Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10?
Yes - I want the "Latest and Greatest" 63 22.91%
Yes - But only when forced to 64 23.27%
No - I'm sticking to Win 8, 8.1 18 6.55%
No - I'm sticking to Win 7, XP or prior 74 26.91%
I don't do Windows 39 14.18%
Other 17 6.18%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #341
Administrator

If I am not mistaken the offer of no-cost Win 10 upgrade has now expired.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They were trying to hit a billion devices on W10 but fell short.

So now what, they're going to charge for upgrades?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #343
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
They were trying to hit a billion devices on W10 but fell short.

So now what, they're going to charge for upgrades?
It's going to take MS paying me.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:06 AM   #344
Give me a forum ...

They will allow hackers to break into your Win 7 PC, then you will cry your eyes out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:12 AM   #345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
They will allow hackers to break into your Win 7 PC, then you will cry your eyes out.
I have liquid tears close by if I need extra.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #346
Give me a forum ...

Be careful your tears do not short out the keyboard and ruin it, adding insult to injury.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #347
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Be careful your tears do not short out the keyboard and ruin it, adding insult to injury.
If Win 7 craps out on me, it won't matter anyway.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #348
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I have liquid tears close by if I need extra.
Another non-upgrader (n-UP) here. The good thing about the expiration of the free upgrade is now those annoying countdown upgrade notifications will end.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Well, the laptop that I use the most has been spared the upgrade.

Meanwhile, my wife (my guinea pig) has not complained about her PC. So far so good.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #350
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

From what I have read, the Aug 2 anniversary update will only be applied to computers that have been running Win 10 for 30 days or longer - i.e. past the rollback window. Win 10 pro users can delay the update for up to 4 months.

Windows 10 tip: Temporarily delay the Anniversary Update | ZDNet
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
From what I have read, the Aug 2 anniversary update will only be applied to computers that have been running Win 10 for 30 days or longer - i.e. past the rollback window. Win 10 pro users can delay the update for up to 4 months.

Windows 10 tip: Temporarily delay the Anniversary Update | ZDNet
Oh that's good to know! Thank you. I'll stop feeling so sorry for those that upgraded at the last minute, then. I was pretty concerned for their plight.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:21 AM   #352

I have an HP Photosmart C5100 and it's working fine. I didn't do anything special to get it to work with Windows 10.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #353
Give me a forum ...

Upgraded main command center to Win 10 mid-june. The laptop with Win 7 will remain that way, as I need to maintain that with same MSO 2007, full Acrobat 9, etc. I set it up in upstairs think tank for general use.

Only one error so far with win 10. WH_Uncorrectable_error left system on blue screen, telling me information was being collected. Probably Russians.
There was no minidump collected as the upgrade turned that off. So I was left guessing about the culprit. Likely a USB device going wonky.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Installing the Anniversary update right now, and posting on my iPad. 35 minutes so far from beginning the download to being 35% complete with the installation. Slow, but not impossible despite the server demand that Microsoft must be experiencing.

"Working on updates 0%. Don't turn off your PC. This will take a while. Your PC will restart several times."

The reason I am posting this is to illustrate that this update TAKES TIME. Do not begin unless you have several hours.
Final edit: It took about 2 hours to download, update, and then go through my settings to make sure everything was the same. Really it doesn't seem like they changed much. Since I am a privacy enthusiast (nut?), I never had a Microsoft account anyway so I am not logged into Cortana. I guess I don't need to do anything else about Cortana.

It did take forever, but basically everything seems fine now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #355
Recycles dryer sheets

I bit the bullet a week ago Monday. Initially, it went fairly well. The only problem was an issue with wifi, which I was able to fix. All my programs worked. I tried, and instantly disliked the Edge browser. I started to use Chrome. I also checked out some of the built in apps. Meh.

After a few days, Chrome started to take a looong time to load. I spent many hours trying to fix it. Each thing seemed to work a bit initially, but then ultimately failed. I gave up and found the IE browser. As part of my attempt to address the Chrome problem, I discovered that the one of the Settings screens (Update and Security) would hang. Tried many fixes for this, including running some scans that look for and correct corrupted files. No joy. I noticed that the weather app was also very slow to load, but refreshes quickly. Again, no luck with a fix.

I decided to wait for the Anniversary update and see if that cleared up these problems. If not, my plan was to reinstall Win 10.

Then, on Monday, one week after the install, I got the blue screen of death. A quick search on my phone, led me to run the same scans to look for corrupted files. No message that anything was corrected. However, after a reboot, problems with slow loading software and the unresponsive Settings screen disappeared! I'm really don't understand what happened here, but I am glad to see that my Anniversary update will not happen yet for me.

I am not really happy with Microsoft . I spent many, many hours on these issues.
Likes_to_Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #356

Although the free upgrade end has come, it appears to still be working. I have upgraded several PCs after the 07/29 deadline ( one today ) and they all show to be permanently activated on the status window
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #357
Give me a forum ...

By loading from a DVD, you mean? Perhaps MS just stopped pushing the online upgrade, but does nothing to prevent people loading it by other means.

I already downloaded and made 3 DVDs of the Win 10 versions that I could use on my PCs: Pro and Home 64 bit, and Home 32 bit. Just went on MS site, and saw that the free download has been removed, and they now want $119.99 for the Home version and $199 for the Pro.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #358
Gone but not forgotten

I despise Windows 10. Slow to load, and the full desktop that I use to navigate, will not come up without teasing.

Having used the windows file hierarchy, the forced change to using Microsoft "libraries" and to reorganize four different systems is a time consuming nuisance.

"Groove' player (Zune) took over my VLC preference, and is virtually impossible to delete without going in to the registry. Microsoft... "my way or the highway!"

I have Win 10 on four desktops and one laptop. Locked in to a bad deal. Will go to Apple next time... despite the cost.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #359

I am really fed up with the whole Windows 10 debacle.

I got it with my PC (new buy this year), and got ransomware (Cerber) on it this weekend. It's been 20 years since I got any type of virus or malware, and I still haven't figured out how it got here. I suspect through the Outlook preview pane.

Thing encrypted all my files and tried to hold me ransom (pay in bitcoin) to decrypt. Lucky me I had cloud backup in place, so I just factory reset the entire system and reverted the cloud files. Yes, I had all sorts of protection, to no avail apparently.

So not only do I get forced updates, telemetry and ads unless I push back hard, it's less safe too. Not to mention backwards compatibility broke with several older programs (yes programs, not "apps" ). Oh, and the display driver crashes regularly.

Linux Mint will be arriving soon on this apparatus. I shoved Outlook out of the window already (never used Edge). Just need to find a quiet day or two.

And it won't be dual boot either: Reports are coming in that the Windows 10 update sometimes breaks the MBR and deletes other OS'es installed next to it.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I despise Windows 10. Slow to load
I upgraded my Windows 8 laptop and boot time went from about 35 seconds down to 4 seconds.

YMMV.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote