, though I certainly include them.

Amazon "upgraded" me to Prime without my direction and charged me $99, though they credited me when I discovered the charge.

It's disconcerting how aggressive most/all online providers are getting with subscriptions/memberships/updates - not just Microsoft, though I certainly include them.
We consumers are mostly to blame for that trend. There's not enough money to be made selling something once and then supporting for a dozen years. We consumers react so punitively to a high upfront price that the only viable option is the subscription model.

I'm upgraded from 8.1 to 10 yesterday. Not a lot of difference. I did have to do one extra reboot myself to see my hard drive. There was some message about it that popped up for a few seconds, but I thought it said only to sign out and in. It took a full reboot. Now other than a slightly different look and a few replacement apps, like the MS Edge browser (which I only use for this forum since it's still broken on Firefox for me), it works almost the same. My NetGear Genie app didn't work, but I can manage my router through a browser.

I updated my desktop today from 7 to 10. For the most part, the upgrade was a non-event without issues.

I did use a program called Windows 10 Wizard to disable all the spying, then installed Classic Shell as I like a more familiar look of the past.

Since the laptop is less than 2 years old I went with the free upgrade. Pretty much a nonevent. A couple of gyrations and both google chrome and the microsft browser work. However I probably would not install it on my older computer even if chrome will no longer support it's Vista system. After 8 years it's going to crap out anyway/

I upgraded the desktop a few months back, left the laptop at Win 7 for now. That's the one DW uses most, and I'm her tech support so I'll take a while to see what's changed. I don't buy first year car models and I don't upgrade right when the new version comes out. A year to work the bugs out helps in both situations.

Just updated to Windows 10. So far, so good. Limited use has shown less quirkiness than Windows 8.1.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Updated my laptop today. Took a bit more effort than the desktop as checking for updates didn't even finish overnight (Might be from using wireless instead of network cable). In the morning, installed first from DVD created from media took, then did the updates. This approached seemed cleaner.

Overall, Win 10 seems peppier than Win 7 to me. But each time the login in screen shows up makes me feel like I'm having a near death experience :(. The screen is a bit depressing, IMO.

Attachments

• win 10 login.jpg
    win 10 login.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom