Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
For the last week, my laptop has rebooted just about every day and I have to log in.

Some kind of OS updates presumably.

So annoying, having to log in.

For the last week, my laptop has rebooted just about every day and I have to log in.

Some kind of OS updates presumably.

So annoying, having to log in.

If you are using Win 10: Open the Start Menu, type "Settings," hit Enter. Click on "Update & Security>Advanced Options>View your update history."

This will give you a list of installed updates. See if the dates line up with the reboots.

I agree, that is too many reboots. Anyway, you (and everyone else) should switch to using a Pin number instead of a Password to log in.

DW's desktop was surprisingly updated a couple weeks ago. tinkered around a bit, disabled a raft of "connectivity," and installed classic shell. It runs well.

My desktop was old, so I bought a refurbished machine suitable for video editing, which already had 10 installed--and immediately did the triennial Quicken update cycle on a clean system. Cleaned up 10, including shell, and tried to put quicken back the way it was; everything is working fine. Advantage of not being a first mover!

See they should accumulate several updates and do it once a week, unless they're all critical security updates.

Can't believe there are critical updates virtually every day though.

See they should accumulate several updates and do it once a week, unless they're all critical security updates.

Are you sure they are Microsoft Updates? The update function will update other things... like Drivers and some non-MS programs.

I had MS Security/Updates on 3/11, 3/9, 3/1, 2/9, 2/3, etc. In fact, MS only does these update on the 2nd Tuesday of the month (as they have for many years) unless it is something that is urgent (rarely happens).

Again, that is too many reboots.

I didn't check but Windows 8.1 didn't reboot like this.

Couple of things you might check. You can change the settings to schedule a reboot for the updates

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-your-p-1723647582]

If on wifi you can change the setting for "metered connection" and delay updates

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525]

Last edited:
Couple of things you might check. You can change the settings to schedule a reboot for the updates

If on wifi you can change the setting for "metered connection" and delay updates

And you can also, under Advanced Options, "Choose how updates are installed." I have our machines set to "Notify to schedule restart" as opposed to "Automatic (Recommended)" That way it is done on my terms (time table) rather than someone else's.

Upgraded my laptop today from win 7 and the process went smoothly. Most of my apps worked well including Quicken 2014.

I'll play around with it in the next few weeks before I upgrade my Desktop which I use as my primary PC. So far so good.

I didn't vote. Windows 8 has already been upgraded to Windows 10 since Windows 8 su*ked. I am keeping Windows 7 as long as I can since it works great and it is much more intuitive than Windows 10.

That's precisely what they do... it's referred to as Update Tuesday.

There weren't (otherwise I would have rebooted more than once last week), however I could believe that there were. It's a hard and cruel world out there. Regardless, since there weren't, something else is going on with your computer, something other than critical security updates or other Microsoft updates.

Question, Ms G and I share folders I am using W7 she uses Vista any known problems?

Question, Ms G and I share folders I am using W7 she uses Vista any known problems?

Are you sharing these folders via an external Hard Drive?

Anyway, the only problem I would expect would be how current the software program is. For instance, if you have a different version of MS Word on each machine, a file created by the newer version may or may not be read by the older version.

In any event, I have a Vista machine sharing a network with five Windows 10 machine and other than the above situation, I have had no problems.

My desktop was old, so I bought a refurbished machine suitable for video editing, which already had 10 installed--and immediately did the triennial Quicken update cycle on a clean system. Cleaned up 10, including shell, and tried to put quicken back the way it was; everything is working fine. Advantage of not being a first mover!

Well.... So much for that. After 5 days, prompted to install Dell BIOS update. Oopsie. After that, couldn't load windows (despite trying "reset PC," startup repair, and factory default reinstall....).

After 7 hours of working on the new computer, decided it was time to take advantage of NewEggs' return policy. If this weren't a family friendly site, I'd express my true feelings. :angel:

Well.... So much for that. After 5 days, prompted to install Dell BIOS update. Oopsie. After that, couldn't load windows (despite trying "reset PC," startup repair, and factory default reinstall....).

I hate doing BIOS updates. The first couple times I did it with the "Help Desk" walking me through it. Since then I:

1. Won't do it unless there is some absolute need to... like the machine is not functioning in a completely unacceptable manner -- otherwise, I ignore minor irritations.

2. Won't do it without first doing a sector-by-sector backup. Or better yet make a clone of the main HDD.

3. Go to #1.

In fact, I don't even really like changing the settings in the BIOS. I do it but hold my breath through the process every time.

I hate doing BIOS updates. The first couple times I did it with the "Help Desk" walking me through it. Since then I:

1. Won't do it unless there is some absolute need to... like the machine is not functioning in a completely unacceptable manner -- otherwise, I ignore minor irritations.

