Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you still have a land line phone?
Yes 101 74.81%
No 34 25.19%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No, we did away with the land line three years ago and probably won't ever have one again. Everyone in our family has cell service with the same carrier so 90% of our long distance calling uses no allotted minutes. Our land line became a wasteful duplication.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
And I am amused that one talks about the "land line". Isn't your internet connection a "land line"?
Mine isn't. The only "land line" internet service available out in the sticks is dial-up. So, just like my phone service, my internet is via a cell phone (air card). And just like my phone, it goes with me wherever I go - I'm sending this from Corvallis, OR...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
We have a kid in the house without a cell phone.
The 20-year old phone has a handset with a cord.

And I am amused that one talks about the "land line". Isn't your internet connection a "land line"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Mine isn't. The only "land line" internet service available out in the sticks is dial-up. So, just like my phone service, my internet is via a cell phone (air card). And just like my phone, it goes with me wherever I go - I'm sending this from Corvallis, OR...
And I'm another variety of "phone in the house that is not a cell phone" - I have VOIP through internet, but my internet to my house is wireless. Antenna on the roof picks up a signal from a tower a few miles away.

So, I don't consider it a "land line" phone, it is VOIP. I think we had this discussion recently - there is "POTS land line" (Plain Old Telephone System), there is DSL, and there are other ways to have a POTS-style phone in your home, like connecting it to a VOIP adapter to your internet connection.

-ERD50
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Finally a poll where a simple yes or no covers it! Yup, still have a land line but have considered dumping it since DH and I have cells.
...and there I was, looking for that alternate response- like
"Yup, still have a land line but have considered dumping it since DH/DW and I have cells."
Old 07-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We just went back to a LL when we retired. For about 10 years before retiring, we had only cell phones. The cell phones were costing us $120/month for unlimited long distance, which I swear we needed. Now we're paying $50/month for AT&T with unlimited long distance. Its rather freeing to be in the car or shopping and no one can call you!
Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We currently have a VOIP land line and my DW has a pre-paid cell phone that we share now that I'm retired.

One question for those of you without land lines. If you both want to talk to the same person at the same time, how do you do it? That's the main reason I haven't thought too much about getting rid of the land line yet.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a land line with DSL. I do not want cable TV so it's a landline or some wireless thing that isn't reliable around here (I've heard) for my internet.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
I have a land line with DSL. I do not want cable TV so it's a landline or some wireless thing that isn't reliable around here (I've heard) for my internet.
Now here is the possibility for another poll. How many people have cable TV? I have been tempted to 86 my cable TV since DH and I seldom watch the thing. Can't get DH to go along with that at this point however.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the thread. It prompted me to take a critical look at my land line service. Today I cancelled call waiting, call screening and call display. I will save $21 per month. I need to keep the land line as I am a physician and am required to have one. Also, my house alarm uses it.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Now here is the possibility for another poll. How many people have cable TV? I have been tempted to 86 my cable TV since DH and I seldom watch the thing. Can't get DH to go along with that at this point however.
Good point. We're paying over $50/month for essentially HGTV with a viewing option on a few other voyeuristic entertainment channels.

But I guess HGTV would fit in that category too...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
If you both want to talk to the same person at the same time, how do you do it?
I thought that was considered rude?

Our phones have speakerphone capability...

Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I need to keep the land line as I am a physician and am required to have one.
Interesting. Is that a canada specific or province specific law?
Old 07-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #33

Probably employment specific...

Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought that was considered rude?

Our phones have speakerphone capability...
That's the only way I ever get to talk.

I hadn't really considered the speaker phone option, but they are getting better. Definitely worth considering.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Probably employment specific...
Yes, but it makes sense.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #36
Confused about dryer sheets

Gads,

I quit the landline years ago. But I had to get it again last year because of a situation where I needed to upload visa/mc transactions. Qwest wouldn't give me a break for a simple data line. Had to pay $30 per month. I wouldn't give them a nickel for any kind of service now.

The cable company let me keep internet and dump TV cable. I told them I'd pay for TV on an a la carte basis (ESPN, etc.,) but couldn't subsidize paid gasbags on CNBC, MSNBC, Fox, etc. They don't get it.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a landline and we both have cells. I do not like to talk on a cell phone very long for the same reason as Jim's phobia. I also like to be able to walk freely while on a phone and will lose the connection every once in a while. I just signed up today for the bundle package of unlimited long distance on the landline and DSL for the internet. I will admit that my sister and I are like Walt's wife, we can easily talk 1 to 1 1/2 hours on the phone a few times per week. I do not talk to my brother as often, but when he calls we are on the phone 1 to 1 1/2 hours also. Our cell phone bill runs $85.00 per month and we don't hardly use any of the minutes. That is money that we are throwing away each month. I need to tackle that situation next. I don't know if I can convince my DH to go to a prepaid cell phone. I am considering not having one at all. The only time that I have been in an accident, I had forgotten to bring my cell phone with me.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i have a cell with unlimited minutes, free mobile to mobile, alltel, $60/mo. I used about 3500 min/month and dont see the need for a landline (my wife gets free long distance on her cell plan, so we're covered)
Old 08-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Landline is part of an All-in-One package for Internet, security, fire alarm system. Landline is great for those really long calls to friends from the past, since it is free long distance. Cell phones are used only as needed.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave up all our land lines in a 3-person family last spring and we love it. Call quality is comparable. Cheaper and much simpler. Kept DSL with AT&T but no voice service.