Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
Sounds to me like really bad luck, Imoldernu! I'm glad you figured out how to be the Administrator and got that fixed. :)

Last edited:
Then you don't want to hear that you need to upgrade to UEFI from BIOS as part of the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on older machines... particularly if you have a SSD as Drive C.

I must be misunderstanding something. I updated to Windows 10 and still have the original BIOS.

I must be misunderstanding something. I updated to Windows 10 and still have the original BIOS.

Yeah, it is backwards compatible and, of course, gives the impression of hunkey dorey but I'll bet things are not running near as well (efficient?) as they were before... again, particularly if you have a SSD.

Then you don't want to hear that you need to upgrade to UEFI from BIOS as part of the "upgrade" to Windows 10 on older machines... particularly if you have a SSD as Drive C.

HTG Explains: Learn How UEFI Will Replace Your PC’s BIOS

What You Need to Know About Using UEFI Instead of the BIOS

This is part of what determines if your system is Windows 10 compatible. It's a hardware thing. Most Windows 8 machines had the capability, some Windows 7 computers do not. But it depends on the motherboard. From that first link you shared:

It’s not possible to put UEFI on BIOS-based motherboards, but odds are that when you buy a new system or perform an upgrade in the next few years you’ll be making the switch, perhaps without even realizing it. It’s a slow switch, but it seems to be an inevitable one.

(For now. Wait until how you feel after January 9, 2018, after which "you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information.")

(For now. Wait until how you feel after January 9, 2018, after which "you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information.")

Based on recent history, we may be at Windows 11 by then anyway!

Actually the operating assumption right now is that there won't be a Windows 11 or at least not what you would think of as a new operating system to upgrade to. Rather Windows 10 by its very nature is automatically updated over time component by component. So it could very well be that by that time Windows would seem like Windows 11 to somebody who has only seen Windows 10 on the first day of release, but it still leaves Windows 8 users without security updates and facing the prospect of having to pay to upgrade to Windows 10.

Ha ha, the "upgradeable operating system." I will believe that when it happens. Just another marketing ploy in my book. With any luck, Microsoft will implode before January of 2018 and Windows 10.999 will be replaced by something that is an order of magnitude better.

I swapped to 10 and returned to the 8.1 immediately. Really didn't like it....and happy with my decision.

Info from Microsoft -

Security updates will be available from Windows Update during the Mainstream Support phase, and the Extended Support phase

End of support
End of support refers to the date when Microsoft no longer provides automatic fixes, updates, or online technical assistance. This is the time to make sure you have the latest available update or service pack installed. Without Microsoft support, you will no longer receive security updates that can help protect your PC from harmful viruses, spyware, and other malicious software that can steal your personal information. For more information go to Microsoft Support Lifecycle.
Client operating systems Latest update or service pack End of mainstream support End of extended support Windows XP

Service Pack 3

April 14, 2009

April 8, 2014

Windows Vista

Service Pack 2

April 10, 2012 - Mainstream

April 11, 2017 - Extended

Windows 7 *

Service Pack 1

January 13, 2015 - Mainstream

January 14, 2020 - Extended

Windows 8

Windows 8.1

January 9, 2018 - Mainstream

January 10, 2023 - Extended

Windows 10, released in July 2015 **

N/A

October 13, 2020 - Mainstream

October 14, 2025 - Extended

Last edited:
It's a bit of a death by 1,000 cuts thing. Every day I find some minor problem and I have to search for a solution.

I've gotten OneDrive to behave, mostly, but a change from Win 8.1 means that it's harder to make it simply an external drive (that is, avoid syncing).

I enjoy getting things organized ...

YgGHliV.jpg

Every time I use "Hey, Cortana," Lena comes into the room. "What did you say?"

Actually the operating assumption right now is that there won't be a Windows 11 or at least not what you would think of as a new operating system to upgrade to. Rather Windows 10 by its very nature is automatically updated over time component by component. So it could very well be that by that time Windows would seem like Windows 11 to somebody who has only seen Windows 10 on the first day of release, but it still leaves Windows 8 users without security updates and facing the prospect of having to pay to upgrade to Windows 10.

Don't need no operating system when we evolve to using [-]dumb terminals[/-] phone apps [-]running programs[/-] using interoperable yearly subscription tools on [-]main frames[/-] clouds.

I upgraded, I bought a Chromebook.

So did I, and I am completely satisfied. I can even load Linux on it if I so desire.

Dumb question. Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?

I finally updated my Asus laptop to win 10 and it mostly worked OK no major issues to report - everything seemed to work. I have noticed however that the computer seems to be slowing down as more and more updates are pushed by the MS automatic update system. It's really slow after this Wednesday's magic update and now seems to take a long time to startup. I suspect they sent a buggy update this time.

I do most of my computing on an ancient Pentium Desktop with Linux Mint XFCE ( or occasionally KDE for a change of pace) which frankly is faster and loads programs and websites far faster than windows 10 on a Pentium I3 processor but such is progress... So this whole win 10 is kind of amusing when you have alternatives - Thank you Linux...

I am sticking with Windows 7, but the ones that we bought with Windows 8 - My DH upgraded (since Windows 8 was so user-unfriendly.). Windows 10 is better than Windows 8, but not by a lot.

<----- If it ain't broken, ..........

I'm staying with Win7 and in January, 2020, I will buy a new computer with Win 10 or 11 built in.

Rich

Dumb question. Any limitations using a Chromebook? Can you use it to prepare your income taxes for example? In other words.... can you do everything on a CB that you can with a Windows machine?

The article posted in a previous post sums it up quite nicely.

I've had the Toshiba Chromebook a short while now and find I am using it more and more than the Asus laptop (and my Win 10 Desktop) I have. Not working anymore means I don't have the MS Office demands that required very long technical reports and big spreadsheets. I now use Google Docs and Google Sheets for any of those requirements that may be generated by my needs.

I also have a 64 GB flash drive on the Chromebook to store any files I download. I print to my Epson printer via the cloud and I am amazed at how well that works. If I elected to do my Taxes online with Turbo Tax, that is no issue.

If I really want to get crazy, I can load Linux on it and make it a full fledged laptop, but we already have a few of those gathering dust in the house.

Last edited:

For moi, Quicken won't work. There is a mobile app that gives you some features, but no investment downloads. I would bet that the all new Quicken company is hard at work playing catch up. Yea, right

Back
Top Bottom