Poll: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?

• Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest"

Votes: 63 23.0%
  • Yes - But only when forced to

Votes: 64 23.4%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior

Votes: 74 27.0%
  • I don't do Windows

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters
I finally updated my Asus laptop to win 10 and it mostly worked OK no major issues to report - everything seemed to work. I have noticed however that the computer seems to be slowing down as more and more updates are pushed by the MS automatic update system. It's really slow after this Wednesday's magic update and now seems to take a long time to startup. I suspect they sent a buggy update this time...

Oh boy! I have 5 machines with Win 7, but have not updated any of them. Thought about "sacrificing" one at the MS altar to see what Win 10 is all about, but keep delaying (I would still make a full backup).

I guess perhaps I should not bother now.

Oh boy! I have 5 machines with Win 7, but have not updated any of them. Thought about "sacrificing" one at the MS altar to see what Win 10 is all about, but keep delaying (I would still make a full backup).

I guess perhaps I should not bother now.
A further data point, my son came in this morning (he's a disabled veteran) and said "dad, can you please convert my computer back to Win 7?" It turns out some of the games he likes to play (something or other related to steam? I'm not a gamer) all of a sudden were crashing and freezing and generally not behaving in win 10. The conversion back to 7 was easy but it has to be done within a 30 day window. Win 7 seems to be working just fine on his computer now.

I converted my 5 year old Dell laptop from Win 7 to 10 6 months ago and have had no problems. I then decided I was running out of space on my disk drive and instead of buying a new laptop, I bought a new 1T hard drive for the laptop. This required a clean install of W10. This went easier and faster with W10 than my similar attempts with Windows XP or 7

After creating a "recovery" drive on a flash drive, I swapped out the old hard disk and booted from the flash drive. Because my old disk was still working, I put it into a USB adaptor and enclosure (A Nexstar TX available at Amazon for $7.20) and copied all the files I needed to the new disk after the Windows install and update. My only problem was locating the install images for the various software packages that I wanted to keep. I had them all but they were scattered between a few online sites and in my house. I found my filing system was no-where near as well organized as I thought it was. It took about two days to get everything copied, my backup system working again, and all the software packages set up. I spent about 3-4 hours in those two days mostly doing research on where configuration files are located and how to recover them for a few oddball packages. The worst to set up were Adobe Elements (photo catalog and editing) and Thunderbird (e-mail program I use to look at the e-mail I archived before I switched to Gmail.) Anything cloud based configured itself with no intervention needed from me. Another reason why I like Gmail and the Chrome browser.

Latest headache: My computer won't recognize my Nexus as a data device. In the past, there was an option on the Nexus that appeared when it was plugged in. No longer the case.

Spent an hour on this already. Right now, I'm trying a solution that involves installing a huge media service pack thing.

The advantages of Win 10 have not outweighed the headaches at this point.

I did find a media player which somewhat plays Quicktime movies, so that's one hurdle I got over with Win 10. Last night was another moment of truth as I updated my GPS' Maps with Garmin's map updating software without issue. So, looks like no turning back for me with Win 10. Yet, just in case, I do have an image of my computer in Win 7 for some "I'm not totally convinced peace of mind".

Last edited:
Two hours on this issue, and still no joy.

Here's another example of the little difficulties you have to go through:

https://youtu.be/Lrm4XtjzFII

You can see from the comments that this complicated, bizarre fix doesn't work for many people (including me). However, this solution:

Solved File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes.. - Windows 10 Forums

Does work.

I'm almost ready to revert to Win 8.1, but I'm worried that even after I do that, the problems with my Nexus won't be solved. That is, in trying to fix the interface, I think I've screwed up my Nexus.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 back in early March, I have one nagging, chronic problem: I keep getting the following error message from time to time:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Sometimes I get a similar message about a gigabyte adapter not running properly.

I run the Troubleshooter which fixes the problem (I can't gain internet access) sometimes. Sometimes, I have to run it as an Administrator which often fixes the problem(s). Turning the modem off and on also works much of the time. When those fail, I have to reboot the system. One time, I had to run System Restore back to an earlier point to fix things. I did an online search to find a more permanent solution but most of those were too complicated or risky for me to try. Anyone else here run into this thing?

I'm looking forward to July 29. I'm hoping the nag will go away and I won't have to manually hide updates anymore. I hope they follow through and start charging for it. I doubt they'll be able push it so aggravatingly if it's not free anymore.

