Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do You Still Have Stuff From W*rk Days?
No - that was in the past 16 21.33%
Yes - for sentimental or other reasons 44 58.67%
Yes - just in case I make a comeback 6 8.00%
Other 9 12.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still have plenty of stuff from past work. They are mostly in digital form, hence take no room, though some are in floppies and would be difficult to extract. And then, the software that understands these files may only run under old Windows versions, etc...

Oh, but I still have the most important thing from the old time, which I would never want to lose.

It's MONEY!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I didn't keep much. A logo leather portfolio and laptop bag and a handful of reference materials (though most of our key reference materials were electronic). A thumb drive with a lot of old docs and emails. I thought that I had kept a few lucites from some deals I worked on but I don't see them here so I must have chucked them (or they are in a box in the attic).

Old 07-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

A few programming books, in case I need them for volunteer work. Some awards and useful logo stuff like t-shirts, a cooler, etc. I dumped all the manuals and documents specific to my job.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I started several years ago converting everything to digital, scanning and more scanning and then shredding the paper versions. I had a copy of every paper or article I had ever written (over 100 boxes of paper)...

Eventually I came to the realization that I am never going to use them again so I started shredding and forgetting about the digitization unless it made a mark some where in life... I now have one 2 drawer filing cabinet, two boxes and 6 CDs...

Books, Magazines, Paperbacks - the same. I went from having enough books to fill up a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer to the top (almost every book I have ever read) to keeping maybe 100 of the best - the ones that might be worth something someday (already sold a few)...

Now I am tackling the other side... Nick Nacks and Furniture... A long road ahead - these have to be approved by the better half in my life (LOL) I was in total control with the stuff stated above...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Flow-chart template? I not only have that, I still have my SLIDERULE.
I have my log log slide rule as well as my grandfathers 20 inch rule. Both are now museum pieces. Also have awards, as well as backpacks etc from various conferences, and a couple of notebooks from courses at work.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Textbooks...donated to the public library
Published papers....shredded
Business card...kept exactly 1 copy for posterity
Diploma...in a frame but not displayed on any wall
Awards, training certificates and college transcripts...in the records file
Nameplate in a triangular wooden base...still have it
Invention records and patent awards...in the records file
Necessary personnel records for proof of employment and benefits...fully intact in the records file. I cannot apply for my deferred FERS retirement (MRA+10) for another 2 years.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 PM   #27

Got retirement plaque from last job, and from the one gubment job I lost due to politics. Some framed photos, and somehow an envelope with one business card from each of the 8 jobs I had professionally. Could easily toss it all, but not my framed and glassed in oak box that displays my grandfather's, my dad's, and my slide rules. Guess I have to figure out whether my son or daughter (engineers) inherit that!

Since I have now decided I'll not work again, there's a lot of junk I need to go through to just plain declutter...work and otherwise.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

All I saved was my pocket protector and my ID badge, which still gets me discounts.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, lots of work stuff - for both DH and I. Noticed how much since DH and I moved recently. Working on consolidating it into one big box. Awards, business cards, official ID cards, etc, etc, etc.

Easy to put it all into a box. Not so easy to get it out of my mind. Still dream about work stuff pretty frequently! Man, what's wrong with me?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Technically, even though I'm not yet retired, I couldn't take anything that wasn't already mine. I work for the State so all the stuff that belongs to work, stays at work. Fine with me, I don't want any of it anyway! Being "from" work but something of mine that I took there, such as my diplomas, shouldn't stay there anyway.

I'm still trying to understand my feelings today. I was kind of pissed but not certain at who or why. I think it may be at me because I hit a new level of understanding that I REALLY DON'T CARE ANYMORE and I should leave for that reason alone. On the other hand, I kind of feel like I've been dumped on the past five years +/- so I'll just keep on riding along for another 10 mos or so until I'm ready to do it on my terms.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had a big "purge" before I moved to my retirement destination. Although I saved sentimental stuff like my children's artwork, I did not feel sentimental about work so whatever had any value went to the thrift store along with a bazillion other "things" I was storing in my home. It felt great to move with only what I needed or loved.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
<snip>
I'm still trying to understand my feelings today. I was kind of pissed but not certain at who or why. I think it may be at me because I hit a new level of understanding that I REALLY DON'T CARE ANYMORE and I should leave for that reason alone. On the other hand, I kind of feel like I've been dumped on the past five years +/- so I'll just keep on riding along for another 10 mos or so until I'm ready to do it on my terms.
Could be the 100+ degree heat....
Old 07-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #33

The only thing I saved from work was some of the money I earned so I could get the heck outta there. Oh yeah, I did keep one suit so DW will have something to send me off in.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #34

When I pulled the plug at w*rk, I left everything there. I either passed the stuff down to the poor saps that I left behind, or else I tossed it into the dumpster. I had absolutely no desire to keep any 'souvenirs'. The past is past, and I didn't want anything to hold me there. I have no regrets about that decision either! It was only a job......it wasn't my life!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
When I pulled the plug at w*rk, I left everything there. I either passed the stuff down to the poor saps that I left behind, or else I tossed it into the dumpster. I had absolutely no desire to keep any 'souvenirs'. The past is past, and I didn't want anything to hold me there. I have no regrets about that decision either! It was only a job......it wasn't my life!
I admire your spirit! Know I'm way too much mired in the past. You've got it right Goonie.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still have some of my books.
I have the source code for the products, hoping to work on improving and adding features on the products which I also have.
I have a scope that I bought from the company just after I left.
I kept them just in case I get bored. A year and a half after retirement, I have not touched any of them and don't expect to touch them in the near future.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #37

I forgot about a few items I kept from work over the years. Those included my evaluations and some old business cards such as those from when my company was located in the World Trade Center, something which has more than sentimental value. I also kept a copy of my most prized item - my letter of resignation - and another prized item, my last train ticket which the conductor did not collect (thankfully). I wrote the date on it and a note.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #38

Only the scars.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #39

I'm not even retired yet and have already thrown away every sales award I had received from megacorp. They were big clunky crystal thingamajigs that no longer had meaning to me so i took pics of them for posterity and tossed them in the trash. It was incredibly freeing to throw them away because those 10 years were some of the most stressful of my life.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 AM   #40

I have a voluminous collection of things from mega corp that I thought would be useful someday. To have any hope of downsizing, I am starting to purge the paper collection from my man cave, but will probably keep various awards, photos, and a few other items.