2. Won't do it without first doing a sector-by-sector backup. Or better yet make a clone of the main HDD.

3. Go to #1.

In fact, I don't even really like changing the settings in the BIOS. I do it but hold my breath through the process every time.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to mess with it usually, but this one looked important and it was a refurbished machine that I intended to keep for a while.... When NewEgg sends me my replacement, I'll do the BIOS first (and carefully with step by step from Dell's FAQ).

Live and learn. At least my old PC was still functional (albeit not great) and plugged right back in.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to mess with it usually, but this one looked important and it was a refurbished machine that I intended to keep for a while.... When NewEgg sends me my replacement, I'll do the BIOS first (and carefully with step by step from Dell's FAQ).

Live and learn. At least my old PC was still functional (albeit not great) and plugged right back in.

Last time I did a BIOS flash was when a power supply fried a motherboard and I got a replacement board that didn't have the current BIOS. Flashing wasn't that bad though as that was done by a program instead of good old DOS.

It seems Windows releases are about a 50-50 mix. Every other version (roughly) is a real stinker. My Windows 7 machine worked like a champ, my wife's Windows 8 laptop was, well, it was Windows 8. My school laptop was forced to go to Windows 10 from 7, and it was fine. I upgrade my home machine to 10, and my wife's machine to 10. Life is good.

My expectations for the next Windows release is that it will be junk, so we might as well get used to W10.

Conceptually, there won't be a next Windows release. With Windows 10, Microsoft has switched to the now-industry-standard approach of regular improvements and updates. They may someday plan to release something called Windows 11, but it'll be marketing/packaging. It'll be quite likely that Windows 11 will simply be that day's build of Windows 10.

It seems Windows releases are about a 50-50 mix. Every other version (roughly) is a real stinker. My Windows 7 machine worked like a champ, my wife's Windows 8 laptop was, well, it was Windows 8. My school laptop was forced to go to Windows 10 from 7, and it was fine. I upgrade my home machine to 10, and my wife's machine to 10. Life is good.

My expectations for the next Windows release is that it will be junk, so we might as well get used to W10.

I remember that even when Windows XP came out, some people were complaining bitterly about it and said they'd never switch. Now some of the same people are vowing to never ditch XP, despite the fact that the time came for that long ago and it is probably a security disaster waiting to happen. I think that it is normal to balk at change when something is working perfectly well already, and that is part of why people get upset at new operating systems. The sad part is that with W10, there will be no choice for those resisting change because my understanding is that Microsoft will just update W10 to transition to new operating systems.

The only reason I get such a kick out of new operating systems is that to me they are interesting and I love to explore them. Most people don't feel that way at all. I even liked Windows Me, Vista, and 8.0 so I don't think my outlook is exactly normal. :D

There are plenty of other areas of life in which I rabidly resist change, but this is not one of them.

The only reason I get such a kick out of new operating systems is that to me they are interesting and I love to explore them. Most people don't feel that way at all. I even liked Windows Me, Vista, and 8.0 so I don't think my outlook is exactly normal.

Then we are both "abnormal." The only Windows version that I can say I didn't like was Windows 95 -- I could only stand it for a week before I went to Windows 2000. And I have used every version since v3.0.

Interesting tip:

How To Delete Your Facebook Password Stored By Windows 10

Windows 10 does it differently, very differently. It might surprise you to learn that even if you aren’t signed into the Facebook app, and Edge hasn’t stored your login credentials, Windows 10 might still have your username and password stored. When you sign into an app, such as Deezer, via your Facebook account, Windows 10 will auto-fill both the username and password fields for you if does indeed have it stored. Here’s how you can permanently remove it from your system and a look at where it came from.
More importantly, this procedure is how you can browse and control all of the saved passwords on your Windows 10 machine.

If nothing else, it points out another distinct advantage of Windows 10 over earlier versions.

I'll upgrade when the free offer is about to expire next year.

I upgraded yesterday, and things went pretty smoothly.

The main problem was that when I finally clicked to say that I wanted to upgrade, nothing happened. Got a message saying it was reserved or whatever. I had to Google things and find a way to say "No, I mean upgrade RIGHT NOW. DO IT!"

I've had to deal with about ten annoyances, things like scroll wheel not always working, gray title bars, quick access folder not right, etc. IO fixed each of those by Googling for other people who've had and solved the same problems.

Some things I've had to give up on. For example, I can't specify the exact color of the Start menu and I can't get rid of the white text on black in the jump lists.

pWX6NBq.png

There are a few new features that I like, such as the Virtual Desktop:

wuYbPDG.jpg

I upgraded last Saturday. Zero problems, everything works.

IMO the new start screen with all the tiles is a mess, but it can be rearranged to suit your own taste.

Back
Top Bottom