Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never felt myself so important as to worry about how my usage data may help Microsoft constrain my actions or, really, impose anything of consequence on me.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCat View Post
No, thank you. Either sell me the operating system and get out of my way or I will use a free open source operating system like Linux that doesn't spy on me like I am living in "1984".
I'll bet a LOT of people are switching to Linux. Somebody's making a bunch of money from that. Hmm!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #183

Moves toward Android and iOS are far more interesting trends than Linux, which is really quite marginal by comparison, just about 1 1/2% I believe.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #184
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'll bet a LOT of people are switching to Linux. Somebody's making a bunch of money from that. Hmm!
Linux is open source. Nobody is making money from anything with it. There just isn't a lot of programming for it, other than what is produced for Android.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
MoneyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #185

And folks are making money from that. And folks are tracking usage on it too. . . . . .
Old 06-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #186
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh, boo bUU.

Yes and yes, but they are not drinking my blood.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-14-2016, 03:01 AM   #187

Just sayin' - there's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've never felt myself so important as to worry about how my usage data may help Microsoft constrain my actions or, really, impose anything of consequence on me.
Me either or so I thought. Tracfone recently sent us new dumb phones to switch us to 3g since GSM 2g will soon be history (or at least that's the story). After receiving and implementing the first LG 441g phone, we started receiving about 10 spam calls per day on a number that had only received a few a week. Also, the new phones had no way to block calls. The calls aren't answered and have phone number spoofs galore to make them look local. I can't understand why a new phone with the same number as the old one makes me interesting when I shouldn't be or makes me more interesting with a 3g phone. So I don't think you need to be interesting for a computer program to become interested in you; you just have to be available and in someone's database. Maybe Tracfone gets a discount for letting a foreign contractor sell information in the database. (or maybe not; I will never know) All I know that, barring a change in vendors, I'm a done deal with this spam source and a very interesting person to it's computers.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #189

Good luck.

Incidentally, AT&T is indeed dismantling their 2G infrastructure.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #190
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Me either or so I thought. Tracfone recently sent us new dumb phones to switch us to 3g since GSM 2g will soon be history (or at least that's the story). After receiving and implementing the first LG 441g phone, we started receiving about 10 spam calls per day on a number that had only received a few a week. Also, the new phones had no way to block calls. The calls aren't answered and have phone number spoofs galore to make them look local. I can't understand why a new phone with the same number as the old one makes me interesting when I shouldn't be or makes me more interesting with a 3g phone. So I don't think you need to be interesting for a computer program to become interested in you; you just have to be available and in someone's database. Maybe Tracfone gets a discount for letting a foreign contractor sell information in the database. (or maybe not; I will never know) All I know that, barring a change in vendors, I'm a done deal with this spam source and a very interesting person to it's computers.
If your phones are on the android OS, download Mr. Number from Google Play and install it. It's a great, free, spam call blocker.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If your phones are on the android OS, download Mr. Number from Google Play and install it. It's a great, free, spam call blocker.
The phones they sent aren't smartphones. So, no android apps. Thanks for the info anyway.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Now I'm spending a hour or two figuring out why the computer won't sleep. I eventually solved this with Windows 8.1, but now I'm going through it again. I have to interpret messages like these:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Driver Instance HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E0&SUBSYS_103C1965& REV_1003\4&175db881&0&0001 Requesting Driver Device High Definition Audio Device

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Also, the OneDrive system that I used for backup no longer works.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:57 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Now I'm spending a hour or two figuring out why the computer won't sleep. I eventually solved this with Windows 8.1, but now I'm going through it again. I have to interpret messages like these:

System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The device or driver has made a request to prevent the system from automatically entering sleep.
Requesting Driver Instance HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_76E0&SUBSYS_103C1965& REV_1003\4&175db881&0&0001 Requesting Driver Device High Definition Audio Device

Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

Also, the OneDrive system that I used for backup no longer works.
Al, I'm sure all of the above issues can be solved with a quick call to Microsoft.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

DW's Dell laptop just finished upgrading to Windoze10. Just had to tun off all the "phone home crap" and shut up the voice assistant.

All her files and settings remained as before. Whew, easy home tech support job. Somewhere along the way will disable the one drive thing.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Just sayin' - there's no such thing as a free lunch.
yes there is.

At work years ago we would find free food outside the conference rooms

For a few years now I've been running linux on a computer I built, since I wanted to pay $0 for the OS. (with the GUI, it is practically as easy as Windows).

Just today I upgraded both Win8 phones to Win10 for free, (but one has some issue with People app not working). However considering the Lumina phones cost me $29 ea. I feel happy.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
yes there is.

At work years ago we would find free food outside the conference rooms
That's terrific! I just worked in the wrong place, that's for sure. Also I know a woman whose workplace provided free gym facilities right there at work, and let people use it throughout the day and during lunch.

If my workplace had provided free exercise facilities to use during the workday, and free lunches, I'd probably still be working. On second thought, maybe it's a good thing we didn't have those perks.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:57 PM   #197

got a new computer yesterday. Has windows 10. Old one had 7. So far so good. Like it a lot better than windows 8 that my GF has.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:38 PM   #198
Give me a forum ...

I've upgraded to Win 10 for a few months and overall I prefer Win 10 (well, with Classic Shell as I'm in no mood to mess around with THAT interface). But there are a couple of issues. First, I have a Quicktime video that I want to keep, but heard to uninstall Quicktime as that is no longer supported and is a security risk. Second, over the past week had the system go BSOD on me saying something about a Pool Header Error which searching has something to with, I believe, not having a current driver.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #199
Gone but not forgotten

Didn't want to start another thread, but for anyone who isn't really "up" on operating systems....

So here's what happened... When I used to double click on an icon on my desk top (windows 7)... the program would open. Not so in windows 10... sometimes yes, more often not. To open the program, I would have to right click on the icon, and then click on the dropdown menu "Open".

As I looked for a solution, I found out that even if you are signed on as an Administrator... you are not really "THE ADMINISTRATOR", but that there is a hidden account on Windows 10 for the "REAL" administrator.

When I jumped through the DOS hoops to get to be the "REAL" administrator, the system did an additional update and I was able to use the double click to open programs from the desktop.

If you're courageous, you can try this fix....
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Apparently there are a number of additional things that the "REAL" administrator is able to do, but I haven't explored this.

And... as far as disabling the "one drive" thingy... good luck. Suggest you print out ALL of the instructions, and then meticulously check every DOS command that you input, or you may be in for a long session. My short time on this earth is too precious to fool with that kind of nonsense.

Sometimes I wonder if all of this stuff is just designed to speed my entrance to la la land.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:13 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Sometimes I wonder if all of this stuff is just designed to speed my entrance to la la land.
Well, not exactly although it surely might be a consequence. I think it is designed to make sure you spend the time between now and la la land doing something you never planned to spend your precious retirement doing.