Since I upgraded to Windows 10 back in early March, I have one nagging, chronic problem: I keep getting the following error message from time to time:

"one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

My solution for all problems like this is it google the error message.

https://www.google.com/search?q=one...re+missing+on+this+computer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Then you'll find that thousands of people (or more) have the same problem, and, if you're lucky, you'll find some solutions that will work.

Here's a video related to that error:

https://youtu.be/G3DpeeXLSDM

Last edited:
I'm on my Windows 10 updated Dell right now--all works okay as far as what I need it for except it will not connect to wifi, so I have it plugged into the router when I need it for finances. Which is pretty much all I use it for, so that's actually a pretty big deal.... OTOH I am loving the macbook pro that DH gave me shortly after the Windows 10 update on the Dell. The Dell came with the Windows 8 OS, so I don't think I had the option to install Windows 7, which I loved.

Right now I am preparing psychologically for the major "Redstone" update to Windows 10 that is expected this summer. Some websites say this will be a huge update, almost like a whole new OS. Others say there won't be many changes at all. I guess there is a lot more speculating than there is knowledge about it, out there in internet land.

Microsoft has not given a date for the Redstone update, but websites seem to think it will be at the end of July to be at about the one year anniversary of Windows 10. Updates seem to happen on Tuesdays a lot, so my completely wild and unsupported guess on that is July 26th. Supposedly it will actually be two updates, not one, "R1" and "R2", but I'm not sure if that is verified.

Anyway, the changes that are made should stir up a hornet's nest among those Windows 10 users who don't like changes sprung on them by surprise like this.

I hope Microsoft's Redstone update goes better than Viacom's. Who is in charge of these names, anyway?

Anyway, the changes that are made should stir up a hornet's nest among those Windows 10 users who don't like changes sprung on them by surprise like this.
And five years from now, once this is well-established as the way things are (especially in light of the fact that it is the way things have been for the Android OS for a while now), some people will have forgotten it ever worked any other way.

I had a close call with Windows 10 today (Wednesday). I couldn't boot it up but had the tiny thumb drive I bought back in March to run the Windows Repair facility. But I didn't figure out right away which drive the W10 OS was on (it was on E:, not C: ) so the CHKDSK repair program didn't work. But once I figured that out, CHKDSK worked and fixed everything up and W10 booted up normally.

Last edited:
I crossed over to the 10 side. Everything seems in place, and ok. This is newer Dell hardware, so I didn't expect many gotchas. I'm sure something will arise, and Ill have to research it, but so far, it is fine.

Now where did I see the link for article that tells you how to protect your privacy? I turned off everything in the setup screens.

Now where did I see the link for article that tells you how to protect your privacy? I turned off everything in the setup screens.
I don't know which article you meant. Here are some that I bookmarked last summer, that talk about what you may or may not want to do in order to "tighten down" for security/privacy reasons. I don't remember which one is the best.

http://www.eweek.com/security/slideshows/how-to-lock-down-windows-10s-privacy-settings.html?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EWK_NL_BOE_20150814_STR2L2&dni=267920379&rni=25597499

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/stop-windows-10-telemetry-and-other-data-collecting-489571.shtml

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Last edited:
We run both MacOS and Windows 10 (via Parallels) on one of our Macbook Pro computers. Works great!

I don't know which article you meant. Here are some that I bookmarked last summer, that talk about what you may or may not want to do in order to "tighten down" for security/privacy reasons. I don't remember which one is the best.
Thanks for posting. I'll read all.

I picked other - because I bought a new computer a few weeks ago, and it has Windows 10. Seems OK so far. We were still on Vista! :)

So, how much does Windows 10 cost after the free upgrade period?

So, how much does Windows 10 cost after the free upgrade period?

Here's a general idea:

If you want Windows 10, but are procrastinating, it’s time to act. Come July 29, upgrading won’t be free anymore, meaning Windows 10 will cost you at least $120.

That’s according to a statement sent by Microsoft to enthusiast blog WinBeta. A Microsoft rep told that site that, after July 29, users can “purchase Windows 10 through the Microsoft Store or Microsoft retail partners.”

So, what are those suggested price? Windows 10 Home currently costs $120, while Windows 10 Pro costs $200. Upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro, meanwhile, costs $100.

Windows 10 Isn't Free For Much Longer, Will Cost $120 | Digital Trends

Back
Top Bottom